is it about that time?

Potatoe Snack

i've been playing for alittle over 7 years w/ very little lessons other than forums, videos, online etc. I got lessons after about 2 years of playing but felt too much like the teacher was underestimating my ability and then got a couple lessons from a guy last year who was on a crazy tour schedule and he gave me crazy advice on holding my sticks (holding it in a fist holding tight with all four fingers). so my question would be...do you think its worth it after 7 years. I've already done tons of shows, already done a tour, recorded albums, i can hold my own behind a kit but I know there is much much more to learn.

let me know what you think, pros and cons n such from lesson veterans. should I keep at it on my own or should I at last seek guidance?

FiestyRedDrummEr

Potatoe Snack":umv7jlmu said:
i've been playing for alittle over 7 years w/ very little lessons other than forums, videos, online etc. I got lessons after about 2 years of playing but felt too much like the teacher was underestimating my ability and then got a couple lessons from a guy last year who was on a crazy tour schedule and he gave me crazy advice on holding my sticks (holding it in a fist holding tight with all four fingers). so my question would be...do you think its worth it after 7 years. I've already done tons of shows, already done a tour, recorded albums, i can hold my own behind a kit but I know there is much much more to learn.

let me know what you think, pros and cons n such from lesson veterans. should I keep at it on my own or should I at last seek guidance?
I've been playing 14 years and I still get lessons occassionaly. You said you can hold your own. Well maybe its time to start applying everything you knwo and do some serious drumming. Put in more and more practice now. And Its okay to go without lessons for awhile. Try drumming a new style if your bored. Or pick up some hand drums and expirment with that. I always say keep up the lessons but you are pretty much at the point where you can be okay if you go without a lesson for a few months. Find a good instructor that you can do continous learning with, don't get to the point where you are better than your teacher, you wont learn very much. Find a seasoned drummer, who knows their shit, and hit them up for a lesson every once and awhile.

But don't put down lessons all together. Like I said, I've been drumming for 14 years and I still have a lesson occasionally.

Rob Crisp

I started lessons at 13, now 24. I stopped for a bit in the middle and just played for fun, then got back onto lessons, then stopped after grade 4 and I got myself to grade 8.

Recently I got bored, felt I was stagnating and not improving and wanted to learn new styles so I started lessons again at DrumTech in London. I was forced to reasses my technique and all other areas. Love it and still have lessons more or less weekly.

I think it's all about pushing yourself as far as you can, but not to be afraid to ask for advice from someone more experienced when you feel you need it.

Potatoe Snack

thanks for the replies guys!

im defintally not bored, i mean, although i dont get lessons i recently (finally) started taking rudiments seriously and i still try to advance and get better. what other styles of drums are fun? i can do the whole rock/funk/metal thing, maybe i should learn some latin or something...don't know!!! i'll check out local teachers, talk to them, see what they can offer.

screamkevin

I'm 38 and have been playing for 34 years. I still have a lot to learn, and I try to squeeze in a lesson here and there when I can find the time. Don't ever stop learning. Lessons can do nothing but help.

PDP9000

i have been playing for 16 years and i play shows record and a bunch of other things but you can always take a lesson and learn
a new thing to make you sound better

dave lynch

I say if you see someone that has something to offer ( something you want ) and they're willing to give you a lesson then I think you should go for it..if needed you can get a second opinion on a teacher also..You stated that that teacher wanted to teach you a new grip..I didn't like the sound of that grip personaly but you new better than to accept it so that'll tell you that you know better and what to look for...Good Luck !!