Is It Truly Possible To Play Perfect

DrummingJorge

Maybe I'm just being hard on myself but any drummers out there think it's truly possible to play a perfect show? Last few shows I've played I've noticed the smallest of mistakes during my playing. No train wrecks but very slight mistakes that drive me crazy. We recorded a live show and although the mistakes were very minimal, I did notice a few. Last night while recording a few tracks for our EP, I noticed a missed hit on the ride cymbal while playing a shuffle type swing beat. During the playback the engineer and guys told me it's barely noticeable and if you listen to Beatles albums you'll notice mistakes here and there. I really wanted to go back and re-record the track but everyone insisted the track is fine. I listen to live albums quite a bit and never listen to mistakes. Is it to be expected since I'm human or is it suckiness on my part? Any feedback from my fellow drummers out there.

nothing is out there is perfect, when you play at a gig you make mistakes but they are minor and they arent noticable by the crowd but you know you made a mistake. the quote "Pratice Makes Perfect" should be changed to "Practice Makes Better"

Ludwig Drums
Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals
Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
DW Pedals
PDP Hardware
Latin Percussion
Rythm Tech

break the prism

i think perfect playing, as far as drumming goes, is having precision and staying on beat 100% of the time. when you strip it all down, rhythm is what matters.

anavrinIV

DrummingJorge":1ffxx8eq said:
Maybe I'm just being hard on myself but any drummers out there think it's truly possible to play a perfect show? Last few shows I've played I've noticed the smallest of mistakes during my playing. No train wrecks but very slight mistakes that drive me crazy. We recorded a live show and although the mistakes were very minimal, I did notice a few. Last night while recording a few tracks for our EP, I noticed a missed hit on the ride cymbal while playing a shuffle type swing beat. During the playback the engineer and guys told me it's barely noticeable and if you listen to Beatles albums you'll notice mistakes here and there. I really wanted to go back and re-record the track but everyone insisted the track is fine. I listen to live albums quite a bit and never listen to mistakes. Is it to be expected since I'm human or is it suckiness on my part? Any feedback from my fellow drummers out there.
john lennon laughs in the middle of maxwells silver hammer...i noticed that when i was learning to play it.

i notice a lot of mistakes in my playing when doing it live. when theres a recording i notice them again and again and again. its life, it happens.

UNIONVILLE

you will always be your own worst critic. as long as the song doesnt fall apart i think youre fine. and if someone thinks you played a bad show because you missed one ride cymbal hit, then something is wrong with them, not you.

writheindecay

not to sound arrogant, but noone in the world has to know when you fuck up. if theyre in the crowd, chances are theyre normal people and hear musir, they dont listen, so they have no clue when you fuck up.

Mxpxdude189

Don't worry about it man. Last week i felt like a played one of my worst shows in a long time. I didn't stay after i packed all my stuff up (15-20 mins later, hehe) but the singer in my band said a lot of people came up to him and said how good we were. I am pretty hard on myself, because i like stuff to be perfect. I don't think i have ever played a "perfect show" where i don't miss maybe 1 ride hit or something out of 8-12 songs in a row. No one notices, i just smile and laugh it off to myself at gigs. unless you get off tempo, or just totally play the wrong part, no one will see your mistakes.

seneca

I think we are our own toughest judges. Especially when playing live! We all make mistakes, and that's natural! But for the most part...if you don't say anything no one would even notice! Not unless there's another drummer in the audience thats watching your every beat!

There's a trick, when you get off stage don't reflect on your mistakes! In fact, don't even mention them!!!

I'd even say that I know guys (the bassest for one of my funk/pop-rock projects) won't even listen/watch live recordings! It's like bad luck to him, he doesn't want to reflect on his mistakes! And the best part? He's a trained pianist, guitarist, and bassest who can match Vic Wooten's style of playing!

So, don't be so hard on yourself! ;)

Ty

dark_realm

has anyone heard a drum machine? it is meant to be perfect, but it sounds weird.. because we need those imperfections to make drumming sound good.. so really, if you want to play perfect, you need to be imperfect..

steveund

anavrinIV":29op5mce said:
john lennon laughs in the middle of maxwells silver hammer...i noticed that when i was learning to play it.

i notice a lot of mistakes in my playing when doing it live. when theres a recording i notice them again and again and again. its life, it happens.
Dude! John Lennon didn’t sing the verses to that song, Paul did. That is Paul cracking up on the 2nd verse.

Jesse

I personally like it when the little mistakes come out. It makes every show unique and allways brings character into your playing. But then again, alot of my most "brilliant" moments come from screw ups! Just keep the beat and enjoy the music. : )

LeJayk

We're only human after all. Everyone makes mistakes. We may not think it now, but drumming is quite a skill to master. Especially playing live, when you have other things to think about. A few small mistakes doesn't undermine a show or a drummers skill level.

But I know where your coming from. I've listened to a few live recordings of myself playing and cringe at every slightly missed 16th note, or a crash that doesn't have quite the power I desired, or God forbid a missed/late bass note.

Don't be so hard on yourself :)

(I hope that made sense)

drummer4thefreaks

im not sure its possible to play perfectly tbh. everytime someone plays a show, they are likely to play the track slightly different everytime, so what would perfect be?

as everyone has already said, everyone makes mistake, hell even people like thomas lang fuck up during their solos (reference to the bonus material solo on the Creative Control DVD, he goes to up-stroke a splash and misses XD)

whenever i watch my previous shows im sat there going 'What the hell did i do that for?' everyone does it, and anyone who says otherwise, is a liar. The bottom line is, drummers, or rather musicians in general are bloody perfectionists lol... its in our nature :D

SeanGordon

Well being a virgo, lol if the stars alignment matters... I used to be very anal about patterns and mistakes and exactness. I one day, long, long a go with a drum far away... Decided that I would likely never play a song the same way twice.

With that decision, its opened alot of doors, I adlib and change most of what I do in every song I play, the out come is:

1. People come out to the shows and come up to me just to see how I will interpret something or play it next time.

2. It has given me great instinct to cover and re-cover from mistakes.

3. It has made me much more creative in my preception of a song or in the writting proccess.

4. The fact that alot of what I do is freeflow (but with keeping to the structure of the song) it adds ALOT more energy (and people can tell) and mistakes arent really mistakes, they are considered "Another way I have played the song".

In the studio, I can still get in a "Perfectionist mode" but i have time to "Get it right" Live should be all about fun and enjoying What/How you play something, and that is projected onto your audience.

-SG

fuzionman

only a robot can be "perfect". humans are imperfect. even the famous, awesome drum masters out there make their mistakes.

rjbaked

Playing drums is an artform. Was Van Gogh perfect. Maybe but it's all in eyes of the beholder. What is perfect too you may suck to someone else.

All that matters is you give your best shot and have FUN. Music is supposed to be fun. I'm really getting sick of people being so critical.

Were the audience happy??
Did they cheer or did they say "can you believe he screwed up there?"
Did you have fun?
Did your band have fun?
Meet any girls?? (lol just kidding)

Rock and roll is fun, enjoy it. Don't let it bring you down

drumgroovy

fuzionman":1kf8kq01 said:
only a robot can be "perfect". humans are imperfect. even the famous, awesome drum masters out there make their mistakes.
Yeah, they make mistakes. They do like a million takes before getting the 'perfect' one. And that's usually edited by 'robots' (aka Protools).

Tighearnan

man ur just bein hard on urself.
all durmmers make mistakes
its not in a persons nature to be perfect espically a drummers haha