Jazz songs

Marki

hey
I'd like to hear some jazz music with good drumming in it, does anyone have any suggestions?

loop

Try some jazz records with Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa. Both of them are(or used to be) amazing drummers

Qbs

My favourites would have to be "Dat Dere" by Art Blakey and "Easy Muffin" by Amon Tobin :)

Shalaq

Any album by Diana Krall- they all feature great drummers- I especially like the one with Peter Erskine, but the ones with Jeff Hamilton are also very good.

FunkyDrummer

I dig the drumming on "So What" by Miles Davis & John Coltrane. Unfortunately I have no idea who the drummer is :(

draconic

you guys should all check out karizma's "document" the best live recording i've ever heard and of course it features the grand master, vinnie colaiuta. brutal stuff.

Dale

The best thing to do is buy some compilations. Get some for big band, small group, cool jazz, vocal etc etc.

That's the best way. Then go from there.

Animal

juNgle beatZ":l36l5ebd said:
I love "take five" with that great solo by Joe Morello
Speaking of the Dave Brubeck Quartet;

Listen to Blue Rondo ala TÃ¥rk! Greatest jazz-song of all time! :D

Johnny Cat

FunkyDrummer":3o0ljkxg said:
I dig the drumming on "So What" by Miles Davis & John Coltrane. Unfortunately I have no idea who the drummer is :(
If you're talking about the performance on Kind of Blue, the drummer was Jimmy Cobb. My favorite Miles album. I really prefer Elvin behind the kit though. Fantastic brushwork. "It's like making a soufle" as he used to say.

My favorites for jazz are usually the Buddy Rich Big Band (Westside Story medley, just amazing!), Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, etc. I really dig the swing and the bebop greats. More laid back stuff I usually go for Miles Davis.

Homki890

Animal":p3kp30g9 said:
juNgle beatZ":p3kp30g9 said:
I love "take five" with that great solo by Joe Morello
Speaking of the Dave Brubeck Quartet;

Listen to Blue Rondo ala TÃ¥rk! Greatest jazz-song of all time! :D
AWESOME song, we played it for my jazz band. 9/8 latin to 4/4 swing. Fun. Also, Im not sure it has an Umlaut on the "U." I could be wrong, but last I checked it didn't.

Great jazz, in my opinion, must be heard. Therefore, anything by the late, great Maynard Ferguson is awesome.

Cozy Cole is an amazing jazz drummer. Check him out.

Homki890

Animal

Homki890":2gfn6qrv said:
AWESOME song, we played it for my jazz band. 9/8 latin to 4/4 swing. Fun. Also, Im not sure it has an Umlaut on the "U." I could be wrong, but last I checked it didn't.
I've been playing it also, without question one of the funniest things I ever played! (as in "great", that is!)

About the Umlaut, I simply guessed that "TÃ¥rk" was spelt the same way as "TÃ¥rkey", hence the umlaut. But you are probably right. :wink:

Anyway, Joe Morello is outstanding on the legendary "Time Out" that dates as far back as 1959! Awsome and really inventive drumming that really stand the test of time.

"Time Out" from 1959 is my all time favorite jazz-record!
8)

chino_is_god

pretty much all jazz drumming is good. what about return to forever, or weather report, to take a slightly different direction. polar bear is my favourite modern day band of the moment - great drumming, great grooves.

stump

Johnny Cat":31kevbdf said:
FunkyDrummer":31kevbdf said:
If you're talking about the performance on Kind of Blue, the drummer was Jimmy Cobb. My favorite Miles album. I really prefer Elvin behind the kit though. Fantastic brushwork. "It's like making a soufle" as he used to say.

My favorites for jazz are usually the Buddy Rich Big Band (Westside Story medley, just amazing!), Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, etc. I really dig the swing and the bebop greats. More laid back stuff I usually go for Miles Davis.
Agreed! Peace!