Inconvenience or handy?

Does tapping on your legs provide needed playing experience or just an annoying sound for others?

• Handy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad habit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

huijibo

Ive been playing the drums for like 5-6 years now and I still find myself tapping away on my legs...I thought it would be a starting thing but I can't seem to stop. Its especially annoying when you start to do it and dont even realise. The amount of times people shout at me is ridiculous. Anyone else get the same thing?

Anyone else find themselves doing this, even after years of playing?

Also does anyone think any benefits come from this. I think it helps a bit with timing but otherwise I dont see an upside.

So yeah fill in the poll on wether you think its an annoyance or something you should do.

Dale

huijibo":3nntmo8b said:
Ive been playing the drums for like 5-6 years now and I still find myself tapping away on my legs...I thought it would be a starting thing but I can't seem to stop. Its especially annoying when you start to do it and dont even realise. The amount of times people shout at me is ridiculous. Anyone else get the same thing?

Anyone else find themselves doing this, even after years of playing?

Also does anyone think any benefits come from this. I think it helps a bit with timing but otherwise I dont see an upside.

So yeah fill in the poll on wether you think its an annoyance or something you should do.
I have always done this. I made valuable use of it by purchasing a strap on knee practice pad so that I could practice no matter where I was. I've had three of these pads over the years. It might annoy people, but I couldn't care less. If I need to be quiet I just play press rolls.

drummaman

iv always done it and its handy but i can also see it as annoying to others because my brothers a drummer too and he does it and it really aggravates me

downshifter99

I used to get kicked out of class,sent to the principals office all time time for that.I've always done it...still do.

I believe that you gain something from it,weather it be control,technique,speed,whatever....it's a good thing...to me.

I still aggravate people with tapping.If it's not my hands then it's my feet.

Think positive bro'. :idea:

DrewDeLaPoots

i do it all the time and get pretty carried away with it. i'll start busting out loud accents and then double bass with my feet. then i'll do accents with my feet and hands at the same time till someone tells me to be quiet. then i do it again :p

insaneshayne

It runs in my family. I remember sitting at a traffic light and the whole car would be bouncing because I'm in the back seat playing on my legs and my dad was up front bouncing his leg and beating on the steering wheel....
Just keep me away from a stainless steel sink...it's like a set of congas for me!

hits hard

I do this all the time, as a drummer you will beat on everything that makes the least bit noise,

I beat on my desk at work and use my ring like a rim shot and it bugs the hell out of everyone around me,

I think it is handy

drummerXander17

I've been tapping on my legs even since before I started playing on a real drum kit. I used to just tap on my legs whenever I was listening to music. A couple years later I got some decent headphones and was able to listen and play along to music. All that tapping I had done previously made the parts come to me instantly. I'd say tapping improves your listening skills a TON and of course your rhythm.

pyrokatana

yeah, super annoyying, i can't help myself when a song comes on or i got a groove goin in my head...

however, i learned that you shouldn't because girls aren't particularly fond of you tapping away while they try to have the "relationship talk" with you... something about not paying attention.

yep. lost a few cute ones that way.

downshifter99

pyrokatana":2gf6p3zf said:
yeah, super annoyying, i can't help myself when a song comes on or i got a groove goin in my head...

however, i learned that you shouldn't because girls aren't particularly fond of you tapping away while they try to have the "relationship talk" with you... something about not paying attention.

yep. lost a few cute ones that way.
Ah,no REAL loss :shock: ...the real one will support our passion :idea: .

It took me MANY "good ones" :roll: to finally get the supportive one I got now :D .

Thank god....it was getting old :!:

insaneshayne

Hey, if you want to have some fun with it, get some drum machine triggers and put them in your pockets and on the floor and you can freak some people out. I saw a guy do this years ago at Atlanta Pro Percussion when I was a kid and it blew my mind.

kirky365

Haha this is a good one.

Last month I took my parents into a drum shop to buy a kit. When they came out the first thing they said was that all the staff looked like they had some kind of problem, because they were all tapping their hands nearly non-stop.

Later on she realised I did it too and laughs at me whenever I sit and watch tv tapping along to whatever is on.

Flatliner

can't stop doing most of the time I don't even know I'm doing it. I've found it to be very productive, especially with boring lectures. you can do a lot of cordination building in an hour when you've got nothing else to occupy your mind, and using Lang's new dvd it's been even easier to practice cordination without a kit.

TamaSwngstr121

I tap alot throughout the day...everything from tapping on my legs to air drumming...besides getting yelled at by my teacher, i find it very helpful in my coordination.

but thats just my opinion

Tama Drums- The Legend of Innovation

drummaman

in addition to earlier comment...

i nearly got chucked out of an exam last year for tapping... :S

cracked the beat for my bands gig that night though :D

i think this is what probably got most people to take up drums because they were getting all this natural rthym sorry can't spell it and have nowhere to get that creativity out on