Its a dream, Why do people always put you down.

Deanoatc

My Dream is to become a drummer. I want to be a Professional Drummer and make it in a band or as a session and studio drummer. Its what I love and will live for. Most people look at me as if I am crazy saying, "Thats not realistic." "What are you gonna do for a job?" or the real jerks say, "You are never gonna make it." "Why even try, do you know how hard it is?" "Stop being immature, grow up and realize thats a fake dream." people have said this to me for a while now, and I just don't see why people can't dream anymore. I will always Drum, and Try to become what I want. Its my Dream and it is what pushes me along in life. Has anyone else been through this? What kind of advice does anyone have. thanks.

Rufio

Just remember that it's your choice. If you feel strongly enough, push with all you've got.

Don't let others sow the seeds of doubt in your head, it's your decision.

DISCLAIMER: I do not accept responsibility if you can't pay bills because of drums. :p

Rockula!

It depends on what your goal is and what you are willing to do to get there
If you mean that you want to earn a living playing the drums then you have TONS of options
However, if you want to be come a rich rock star who plays in front of 50 thousand people a night, going from stage to limo to hotel with a chick on each arm then you might need to adjust your vision

I spent most of my adult life chasing that "carrot on a stick"
Personally, I realise that I had conflicting goals
I wanted to be rich and famous and yet I did not want to play crappy music
However, I realised that the obscure musicians that I listened to spent a major potion of their time multi-tasking

If you wanna do sessions, that's great
There is a ton of work out there
You will need to do a couple of things
1- Learn to read music and be able to sight read very well
2- Study as many styles as possible
3- Build a professional drumkit that can apply to virtually any situation
4- Become as familiar with recording as possible (see if there is a local recording studio that will allow you to "intern")
5- Develop good networking and social skills (it's not what you know, it's WHO you know)

Ever read Modern Drummer and notice these people are constantly working?
It's because they have established a reputation as reliable (playing and working wise)
You could be the best drummer on the planet but you aren't going to get the job if you are ans a-hole (in a working environment that is)

Only 1 in a couple of thousand of us are even going to taste what the rock star life is like
Nowadays, it doesn't even seem worth it
Maybe it's because I'm old and never got asked to dance

Pete LaRussa

I'm 22 years going strong as a drummer/guitarist/bassist/vocalist (now at age 30).

I've had people tell me that "Music is a Hobby" and not to be "pursued as a career choice". Just a few months ago someone told me this exact opinion because I happen to be unemployed at the moment (this after working consistently in the corporate world for 8 years).

Don't listen to anyone who tries to crush your dreams. My years of work have earned me live & studio session work and the opportunity to play in many bands and even with some musicians who've gone on to bigger & better things. Anyone will tell you if they can do it so can you. You just have to have the determination to prove everyone wrong.

Isaac91

Hey dude,
Screw what everyone says, don't let it get to you. Whatever you want to do, if you try hard and go for it with all you've got...you'll get there. Don't ever let anyone tell you different, what do they know? Its your dream, it can become a reality, strive to be the best with your ability.

Kaos

dude dreams are what make life bareable. whitout them your hollow and empty. reality, most of us will never get to be travis barker(Im not a big fan buts recognizable for my example), but theres always the dream. you have to make things happon. there is not one major signed act that set on their duff and smoked pot all day and got signed. you have to work your ass off and get as good as you possible can then you have to prove your as good as your are all while staying humble enough to know who's butt your going to have to kiss to get you where you want to be. You must eat crow occasionaly to eat cavior some day. The skys the limit if your gonna dream, dream big. do whatever you have to to accomplish that dream. witht he right attitude and perserverance you can bee anything you want to be.

Gaddabout

Start with simple goals. Try and land two regular gigs that allow you to pay your bills. Play them like each gig is your last. Make as many friends as possible and see where that takes you.

I will admit that at some point or another, if you're living off the graces of someone else, you will have to pursue that day job while pursuing your dream in the free time.

phoenix7289

Ahh yes....
Well I know your pain man! I have a few vids on youtube of drumming. One of em is the best I would say... and god, people on youtube specifically can be REAL assholes! They say stuff like, "Go sell your crappy drumset, then take that money and buy a shotgun and shoot yourself." -_-

Or.... You SUCK at the drums. You should never play the drums. Go play in traffic! :D

Yah... I know your pain for real. I've learned to deal with these assholes, and just ignore them. When you have jerks say crap, either ignore them, smile, and walk away, or just shoot back at them.... then why can some people do it? If "such and such" could do it, then so can I!

My advice, just don't let these asses get to you. Best anyone can tell you. =/

Deanoatc

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I am doing the right thing so far.
I just have to learn how to keep moving and mute all the assholes. Networking is my focus right now. I have met a lot of people. Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. Dean.

Metropolis1021

actually, i get the exact opposite from people. I'm only 16 and everyone always says stuff like "don't forget me when your famous", or, "i cant beleive your band doesn't have a deal yet". so i cant really say i know where your coming from. but forget what they say. anyone can become a famous musician. it just takes practice, and lots of it. :D

phoenix7289

Metropolis1021":34ddnt2d said:
actually, i get the exact opposite from people. I'm only 16 and everyone always says stuff like "don't forget me when your famous", or, "i cant beleive your band doesn't have a deal yet". so i cant really say i know where your coming from. but forget what they say. anyone can become a famous musician. it just takes practice, and lots of it. :D
I know what you mean... people who see me play in person usually think I am better... but then when people see my vids. It sucks. >.<

seandude

just be like well maybe i have a dif dream than u and if u dont like it suck my dick

and u can do what u want fuck the rest

phoenix7289

seandude":2c63tqst said:
just be like well maybe i have a dif dream than u and if u dont like it suck my dick

LOVELY way to put it. ABSOLUTELY LOVELY!!! :D

Deanoatc

seandude":1du3brvg said:

I love it!!! I just fucking love it!!! I am gonna use that.

chachaman02

Yo, forget all these freakin people that are like, "Its unrealistic." Becoming a pro drummer is as realistic as becoming someone who is a pro at having sex, and that happens all the time.
If youb stick to it and work really hard, you can make it man. I wanna be a pro drummer too. We'll be laughing at all the people that put us down together. But also, make sure you have a skill that you can fall back on, just incase in 20 years you don't like drums anymore or something.

Rock on!