Johnny Rabb.

m

very versatile and creative, and a nice fellow.
Met him when he did a Vdrum clinic in my town, and saw him again a few weeks ago at NAMM.
His open-hand trick (free hand? I forget what he calls it) is kind of interesting, where he works a one-handed roll into his rhythms.

Qbs

m":3ujqzxlm said:
His open-hand trick (free hand? I forget what he calls it) is kind of interesting, where he works a one-handed roll into his rhythms.
I totally agree :) I've been working on this technique for some time now and as far as I'm concerned the hard part is not getting 16th notes with one hand but incorporating it into rhythms - it's a tricky coordination thing

Bigredfndz

Qbs":3eakgz13 said:
m":3eakgz13 said:
I totally agree :) I've been working on this technique for some time now and as far as I'm concerned the hard part is not getting 16th notes with one hand but incorporating it into rhythms - it's a tricky coordination thing
Gravity Blasts is what your talking about, no?

Gaddabout

Johnny Rabb is a new class of drummer that has taken advanced concepts of technique to new levels. I like it. But I'm still waiting for that moment when I hear it applied in ways that move me. I'm still waiting for the Rabbs of the world to do something that takes me somewhere besides a clinic.

He's certainly capable of it.

mattsmith

Gaddabout":32ckhca6 said:
Johnny Rabb is a new class of drummer that has taken advanced concepts of technique to new levels. I like it. But I'm still waiting for that moment when I hear it applied in ways that move me. I'm still waiting for the Rabbs of the world to do something that takes me somewhere besides a clinic.

He's certainly capable of it.
I think that wait will soon be over for the larger group of drummers. Because he can also groove very seriously in a very musical way, the whole Rabb vibe is starting to catch on to where you see older guys getting into it and not just guys my age trying to master a one handed roll. I think its easy for people to obsess about the technique largely because of his WFD association, but that too will change with time. Mainly his demeanor will put him over. I've worked with him in the WFD shows and he's as nice a guy as they come.

Flatliner

nice guy, great grooves. What I like the most about him is the passion he has and how he's really defined his playing style.

When I think Rabb only positive things come to mind. One day I'll get around to that free hand stuff, love what he does with it and see so much potential with it.

Qbs

Bigredfndz":mxvysvlw said:
Qbs":mxvysvlw said:
m":mxvysvlw said:
Gravity Blasts is what your talking about, no?
I don't know what are gravity blasts but I was talking about the one-hand drum roll that uses the drum's hoop for better rebound