Inside or Outside

keith bushey

For years I've mic'd my bass drums with the mic outside, I thought they sounded good. At our last practice I put the D-112's inside, and tweeked the mixer a little...what a difference! The low-end and thump I gained was like adding another 300 watts to the subs! Does running a mic inside shorten the life of the mic? I'm hoping not.

dbkman

The further in you put it, the more attack and "click" your gonna get, when you back it out a little more your gonna get more low end.

stump

Placing your bass mic inside should not shorten the life of the mic itself. They are designed for a direct absorbsen of the sound where as tom and snare mics receive more ambient sound. Peace on ya!

SGarrett

Most of today's kick mic's are designed to handle the SPL's of inside mic'ing. I've got my D6 pretty far inside my kick pointed straight at the impact zone.

keith bushey

I can't believe I waited this long to try internal bass mic'ing, its awsome!! Its great to have a bass drum that has that "punch in the chest" sound!

SGarrett

keith bushey":2jpkflo7 said:
I can't believe I waited this long to try internal bass mic'ing, its awsome!! Its great to have a bass drum that has that "punch in the chest" sound!
Add a little compression to it and hear what happens. :twisted: