Is this a good double bass practice or should I do...

silencetheshadows

something else?

This is what I currently do. I am a extreme metal drummer and want my feet to be faster and stronger on the pedals. My pedals are pieces of shit PDP's but they do the job, as I have tweaked them a bit to make them better than just crap. Anyways. I have a metronome going, and I play 16th notes on the bass drum for about 20 minutes. I recently bumped it up to 20 minutes because before I was doing 10 minutes and felt that it was too easy. As I grow higher in BPM I might decrease the time. Right now I am at a slow tempo, 138 BPM, but I am trying to work my way up past 200 BPM.I bump it up every week or so. Do you thing this practice I am doing is a good way to build speed and endurance?

Joshua6393

I would maybe suggest playing simple 1 foot beats with your weaker foot (if left handed, use right foot if right use left foot) it helps me :)

silencetheshadows

Honestly, nothing really. I just try to keep a simple beat with my hats on ride or hihats and snare, and I do tom fills and stuff too. I heard that following your feet with your hands on the snare would be good, but I have not tried that. Do you suggest anything in particular?

silencetheshadows

Tips have helped SGGarret. I might try to apply them to next practice.
What do you think about just following your hands with feet? Bad or good practice?

SGarrett

It's both good and bad. If that's all you do you won't be able to play cleanly unless you are following your hands with your feet. It's good for getting a feel for a pattern but that's about all I do with it. I also spend very little time doing straight 16ths unless I'm working on a song.

SGarrett

Thank you, sir. :D

I'll have to post some video of one of the band's songs with double kick...when I get one. There's been a bunch of video captured, I just don't have any of it yet. :D

wmpdrummer13

Your gonna always want to play something with your hands and like garrett stated sometimes it is good to follow but the purpose and goal is 4-way independence so try to play a different pattern with all 4 limbs. Mix it up follow the same pattern with your left hand and right foot and vice versa, you get the idea, pretty much anything that will help you be able to play what you want to play with either hand or foot. I prefer videos over books so look up some different techniques on youtube there are a million. Ray Luzier shows some good practice drills..