In Ear Monitors

Rockdrummer15

I've been thinking about getting some wireless in ear monitors......just wondering everyones thoughts/experiences with the Shure PSM 200's? Are they worth the $$?

Mike DeKic

I agree, its worth every penney if you have the ability to mic everything. If you dont, you just bought yourself some fancy ear-plugs. I use Shure in-ears and cant believe what I used to put my ears through. The only draw back is that if it isnt mic'ed, good luck hearing it. We mic up everything for practice and everyone uses in-ears. Probably one of, if not the best investments I've made.

m

any particular reason you want to go wireless?
I've been using the wired Shures for a few years now and I really like them.
I've tried line-mixers, when I wanted to do the mix myself, and headphone amps when taking the signal from FOH-

I used to get up from the kit to play dumbek, and never had a problem with the wired IEMs.

screamkevin

No offense, but having wireless in-ears is about as smart as having a wireless headset mic' for a drummer. You don't need it. Save the extra $$$ and get a good wired set. You'll get the same results.

Rockdrummer15

Thanks for the advice everyone.....I decided to go for a wireless system because the rest of my band is buying a package of 4 for a reduced price and just included me in the investment....so I figured I might as well use the wireless even though it seems kinda stupid since I dont really move. Now that I know it is a good investment I can feel comfortable putting my bit of cash in...thanks!

Rockula!

I have severely damaged my hearing with in ear monitors because I went straight into my mixer's headphone jack
It has been pointed out to me that I have been pumping full range signals directly into my ears
Make sure you use the unit as well as the ear buds because it compresses the signal to a healthier range

SGarrett

You have to run these things properly guys or, like Rockula, you will damage your hearing and these are meant to save your hearing.

You have to have your own mini-PA and a line limiter absolutely installed on your in-ears so it's physically impossible to get too loud a signal. You take the FOH mix and run it through your mixer so you can control everything about it. NEVER trust the soundman with YOUR ears. NEVER!!! Next, you should also use a ButtKicker (search for it on MusiciansFriend) to get your lows. That will require a power amp, which fits with the mini-PA, to power it.

zen_drummer

SGarrett":201l2fkr said:
You have to run these things properly guys or, like Rockula, you will damage your hearing and these are meant to save your hearing.

You have to have your own mini-PA and a line limiter absolutely installed on your in-ears so it's physically impossible to get too loud a signal. You take the FOH mix and run it through your mixer so you can control everything about it. NEVER trust the soundman with YOUR ears. NEVER!!! Next, you should also use a ButtKicker (search for it on MusiciansFriend) to get your lows. That will require a power amp, which fits with the mini-PA, to power it.
Buttkicker makes a "gaming" version that includes an amplifer and it costs a lot less than the professional version. It works great for about half the price. I have one and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Buttkicker-BK-GR- ... B000AOTLP6