Iron Cobra Direct Drive

Damagedrummer

Heey everyone! Hope you all had a great newyears eve, I did, so I would also like to give everyone my best wishes for the coming year!!

Now for my question: I play Tama Iron cobra's and they work fine, but I would actually like to have a direct drive, like the one's axis has. I've owned axis pedals, so that's not what i'm looking for, because I didn't liked the way the pedal was constructed, but I did like the directdrive on it instead of the chain on the cobra. It could be me, but it would seem logical that direct drive is way less "sloppier" than a chain.

So what I would like to do is convert my cobra's to direct drive. Has anyone ever tried such a thing, with cobra's or another chainpedal, and what I'm hoping for is if you can tell me if it's a good idea to go fiddle with my pedals or if I'm just gonna ruin my pedals that way.

Sort of like the Eliminator-cam-change, but a little different.

Thanks again in advance!!

anavrinIV

ive actually been thinking about trying this with my cobras...ive looked at it and it would take some machining and ingenuity but i think it can be done. there have been some topics on the tama forum about them making a direct drive pedal, but i think its more customer wishes than company ideas.

Damagedrummer

anavrinIV":27tafr5f said:
ive actually been thinking about trying this with my cobras...ive looked at it and it would take some machining and ingenuity but i think it can be done. there have been some topics on the tama forum about them making a direct drive pedal, but i think its more customer wishes than company ideas.
Ahh thanks, I was afraid Tama wouldn't want to make such a pedal, or maybe they haven't thought it trough yet, because it seems to me there are alot of advantages in a direct drive. Too bad I don't engineer for Tama :lol:

Damagedrummer

Howepirate":3rfzsuwg said:
What's wrong with the Axis?
I've already posted several other threads on what's wrong with Axis in my opinion. A few days ago I saw a youtube-movie with a review of the pedals by some guy, and he noticed exactly the same stuff I irritated myself on, like that you need 10 different alankeys to change the settings of the entire pedal. But the thing that bugged me the most was, that you have iron bolts in aluminium. So for example the connectionrod is round, and is held into place with three bolts directly on that round shaft. In my opinion that doesn't work. And I just couldn't seem to turn those bolts tight enough, because then I would destroy the aluminium wich holds the bolt.

The dude in the video said something like: Very well made, badly designed, wich I thought was very true. Most people will claim otherwise, and I really regret that my experience with axis was a bad one, but for the price they sell, I want a pedal that's perfect!!

Howepirate

Damagedrummer":1mtpyyjq said:
Howepirate":1mtpyyjq said:
I've already posted several other threads on what's wrong with Axis in my opinion. A few days ago I saw a youtube-movie with a review of the pedals by some guy, and he noticed exactly the same stuff I irritated myself on, like that you need 10 different alankeys to change the settings of the entire pedal. But the thing that bugged me the most was, that you have iron bolts in aluminium. So for example the connectionrod is round, and is held into place with three bolts directly on that round shaft. In my opinion that doesn't work. And I just couldn't seem to turn those bolts tight enough, because then I would destroy the aluminium wich holds the bolt.

The dude in the video said something like: Very well made, badly designed, wich I thought was very true. Most people will claim otherwise, and I really regret that my experience with axis was a bad one, but for the price they sell, I want a pedal that's perfect!!
Really? Well with the way I have my Axis set-up, the only thing I ever have to tinker with is the trigger for the main pedal because you put the pedals in a different position everytime you go to play.

Even then, not a large problem.

SheaD

i know this will sound completely noob, but what exactly is direct drive? i have a general idea, but i've heard that term around before and have no clear idea what it is.

Damagedrummer

SheaD":3dpujeua said:
i know this will sound completely noob, but what exactly is direct drive? i have a general idea, but i've heard that term around before and have no clear idea what it is.
Haha, how noob you are! No just kidding, pedals come in different variaties, and the drivesystem is one of the things that can be different. Different systems have different feels. In this case we're talking about the drivesystem, wich is the part what connects the footboard to the drivecam of the pedal, this can be a chain, a leather strap or a strap made of kevlar, but it can also be just an iron or aluminium rod, wich has the most direct feel, because it's the most direct way to connect the footboard to the cam. Because in a strap you always have some stretch, with a chain also, but way less.

Hope this make's any sense to ya, haha. If you compare pictures of iron cobra pedals with axis pedals for example, you will see a chain on the cobra's and a steel pin on the axis. That's the difference we're talking here :p

ok i was expirementing with my tama iron cobra double bass pedal and i took the bearings off the pedal axle and replaced them with high speed skateboard bearings that i took off my skateboard and wow what a difference and they are soo much fasterand alooooot smoother and i tried this with a ordinary stock bass drum pedal and felt a difference so if u want a smoother and better performing try this it works i would reccomend getting high speed bearings no wal-mart bearings lol

--shaun :D

Damagedrummer

shaun_theDRUMMER":28yttevw said:
ok i was expirementing with my tama iron cobra double bass pedal and i took the bearings off the pedal axle and replaced them with high speed skateboard bearings that i took off my skateboard and wow what a difference and they are soo much fasterand alooooot smoother and i tried this with a ordinary stock bass drum pedal and felt a difference so if u want a smoother and better performing try this it works i would reccomend getting high speed bearings no wal-mart bearings lol

--shaun :D
wow that's pretty cool, could you please be more specific on wich actual part you've replaced, or maybe post a picture?
Do you mean like the kinetic-clutches on each end of the connection-rod?

And what type of skateboard bearings would you suggest?

Thanks for the innovative idea!!

xdoseonex

Damagedrummer":3crvgneh said:
Howepirate":3crvgneh said:

you accually need 2 size allen keys. 1 for the connecting rod, and 1 for the pedals. both of which are included with the pedals