jeez... Stupid drums bein so stupid expensive

Piddywiffle

Went to the drum shop and got new heads for my toms. Went home and started setten em up with the new heads. Got Done with the mounted toms and thought, "Hmmmm... I'de like to try something else with these." So I started "redesigning" me set up. Well the stupid bunny ear looken ball mounts for the mounted toms on my tama is crummy at best. But Oh well. I started moven it around and worked with it for almost 45 mins and ended up stripping one of the swivel locks. BOY! Back to the drum shop to get somethin else. Ended up with a $30 gilbraltar mount for my crash stand and 2 more swivel locks for a total of $40. Not to mention the heads which was almost another $50.

Grand total: Salty :(

Gaddabout

I was just trying to explain to another guitarist that the buy-in for any kind of performance-ready equipment for a new drummer is exponentially more than for a guitarist. How much would a new guitarist expect to pay for an OK guitar an amp? 400? 450? For a drummer, after cymbals, it's at least twice as much. $500 for the kit and hardware and $500 more for a low-end set of cymbals that don't sound like trash can lids (i.e. not the B8s or the cheap bronze Zildjians).

However, drummers don't HAVE to upgrade, because the difference between a $500 set of Exports and a $1,200 mid-range kit is probably shell dimension and wood. The sound is not exponentially different, although the price is. You could theoretically upgrade the hardware in your entry-level kit and play the thing most of a pro career, assuming you buy quality heads and know how to tune. You can't say that for guitarists. They end up buying multiple guitars for this effect or that sound.

wombat_drums

yeah. ive been having the same thoughts lately to. I just bought a new 18" crash because the last one nroke. ( i broke a zildjian andended up getting an alchemy professional, sounds absolutley awesome I completely recomend) and have to get some new skins for next w/end. so having to cough up a fair bit of money but if you love it you'll spend the money. and its well worth it in the end. it just sucks that i ended up choosing to play the most expenisive instrument in the band. guitarist get things to damn easy!

Piddywiffle

Gaddabout":2udiylnz said:
I was just trying to explain to another guitarist that the buy-in for any kind of performance-ready equipment for a new drummer is exponentially more than for a guitarist. How much would a new guitarist expect to pay for an OK guitar an amp? 400? 450? For a drummer, after cymbals, it's at least twice as much. $500 for the kit and hardware and $500 more for a low-end set of cymbals that don't sound like trash can lids (i.e. not the B8s or the cheap bronze Zildjians).

However, drummers don't HAVE to upgrade, because the difference between a $500 set of Exports and a $1,200 mid-range kit is probably shell dimension and wood. The sound is not exponentially different, although the price is. You could theoretically upgrade the hardware in your entry-level kit and play the thing most of a pro career, assuming you buy quality heads and know how to tune. You can't say that for guitarists. They end up buying multiple guitars for this effect or that sound.
Haha, i told my room mate ALMOST the same thing earlier today. He was sayen how expensive drums are and I countered, "true, but when you buy that $1,000 guitar you've been wanten and the full stack and P.A? Your looken at a pretty pricey set up."

He just kinda grunted and started doing something else.

HIS grand total: Salty :wink:

Pac tink

ha i keep tellin my guitarist the same thing...but once u get those pedals and that pa ur all set...but if u break something on ur drums well...lets hope u have a deep check book.

FelterSkelter

Cheap stands and hardware seem good enough in the store, its when you get 3 months down the road and your wingnuts barely hold, your top high hat creeps up the rod with any kind of foot pressure, your beater flies out halfway through the song.... etc.

That extra $50 for a quality stand, you will find, is usually worth it in the end.

Susanboy

Yeah. My set came with a cheap stand, and I went to buy another one that was a little more expensive then a thought. Boy am I glad I got it, it works great. The cheap one isn't horrible, but it's a little shakey.

You can get lucky buying cheap cymbals, I got a really good planet Z, but I still think a good expensive cymbal sounds better then the best cheap one.

trstn

I need a new snare stand ...
and a stand for splashes, and a new boom thing to put on my right DW stand ...
and splashes ...
and another crash with stand ...
*sigh* and a new ride ...

sometime ...

rock
trstn