is traditional grip just not "cool looking" enough

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

New member
Even though i love jazz and other styles i'm currently letting frustrations out in a harder rock, borderline metal band,Last Days,(shameless plug) and at practice the other night,during one of our songs that goes into a funky part, i switched from match to traditional grip..afterward, my singer asked me if i always play it like that..the look on his face was kinda like "please dont do that on stage" ...i also seen this the other night my 16 yr old son had his friend over and were jammin hard rock stuff and his friend actually told him he shouldn't play like that(traditional)..that it looks funny. I've also seen these types of comments in a million video comments on youtube. Does traditional grip hurt the "dramatic image" of hard rocker? do i look "funny" now? does Stewart Copeland "not look right". Does this grip just project "old fart" to the non drummer or even the young rock drummers?
 

dave

New member
I play traditonal, and I kinda feel "funny" playing matched. I think if anything, you look "cooler" if you can rock with traditional. Just my thought though.
 

pegleg

New member
i've always thought it looked cool. i guess that's the differences between real drummers and jackasses who pretend to be and non-drummers. real drummers can appreciate the difficulty of playing traditional.
i guess they don't think Buddy looked cool, either
 

Mr.Smash

New member
SHOGUNWARRIOR32":2e6laixy said:
Even though i love jazz and other styles i'm currently letting frustrations out in a harder rock, borderline metal band,Last Days,(shameless plug) and at practice the other night,during one of our songs that goes into a funky part, i switched from match to traditional grip..afterward, my singer asked me if i always play it like that..the look on his face was kinda like "please dont do that on stage" ...i also seen this the other night my 16 yr old son had his friend over and were jammin hard rock stuff and his friend actually told him he shouldn't play like that(traditional)..that it looks funny. I've also seen these types of comments in a million video comments on youtube. Does traditional grip hurt the "dramatic image" of hard rocker? do i look "funny" now? does Stewart Copeland "not look right". Does this grip just project "old fart" to the non drummer or even the young rock drummers?
Why would it matter if it looked cool? I should start playing traditional more just to spite people who think it looks funny.
 

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

New member
pegleg":1x0dfwh2 said:
i've always thought it looked cool. i guess that's the differences between real drummers and jackasses who pretend to be and non-drummers. real drummers can appreciate the difficulty of playing traditional.
i guess they don't think Buddy looked cool, either
Dont get me wrong ..i think It's utterly ridiculous.. it's just that i found it interesting how something like traditional stick grip can have such a perception on A lot of people whether negative or positive. I've never seen this mentioned and thought it'd be interesting to see what viewpoints would come. it's just sad cuz i see it all the time when my son brings friends over who are mostly beginning musicians when i'm jammin.
 

SmellsLikeIan

New member
I think it looks cool as hell, I just wish I could do it better. I can't get quite as much power for backbeat stuff. I've seen cats who can though, and it impresses the hell out of me.
 

BillRayDrums

New member
Tell that person will it look better with you playing traditional grip in jeans or matched grip in a dress and high heels.

Who cares how it looks? Tell that foo' to play a pink guitar shaped like a penis.

Sorry I'm a bit pissed right now. All my friends are losing their houses in SoCal. We are on fire.
 

dbkman

New member
i think traditional grip is awsome. i can play a little but im not tight with it yet. but it is very weird how people can change their minds on a drummer because of the way he holds a stick. and shogun, man you're awsome. i dont care how you hold the stick, because the sound that follows is awsome. you rock man
 

Rob the Drummer

New member
I wouldn't consider traditional harder than playing matched. It's harder to learn the right way of doing it, but it's all in what you are playing and how you want to play it. I play matched at drumset, but I can't play matched on a marching snare, just doesn't feel right. You know what's weird? I air drum traditional! :wink:
 

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

New member
BillRayDrums":4bp8ffix said:
Tell that person will it look better with you playing traditional grip in jeans or matched grip in a dress and high heels.

Who cares how it looks? Tell that foo' to play a pink guitar shaped like a penis.

Sorry I'm a bit pissed right now. All my friends are losing their houses in SoCal. We are on fire.
Ha ha ...billy, you crack me up man! when i saw you stick your drumstick in your nose in your vid, i about hit the floor! bummer about the houses man...my brothers live in PB ..i hope it's not near there. thanks dbk for the compliment man! much appreciated! you rock too man!
 

cableman26

New member
I see what your saying. Non-musicians don't know the techniques, and the grips, and all that. They just see Travis Barker and Tommy Lee and assume that is how the drums are played. Not really their fault, matched is probaly all they see everywhere else.
 

BillRayDrums

New member
SHOGUNWARRIOR32":v4orju8t said:
BillRayDrums":v4orju8t said:
Tell that person will it look better with you playing traditional grip in jeans or matched grip in a dress and high heels.

Who cares how it looks? Tell that foo' to play a pink guitar shaped like a penis.

Sorry I'm a bit pissed right now. All my friends are losing their houses in SoCal. We are on fire.
Ha ha ...billy, you crack me up man! when i saw you stick your drumstick in your nose in your vid, i about hit the floor! bummer about the houses man...my brothers live in PB ..i hope it's not near there. thanks dbk for the compliment man! much appreciated! you rock too man!
PB is OK. I am in Oceanside, which is OK.

My friends are in RB (Rancho Bernardo, the "18 2" in Blink 182) and two of them have lost their homes.

I have very little patience for much today, if any at all.
 

kylevater

New member
SHOGUNWARRIOR32":33ar13ko said:
Even though i love jazz and other styles i'm currently letting frustrations out in a harder rock, borderline metal band,Last Days,(shameless plug) and at practice the other night,during one of our songs that goes into a funky part, i switched from match to traditional grip..afterward, my singer asked me if i always play it like that..the look on his face was kinda like "please dont do that on stage" ...i also seen this the other night my 16 yr old son had his friend over and were jammin hard rock stuff and his friend actually told him he shouldn't play like that(traditional)..that it looks funny. I've also seen these types of comments in a million video comments on youtube. Does traditional grip hurt the "dramatic image" of hard rocker? do i look "funny" now? does Stewart Copeland "not look right". Does this grip just project "old fart" to the non drummer or even the young rock drummers?
honestly, what ever makes you comfortable
who cares if it not cool enough looking or whatever, if thats how you like to play, then play that way
 

ctyjones

New member
If they don't think you can play rock with trad grip, look up some clips of Niel Peart's "A Work In Progress" DVD. He had just finished working with Freddy Gruber.
 

Hack_and_Slash

New member
idk, all of my favorite drummers play metal so I've never watched someone play traditional so I've never had the urge to play like that. When I first learned the snare, my old teacher said forget about traditional. My new teacher does play with traditional though.
 

mortem

New member
I can certainly understand what you're saying.. some several years back I used to think that traditional grip was ridiculous, but OH how wrong I was!!
 
Top