three rack toms,
one floor tom,
one hi-hat,
two crashes,
one splash,
one ride,
one china,
one z-bell (on top of my ride).

currently, i just play in a punk band and that's normal for me. however, i just signed up to play in a school-musical (yes it's dorky but i'm ok with that). anyway, it's a lot of theatrical-type music and there will be very little room, so they asked me if i could just bring a 'jazz set.'

so, first, what's a 'jazz set'? i've seen a bunch of different set-ups used by jazz drummers, some bigger than mine, so what's that supposed to mean, coming from a non-drummer, non-jazz person? second, i haven't scaled down my set up for a long time. this should be interesting.

i was thinking about being very space conscious and using my floor tom as the kick, which i've seen poor touring bands do when they're forced to tour in a geo. anyone done this before?

mute

yeah, but i was wondering, what's the harm in two rack toms? the extra one can't take up too much more room.

that being said, i'll probably do the four piece like you say but maybe just use one crash as a crash/ride.

seandude

i would say one rack one floor and snare bass ride hats and one crash
and if ur looking for a nice jazz set i would say gretcsh is my fav.
and i would suj. K dark ride or sabians hhxs

christopherabruce

In this case, it's most likely that jazz set means a small set, and small as in number of drums and not sizes. I suggest that you're best off bringing a four piece using your normal bass drum. After your first rehearal you will know if you need to scale-down your drum sizes.
mute":2vtcdeds said:
so, first, what's a 'jazz set'? i've seen a bunch of different set-ups used by jazz drummers, some bigger than mine, so what's that supposed to mean, coming from a non-drummer, non-jazz person? second, i haven't scaled down my set up for a long time. this should be interesting.

i was thinking about being very space conscious and using my floor tom as the kick, which i've seen poor touring bands do when they're forced to tour in a geo. anyone done this before?

iampoor

yep, a jazz set is a smaller kit.

Just use a 4 piece. You'll pay more attention o the music, and if you need more you can allways bring more drums.

mute

seandude":3m6o1r04 said:
luckily, i have a gretsch! it's a catalina birch and obviously their lower line but, whatever, i always wanted one. one of those irrational wants you know? (i still want a gretsch hollow body brian setzer model guitar, too, even though i know they feedback like crazy). i won't be buying new cymbals just for this gig but i will take suggestions for a new hi-hat, since the crack in mine is definitely growing.

christopherabruce":3m6o1r04 said:
In this case, it's most likely that jazz set means a small set, and small as in number of drums and not sizes. I suggest that you're best off bringing a four piece using your normal bass drum. After your first rehearal you will know if you need to scale-down your drum sizes.
yeah, i was kind of joking about the using the floor tom thing and, if i do, it would be just for fun and ease of carrying around, more than anything.

seandude

mute":2erc3f8w said:
seandude":2erc3f8w said:
luckily, i have a gretsch! it's a catalina birch and obviously their lower line but, whatever, i always wanted one. one of those irrational wants you know? (i still want a gretsch hollow body brian setzer model guitar, too, even though i know they feedback like crazy). i won't be buying new cymbals just for this gig but i will take suggestions for a new hi-hat, since the crack in mine is definitely growing.

christopherabruce":2erc3f8w said:
yeah, i was kind of joking about the using the floor tom thing and, if i do, it would be just for fun and ease of carrying around, more than anything.
oh i was saying what would be good i dont have ks!
i have a gretchs catalina maple so lol were in the same boat but i LOVE it
mine are still awesome! my ride was 300! what kind do u have? what snare do u have aslo?

break the prism

my normal set for smaller combo gigs is...

22x16" bass drum
14x5.5" snare
12x9 tom
16x16 or 14x12 floor tom
16" crash
19" or 18" crash
20" ride
14" hats

pow3rtr1p

Get some mardi gras beads and hang them over the post of the ride cymbal stand. Then, when you play slower stuff, the ride will be all washy and pretty. I would say only one crash is needed, and just use the shoulder on the ride very rarely for crashes.

mute

seandude":37f36nld said:
mine are still awesome! my ride was 300! what kind do u have? what snare do u have aslo?
yeah, it's not the best set and i have a bit of problems with the hardware sometimes but overall i fucking love my gretsch! however, one day i might get myself a deeper floor tom. i have an old ride from the sabian pro pack. it was a shitty cymbal pack but i love the sound of the ride, so it's cool (you can see my other thread for more info - http://www.drumsmylife.com/looking-for- ... t8509.html). my snare is also an old random find. i think it's a dw but i'm not even sure. it's a 10' diameter snare that i got during a phase where i was really into piccolo snares. this one has the poppiness of the piccolo's that i like but is a lot fuller sounding. i've had it for years and still love it, though the snare that came with the gretsch set sounded good too. i also like the fact that this snare is so small, purely for positioning purposes.

seandude

mute":2x46fjzi said:
seandude":2x46fjzi said:
yeah, it's not the best set and i have a bit of problems with the hardware sometimes but overall i fucking love my gretsch! however, one day i might get myself a deeper floor tom. i have an old ride from the sabian pro pack. it was a shitty cymbal pack but i love the sound of the ride, so it's cool (you can see my other thread for more info - http://www.drumsmylife.com/looking-for- ... t8509.html). my snare is also an old random find. i think it's a dw but i'm not even sure. it's a 10' diameter snare that i got during a phase where i was really into piccolo snares. this one has the poppiness of the piccolo's that i like but is a lot fuller sounding. i've had it for years and still love it, though the snare that came with the gretsch set sounded good too. i also like the fact that this snare is so small, purely for positioning purposes.
fuck the hardwear i hate it and the tom is prity deep, i just moved the 12 over and took he ten right out it was pissin me off! lol but ya get a ludwig superphonic and weelll both have the same kit therefor well know wachother and stuff

haha jk

FiestyRedDrummEr

I play on a four piece for jazz.

All you only need is a small bass drum a floor tom a tom and a snare. My sizes are
8x12, 14x14, 14x18, 5x14 snare

As for cymbals I have hi hats, a 21" Zildjian K ride (which pairs really well with a 19" hybrid crash and a 16" Custom Series Crash.) and a 18" K Custom Session Ride.

tchfunkta

Bass drum ideally would be smaller, 18" being common (jazz bass drums need to be quieter in combos and often have some tone, not a thud or thump), and a fuller sounding snare than a piccolo, though you might be able to pull it off. Crashes aren't too important in a small group if you have thinner ride cymbals you can use the shoulder of the stick on.

BillRayDrums

12", 14" toms

13" snare

20" kick

ride and crash, sometimes 2 crashes, sometimes add two chinas or one. Hi-hats. Cowbell.

That's how I roll. load-in/set-up in 15 minutes, load out in about the same.

dwtoast72

I have an idea for you.... I don't know what your sizes are...so, I'll just throw this out there...
Omit your bass drum from the set-up. Convert your floor tom to be used as a kick (you'd need a cradle), use your 3rd rack tom as your low end with your (assuming.....) 10" tom as usuall. I've seen it done....just an idea..

kErmit vOn zOmbie

a simple 4 pc kit is what they are asking you for.. kick, snare, rack and floor + hats a ride and a crash. drum sizes... whatever you have available. understand you are playing jazz and not slayer and you will be fine. who gives a shit if it's a high school musical, it's a gig... and it beats not having a gig.... the only dorky thing is the cooler than thous who think it sucks

mute

dwtoast72":1yadgwae said:
I have an idea for you.... I don't know what your sizes are...so, I'll just throw this out there...
Omit your bass drum from the set-up. Convert your floor tom to be used as a kick (you'd need a cradle), use your 3rd rack tom as your low end with your (assuming.....) 10" tom as usuall. I've seen it done....just an idea..
mute":1yadgwae said:
christopherabruce":1yadgwae said:
cradle, huh? this would be fun, but in the end, i'd miss out on my bass drum, which is my ultimate love of my set.

anyway, it turns out that the set list may have siphoned all interest out of some of the other people involved, so it might fall through. we'll see. it kind of depends on how much money would be involved to get the excitement/commitment back up

ThePloughman

Or you could show off your skills, take a bass drum, snare, and one tom, two thin rides of varying sound, a set of hats.........and play.