jazz and latin beats

iplaydrums1

hey everyone,
just wondering if any of you knew any sites or could write/type out some good latin or jazz beats and rythms to practice. im trying to expand my styles and dont have enough money for books, so if any of you could help that would be awesome.

thanks a lot

.Daniel.

Sure u can, actually Jazz is more useful, because latin beats are just for... latin music =\ but jazz... it expands your whole world of playing...
anywayz, to the business..

Latin - i know just a few - Bossa Nova, basic Samba, something about 5-6 different Samba variation such as March Samba, Cha Cha, and probably some other grooves i can't remember right now...

as for the jazz... the basics for the jazz are the swing, and probably some shuffle grooves too.... just work on your coordination and left hand, so the way to learn how to play jazz will be easier.

I can't explain u how EXACTLY to play what patterns, i can write them down on Guitar Pro if u want to and send them to u, add me 2 msn
darchrist@gmail.com

mlumpkin13

I would like to expand my abilities to Jazz as well. Alot of the metal drummers that I look up to are Jazz based drummers. Joey Jordison of Slipknot, Matt McDonough of Mudvayne, Danny Carey of Tool.... The list just keeps going.

shootthedrummer

yea, on top of what everyone else said, utilizing jazz skills is quite beneficial, and youtube videos that could be cool for a amateur jazz player?

Flatliner

For maybe ten bucks at the most you can get joel rothman's "Reading, Rudiments, and Rock Drumming." The back end has a nice introduction to jazz and about 30 or so different types of styles of music including a lot of latin. Its worth picking up if your a beginer or just want some exposure to these things, the first half is good as well but more suited towards someone who's just started drums.

Dale

iplaydrums1":2xjhxjt9 said:
hey everyone,
just wondering if any of you knew any sites or could write/type out some good latin or jazz beats and rythms to practice. im trying to expand my styles and dont have enough money for books, so if any of you could help that would be awesome.

thanks a lot
Honestly, it can be tough to find a good way to work from a to b on the web. What you need is a book that starts at a certain point and then progresses in a specific way. I highly recomend you save up for a book. There are many books on jazz drumming. Peter Erskine's books are good. As are John Riley's books.

Also, there are no Jazz beats as such. Jazz drumming revolves around supplying a pulse that swings, as opposed to a 'beat'. I've never seen a page on the web that supplies a course for developing jazz independence for free. If you find one, let us know.