Indoor drumline?

moneymike47

How do you feel about an indoor drumline? I'm in one and i can't decide if it's as good as regular outdoor marching band percussion.

moneymike47

just in case you didn't know, indoor drumline is where just a drumline and a pit perform a fast- pased show in which they tell a story. it's kinda like and inside marching band but with just drums

Rockaflodge

I did indoor drum corp for a year, To tell the truth I did not like. I loved marching band but indoor was just not as cool to me.

Gaddabout

:::returning to my teenage mindframe:::

No color guard ... who are you going to make out with on long bus rides? This doesn't sound like a good experience at all.

This is also the same reason I never aspired to join the Cavs (besides the fact at the time they used triplet skeletons for all their open stroke rolls ... lame).

slingerland66

Gaddabout":rro1f6jz said:
:::returning to my teenage mindframe:::

No color guard ... who are you going to make out with on long bus rides? This doesn't sound like a good experience at all.

This is also the same reason I never aspired to join the Cavs (besides the fact at the time they used triplet skeletons for all their open stroke rolls ... lame).
i hear ya dude about the long bus rides and color guard girls haha. no fun for indoor corps! but please fill me in on triplet skeletons?

Gaddabout

slingerland66":3majetuv said:
but please fill me in on triplet skeletons?
The skeleton pattern you play for a roll. If you play a bar of triplets, and then play a bar of double-strokes over those triplets, you're using triplets for a skeleton pattern. It's just easier to get your snare line tight by playing triplet skeletons rather than sixteenth-note skeletons because triplets are nice and wide open. I was a BD guy (or at least all my instructors were BD guys), so 16th-note skeletons were just a start ... Tom Float could be a real bastard and write stuff with sextuplet skeletons for both snare and tenor lines.

slingerland66

Gaddabout":1q5dvemw said:
slingerland66":1q5dvemw said:
but please fill me in on triplet skeletons?
The skeleton pattern you play for a roll. If you play a bar of triplets, and then play a bar of double-strokes over those triplets, you're using triplets for a skeleton pattern. It's just easier to get your snare line tight by playing triplet skeletons rather than sixteenth-note skeletons because triplets are nice and wide open. I was a BD guy (or at least all my instructors were BD guys), so 16th-note skeletons were just a start ... Tom Float could be a real bastard and write stuff with sextuplet skeletons for both snare and tenor lines.
ooo truth word dig it. yea my line had the same concept but different name... "triplet weasel" was ours hahaha

303_Cliff

I always liked the outdoor better - but I marched tenors in the Blue Knights Indoor ensemble for 4 years, we even won a world championship or two. It's totally worth it, keeps your chops up and finals week with the WGI is insane. Do it while you can, I'm too old now and I miss it.

C

freddieheath

i really enjoy indoor percussion, because theres so much more that goes into it then people really think about. it is about drummin' and bein' clean but a great deal of it also deal with performance and portraying your show concept to the audience.

i do see how some highschool people wouldn't like it as much because its hard to take that performance concept to highschool kids and them still feel like its as beefy as outdoor.

but i march an independent open line (palmetto percussion, SC) and we are very drumcorp-esk. rehearsals are intense, we ram a lot of notes, and we're just as beefy and solid as DCI.

so you have to look at both aspects of WGI, because if you get a bad taste for it at the beginning i think u've probly missed somethin'. but then again it just may not be your fancy.

bradlove

I marched an indoor line a couple times, won our state championship (we were a first year independent open line, so we never did any of the WGI shows). I had a blast...I started a new indoor line this year at the high school I teach at too. I've come to found out how much of a headache the logistics of getting a school administration behind you can be! Regardless, I think indoor lines are a GREAT opportunity for drumlines to get; it can really mix things up for them with the faster pace and more beats.

And...there may not be a full guard, but there's still the chance you'll get "acquainted" with a dancer or a female line member, ya know ;-)

DrumminBari

I have marched in highschool indoor Drumline and marching band as well DCI Drum Corps and WGI drumline. When it boiled down to it I just plain liked indoor better. It was more about percussion (obviously). It also opened up the pit ensemble, they take a much more prominent role being the only pitched instruments. And with the use of floor mats and props it just opened up so many doors.

And no, props dont work in a DCI setting, trust me, I have had to try to move them on a wet field, it most certainly does not work.

ctDRUMMER08

I think indoor drumlines are great. They're not as long or as exact as marching band but they can have twice the energy if you have the right music. We acually had an indoor line to prepare us for high school marching band in 7th and 8th grade. and we acually won some stuff. And that's what got me ready for marching band. Right now I"m a junior and I was able to march tenor captain for one of the best drumlines in the state (Byrnes..we went undefeated) Right now I'm helping with another middle school line and they're show isn't as interesting as the marching band but they don't have the tallent yet. I think indoor lines are great for learning and trying new things and seeing what the drumline is capible of doing.

Mistajohn

Back in college, we did a few competitions indoors...just the line.

We marched on formation on stage and played the material.
We had the same judging criteria for normal marching band competitions too.

It was fun, although very different from playing outside.

But when you like the cats you're playing with, and have confidence, it's like doing anything else musical - just have fun and enjoy yourself.

hotrod

i marched with bdb for three years. and this is my first season with the sacramento freelancers. so far i like the indoor scene better. it just seems more laid back. But you still get business done in an efficient way.

I think a lot of enjoying indoor, drum corp or marching band has mostly to do with the staff and front of you and the people around you. Your not gunna have a good time if u dont like the people or the staff.

And ofcourse the best part is its just the line and the pit. So its nothing but some sweet beats. especially when Roger Carter writes them.

iplaydrums1

my highschool marching band played a few shows indoors, it was an awesome experience to play both areas. aside from that we had a percussion ensemble where we played only indoors which i liked a lot more...simply because it focused more on percussion and the line. it was a great experience either way