Is double bass a necessity

brokenstix

Okay, a lot of people play double bass (two bases or double pedal whichever) but is it really a necessity to play double bass? Cuase I dont like double basses that much. But Ill learn if it would be better to.

LebBoomer

ya dont NEED to play double bass. most do just to give that little extra kick. i use it cuz my music i play calls for it. ide say learn how to play it just so u know u can do it. maybe one day you`ll be happy that you learned how play double bass. i am

MasterShake89

you dont need to. in fact its just a choice by the player. Double bass gives you a lot more versatility with options you have while playing if u use it right. Besides being able to play the metal 16ths and 32nds out the ying yang, u can do a lot of cool accents, rolls, ect. its not a requirement, but gives you more tools to work with. and the more "tools" you have to work with, the more different things you can do while your playing that you can pull from your bag of "tools" personally, i like double bass a lot even tho im not amazing at it, but single pedals are a ton of fun too. basically, if the music calls for it, or you can use it in a musical and creative way, there is a good reason to have one.

scepticILL

I agree with the other dudes. You don't need it. But I'll bet sooner or later, you'll start to want to get into it. It really isn't necessary though.

MasterShake89":1j8tsuho said:
you dont need to. in fact its just a choice by the player. Double bass gives you a lot more versatility with options you have while playing if u use it right. Besides being able to play the metal 16ths and 32nds out the ying yang, u can do a lot of cool accents, rolls, ect. its not a requirement, but gives you more tools to work with. and the more "tools" you have to work with, the more different things you can do while your playing that you can pull from your bag of "tools" personally, i like double bass a lot even tho im not amazing at it, but single pedals are a ton of fun too. basically, if the music calls for it, or you can use it in a musical and creative way, there is a good reason to have one.

ChrisNichols

Double bass isn't a NECESSITY persay, you can just do a lot more with your footwork with it. Plus two bass drums look pretty bloody sweet.

screamkevin

No, it's not a necessity at all. Many famous drummers only use single bass, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

That said, if you're in a metal cover band trying to play Slayer, Lamb Of God or Shadows Fall, you might wanna consider it. :wink:

But if you're playing simple 2+4 rock and roll, and you don't think the music calls for it, then don't do it. It's that simple. Double bass just gives you more options for fills and beats. Just because you have a double pedal on your kit does't mean you have to use it. Look at all the 80's "hair" bands that had the giganterous drumkits but still played 99% of their stuff on hats, kick, and snare. But I've seen cats play double kick licks using a single pedal and their floor tom, too.

TrunJun

Yes and no. You cant feasably do 16th notes at above 170 bpm with one foot (unless your name is george kollias *cough*) with one pedal. The only exception of someone who's been able to pull off using one bassdrum playing x2 bass esq work that i've seen that plays recently is Zach Hill from Hella. You dont need it if your guitar players arent shredding, or if you arent metal. it can make your stuff more versatile if you learn how to use it. a lot of drummers i've seen use a double pedal but the music really doesnt even call for it, but also on that note, when you want to make parts a lot more dramatic, it can help you a lot. For bands like this, see The Apex Theory.

Mikkey

If you're going to be in a Bolt Thrower cover band, then yeah...double bass IS a necessity. But even if you're going to play metal, it isn't really that necessary. Metal bands these days tend to use double bass very indescriminately (i.e. at the wrong time or all the time) so it often sounds awful or forced. It'd be interesting to see someone besides Maiden just have a single bass for once this decade. (Of course, those metal funk crossover bands in the early nineties usually had a single bass.)

But all that style assessment aside, if you're just playing -insert genre here- by yourself and you could better spend the money elsewhere on your kit then don't bother. All of the above statements come from somebody who has two bass drums on his main kit.

Mikkey

Not to take away from the Hella drummer (the stuff that guy writes is ridiculously amazing and ridiculously complicated), but other people can mimmick double on single by playing 16th or faster. Although...this brings up another point I hadn't thought of in the previous post: technically speaking one bass drum could never mimmick the sound of two. Double bass pedals sound different than having two bass drums where the beater is hitting the same place. Take from that the power and hair metal bands in the 80s that didn't do double bass songs per se but still had two kick drums where the drummer struck the two bass drums at exactly the same time. Different sound there too. In the end, save your money on an overpriced pedal...why not go for one of the new cymbal series cymbals they introduced at NAMM this year. Lotta cool stuff will be filtering in around the next two months.

Gaddabout

There's this other pedal called a hi-hat pedal that can be a lot of fun if you can figure out how to do more with it than close it to play a closed hi-hat. You can also use your left foot to play a bracketed bell, for clave.

And there are LOTS of single-pedal players in all genres. Some of them are the heroes mentioned on this board quite a bit.

infiznitch

Gaddabout":v9ulwc2w said:
There's this other pedal called a hi-hat pedal that can be a lot of fun if you can figure out how to do more with it than close it to play a closed hi-hat. You can also use your left foot to play a bracketed bell, for clave.

And there are LOTS of single-pedal players in all genres. Some of them are the heroes mentioned on this board quite a bit.
I'm fine with that statement, as long as you're not trying to slight double kick. I agree wholly that you should learn the basics of drumming WITHOUT a double pedal. Learn to play well with hi-hat and kick first THEN learn to use double bass drumming. The hi-hat IS the most colorful instrument on the kit. You can do many more things with it than you can ever do with just the double kick. It's really for me a bit more challenging to switch between hihat and double kick in the middle of beats! like Howepirate said, two sticks two beaters... and your sticks DO move so... get good at both and switching between the two is basically the morale of the story!

double kick is also great for layering under your solos. tons of famous jazz drummers have done it, so double bass is NOT just for metal mind you

Gaddabout

infiznitch":3s0nx9ku said:
I'm fine with that statement, as long as you're not trying to slight double kick. I agree wholly that you should learn the basics of drumming WITHOUT a double pedal. Learn to play well with hi-hat and kick first THEN learn to use double bass drumming. The hi-hat IS the most colorful instrument on the kit. You can do many more things with it than you can ever do with just the double kick. It's really for me a bit more challenging to switch between hihat and double kick in the middle of beats! like Howepirate said, two sticks two beaters... and your sticks DO move so... get good at both and switching between the two is basically the morale of the story!

double kick is also great for layering under your solos. tons of famous jazz drummers have done it, so double bass is NOT just for metal mind you
I have no problem with double bass or metal, for that matter. I'm sitting here with a double pedal and a BD practice pad as we speak. I use it to strengthen and coordinate my left foot so I can play the hi-hat pedal better, but that's beside the point.

I think there is just one answer to this question: Do whatever you like and feel comfortable with. I admit I got a little irritated when I saw some posters sort of hedging their opinions because they couldn't imagine someone who WOULDN'T like playing double pedal or two bass drums. That's an unhealthy focus on a small part of drumming if you ask me, but hey, I'm no one's judge and jury here. I can only say in 30 years of drumming I've played a lot of gigs, including a few metal gigs, and I've never been so inspired to play a double pedal or double bass on stage. So, yeah, a few of us weirdos do exist. ;)

if you don't have double bass, you ARE'NT going to die!...lol so no its not a necessity...especially if your a freak like Nicko Mcbrain who can pull of the double bass sound with one foot.
but, i reckon it is always handy to have it there. it can enable you to have some more diversity into the kit.

Jaydrummer1987

I can only agree with what the other guys have said, for me I play alot of grunge usic so I don't really need to learn double bass but I would like to so i can say "yeah I can play double bass"

wombat_drums

pretty much what everyone else said not a nessecity. alot of fun and when the music calls for it there great. i use a double pedal and its great for what i play. think about what and how u want to play. even if your not into it it's always a handy tool to use every now and then. as they say. its always good to try new things.

Eiren

I would say it's a necessity to be able to use both your feet, as equally well as you can use both your hands.

What you use your feet on... well that's up to you.