Iron Cobra or DW?

ghost_note

to those of you that have played both pedals....is it true that Iron Cobra pedals are BETTER than DW....but the reason you pay more for the DW is just BECAUSE IT IS DW! so your more paying for a name and who uses it more than the actual quality?!? well tell me your oppnions....

Pork Sword

I wouldn't say one is better than another...I have double pedals from both companies...the double chain cobra & the DW5000. They are both awesome pedals, well worth the money for either. I honestly prefer the DW just a tad bit more. I find it's a smoother pedal, but that's just an opinion. Construction wise, they are about on par with each other...I've had to replace more parts on my Cobra, but I use the Cobra primarily for more aggressive playing. Both are built like tanks, and will be with you for a lifetime. If money is the difference I would recommend the Cobra being they are too similar to warrant the $50-60 dollar price difference. If money is not an issue, I would give the new trick pedals a serious look...they are the nicest pedals I have ever played hands down. In my opinion they are far superior to the Axis pedals (which are hot too...I have a single axis long board pedal also). The trick pedals are like super space age...they are probably a little ahead of their time for alot of drummers, but they are amazing...not sure if the $600 dollar price tag is warranted though.

Good luck either way.

Ryan

Tama's pedals have more ribbing on the foot board therefore will last longer.Better Construction.

Mainiacdrummer

i personally think the dw 9000's are better.. i played the iron cobras at a guitar center and i liked them but i liked the dw's more

Alcyon

They're almost identical considering that the Iron Cobras are made from the Camco plan and design schematics and that DW 5000s are machined on the actual molds used for the Camco pedals.

Camco, the company that manufactured the pedal that was considered one of the best pedals ever, was jointly bought by DW and Tama when they went defunct - the pedals are almost exactly the same except for the branding and etc.

TheyCallMeNAPA

ive played the iron cobra double and i own a DW9000 double and i prefer the DW over the tama. i think its smoother. but it may just be what i'm used to playin.

Alcyon

The 9000 series is better quality than the IC - the 5000 series and the Iron Cobra are the same pedal.

manicdrums

I have bought, and used, both the Iron Cobra and the DW pedals. DW wins hands-down for me... I believe the Footplate of the iron Cobra actually slows it down, with all that extra mass. I love t titanium footplates of the new DW's. Wheeeee!

My old favourite, though, is a hybrid pedal which I made from the footplate of a Premier pedal, with the chain, cog and post from an old Camco chaindrive pedal. Strangly enough, though, the BEATER is a DW! Hmmmm... veeery interesssting!

veerubio

if UR gonna spend money on a dw, go for the 9000. I work @ guitar center and spend alot of time trying out all the gear. the IC is good if your on a budget, but the dw is way better.

downshifter99

veerubio":3vebwwif said:
if UR gonna spend money on a dw, go for the 9000. I work @ guitar center and spend alot of time trying out all the gear. the IC is good if your on a budget, but the dw is way better.
I have to say no to it all....Pearl 2002c Power Shifter Eliminator is BAD-ASS.
Brian

doyle

I have played both, but i use the iron cobra!!!! i love the feel adn 'fight' u get from the iron cobra... oooh the beauty!!!

warlocke

But IMHO there's an even better pedal out there... I played an AXIS double pedal at Guitar Center and absolutely fell in love. As much as I love my Tama (I compared both side by side and took plenty of time to adjust both the DW and and the Iron Cobra before laying down the dough, BTW. Iron Cobra won between those two hands down), if there had been an AXIS there the day I bought my pedal they'd have both been out of the running.

Just my $0.02 worth...

screamkevin

I play the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double. I used to play a DW5000, but I snapped 3 footboards and got tired of dealing with it. The IC is built like a tank, and I've had absolutely no problems with it.

But I will add that the DW is lighter and a bit quicker. It is a great pedal, as are the Pearl PowerShifters, Yamaha's Flying Dragons, and the new Trick pedals. Check them out, you'll never talk about Axis again.

Waylon

Neither
I use and love the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive pedals. I have single and double versions and they stay with your foot like it's an extension of your leg. Silly names though huh?
I tried everything first and yes the DW's are overpriced because of the name. They are very high quality though. I think as long as the pedal has the ability to separate footboard angle from beater angle and tension and is heavy duty and smooth then you can go.
Later
Way
www.scotaylor.com

drummer-croatia

:idea:

my friend has the iron cobra although i'm not sure which one but i can sure tell you it sucks...it's to heavy to press and it bounces a lot,and you get very tired in a very short period of time...he gave a lot of money for it and to be honest he should have bought the dw pedal...cant tell you exactly why but i prefer the dw one

Waylon

drummer-croatia":1c7oitx3 said:
:idea:

my friend has the iron cobra although i'm not sure which one but i can sure tell you it sucks...it's to heavy to press and it bounces a lot,and you get very tired in a very short period of time...he gave a lot of money for it and to be honest he should have bought the dw pedal...cant tell you exactly why but i prefer the dw one
These pedals are very adjustable. If it's too tight loosen the springs!!! You should be able to make the Iron Cobra feel just how you want it.......loose and sloppy or so tight and way back....or beater right on the head and medium tension. That is the way cool thing about all the high end pedals is that they are so adjustable. Tweak it! Too much beater response then loosen your head a bit, use a different beater. I don't play the Cobras but I have played them and they are infinitely adjustable.
Play ON!
Drumn4life
www.scotaylor.com