Image? Age? Is How Important?

PerKuhShunIst

I did not write this ...but I thought it might be interesting to share this and spark some discussion, especially if you consider websites like Craigslist to be a microcasm of local music scenes.

Musicians should be M-U-S-I-C-I-A-N-S
Reply to: comm-282672915@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-02-21, 11:55PM PST

Yeah, this will probably be flagged and yanked right away, but for the mere fact that I can get it out of my system on here makes me feel better. Besides, if it even gets through to ONE person, than it's not wasted time for me. For the love of music people........am I the ONLY one who checks these postings on a regular basis and gets completely disgusted reading the same bullshit over and over such as
-"MOST IMPORTANTLY: MUST BE BETWEEN 18 and 25 to be considered!-seriously, if that's what's "most important" then maybe your band needs to reprioritize and focus on SOUND rather than IMAGE!!!!

things like
- "must be hot and in good shape to audition"-sorry, but if you really WANT Paris Hilton on stage, maybe you should listen to her VOICE FIRST!!!!! (yes, that means people who don't physically rank up there with scarlet johansen can actually sing)

or maybe things like
- "no hired guns, we want someone dedicated to OUR band"-ummm......so you basically are saying "no we can't afford someone who's any good cause they won't work for us for free cause we suck?" If you are looking for a band member, than hey, GREAT!!! If you love playing music for the sake of playing music, AWSOME! More power to you! (it doesn't mean you have to bash people trying to make a living doing what they love......some of the industries top instrumentalists record and play live tours for money people)

or possibly
- "must have (blank) type of gear to be considered"-- wow.......if I knew it was THAT easy to "buy" my way into any band I wanted to play in, I would've considered buying things that don't work and sound like crap too, cause then I would have the "right" gear. Yes, there is DEFINATELY something to be said for having professional gear! (I myself own pro-gear), HOWEVER......if you are going to be THAT picky about the color of the guitar...the number of drums they play......the brand of distortion pedal they use.....the brand of cases they haul their stuff in....etc.....seriously people........GOOD MUSIC CAN BE UNIVERSAL!!!! I have no doubt in my mind if you sat Dave Weckl down at a LUDWIG, or DW, or PEARL drumset that he could still play as well as his Yamaha's. I have no doubt in my mind that Zakk wylde could play his solos just as well on an epiphone les paul as he could on a Gibson, a fender, or a PRS. If it is a GOOD QUALITY INSTRUMENT, and APPROPRIATE SOUND FOR THE SETTING, then what's the problem???

then my personal favorite,
-"must be 420 friendly and/or a know how to fuckin drink and party"- so basically, must be able to tolerate a bunch of high-on idiots who are too stoned to make music that anyone else wants to listen to when they are Sober???
yeah........I can't even bring myself to go into this one.

COME ON NOW!!!!! seriously.......why don't people for ONCE just listen to the music they make, realize that any serious and/or professional musician can play and do their job well (weather or not they look like a super model, a teen-ager, or a drugie-burn out), and just let them do their job??? When did image become more important than sound in music??? If this is the direction things are headed, maybe I should change my music performance degree to modeling or fashion. Seriously people.........take all the time you spend getting pissed that no one has the "right look for your group", or maybe that "they missed the age cut off by one year, so they can't be in your band", use that time actaully PRACTICING YOUR MUSIC!!!!, and maybe you'll actually get somewhere other than frustrated and venting that no one is "rock star enough" for your group. *Hint....most big time bands on the air, on tour, with recording contracts to major labels contain members that are.....(gasp) OVER 30!!! Oh for the love of GOD NO!!!!!!! Guess what else? Most of them got where they are cause they can actually (yes, here it comes) PLAY their instruments!!!! OH the HUMANITY!!! Ok, I feel better. Back to the practice room with all of you.

Rockula!

There are two people to blame for stuff like this
The record companies who set the standards and the people who swallow that crap hoping to make it big

PerKuhShunIst

Rockula!":zssf5rw2 said:
There are two people to blame for stuff like this
The record companies who set the standards and the people who swallow that crap hoping to make it big

It seems to me the more time passes the shorter the attention spans and the bigger the need for INSTANT gradification, which has no healthy value for understanding discipline. Many children of today are misguided seemingly directionless souls, discarded like an afterbirth and raised by a propaganda media. Those overly hyped merchants selling false impressions of reality. Many Children given over to available technology and television out of the lack of responsibility, from laziness for the sake of simplicity and over again and again the blind shall lead the blind.

mouse

ok, might get shot for this, but unfortunately image can have a rather important factor in this. however this does entirely depend on the genre of music you're going for. Each has it's own image and requirements that people (often without realising it) seem to adhere to. Play in a metal band- Im sure you're often seen on stage in black t shirts and dark jeans. Pop; bright coloured and very young. Jazz; smart/casual dress. Emo; floppy hair and again quite young. List could go on, and these are only stereotypcial assumptions.

When you go along to see a band, whether you like it or not, you WILL make an assumption about them on their appearance. Unless they have a pretty good image ("look like a group"), then chances are you'll think these people aren't serious, and walk off.

You ever heard people saying about food in a restaurant that you 'eat with your eyes' first? If it looks great, you're expectations are already pretty high and are more likely to try it. If it looks bad, then chances are you won't even give it a chance.

Would you go out and buy a cd by say... Slipknot, their new album, pick up the cd and look at the cover and see them all doing the busted jump. What would you think? Most likely you'd think 'wtf?!?! they sold out! that's not them!' and put it back. It wouldn't fit their IMAGE.

With the introduction of music videos, people suddernly had to concern themselves with what they looked like. It seems to be a human instinct- you warm to the 'pretty ones' (the ones that fit the codes of that genres image).

Unfortunately with ALL the major bands you will every hear of (after the introduction of the music video) will have a strong image-related presense to their marketing stragegies to appeal to the masses. It won't work without one. The music could be the best in the world, but if the band looks 'wrong', then (generally) no ones going to listen.

This is only a stereotypical rule. Like with every rule, there are always exceptions.

(I should add I studied a BA(Hons) degree in Marketing & Advertising, currently looking to get into artist development. Could you not guess? lol)

All of this is in my humble opinion.

Sarah x

blackreign

People should be more concerned about the music they play, if they have to go out and find clothing to dress like the typical musician that plays a "certain genre" of music, then that defeats the purpose of music...

Music is art...

your not supposed to look like everyone else... its the music that defines you, not the clothing.

and yes...
You can mix more than one genre of music into one...

mouse

I guess it depends on your P.O.V and what you wish to acheive. How are you approaching this? Music as art or music as business?

You'll find your answer there.

Sarah x

blackreign

mouse":3g13imqu said:
I guess it depends on your P.O.V and what you wish to acheive. How are you approaching this? Music as art or music as business?

Sarah x
Tis true...

You can make a carear out of music, but still do it as art instead of having an image... Thats my view... I don't think everyone needs to have an image, nor do they need to stick to their "genre" boundries... experimentation is the key to finding something you like

mouse

blackreign":knaje5mx said:
mouse":knaje5mx said:

Sarah x
Tis true...

You can make a carear out of music, but still do it as art instead of having an image... Thats my view... I don't think everyone needs to have an image, nor do they need to stick to their "genre" boundries... experimentation is the key to finding something you like
you could then argue that doing it as art IS an image.

... this topic could get very complicated, lol

Sarah x

brandon8robinson

I've noticed that drummers are usually small, I'm small and I think I'm decent, John Dolmayan, John Bonham isn't the biggest guy, either small or lanky/skinny.

Either way it doesn't matter.

And if anybody is wondering what I'm talking about, I didn't read the post, just the topic.

Flatliner

easiest/hardest image to do is the "we have no image, yeah we're all different races and he's fat and she perhaps should eat a few more hamburgers a day but we are about the music."

does it work? yes and no, you need some serious skill to pull that image off since the only thing you will have going for you is your music. Remembering back to my highschool days I can remember more than a few times a friend saying she liked a band because the poeple in it were hot. I never saw any men say it for that reason(the running joke being an atractive female artist was nice to watch on mute.) but there were plenty of them liking a band or artist because they had enough rebellion in their image.

hmmm...not sure where this is going so I'll just stop now.

FelterSkelter

I also think actual musicians who play for more than pussy and popularity have a hard time with people not appreciating everything they put into the music. Most people just like to swing a beer, dance around, and tell you "that was a good rhythm" and "Play free bird". They put a cd on because they have company over, or they're cleaning the house, or jogging. People like music for many different reasons. Most don't consider that recording one song may have taken weeks, or even months, in between work and school and LIFE.
That's mainly the people that aren't exactly involved in that craft.
I understand that people are unique, but I am also generalizing.

e.g. - I like drinking wine but I couldn't tell you the difference between and $500 bottle of wine and a $5 bottle of wine. If my theory is correct, there is a small group of dedicated people somewhere who hate guys like me.
It's true.

Rockula!

On the flip side, I am a fan of several artists that are not young and pretty but yet have cult followings
They always sell their music
People come to see them on tour
They are not millionaire rock stars but they make a decent living doing what they do and traveling all over the world
Why not live like that?

Then again, I have 15 albums by a guy with a chicken bucket on his head

If people like me exist, then all I need to do is find those people
Hopefully, they will buy my stuff

Susanboy

I honestly think that everything in the world would be better (including but not limited to music) would be better if everyone was blind.

ChrisNichols

Well image does of course play an important factor. Every concert I've been to was as much a visual experience as a musical one. But the music is FAR more important, and just because someone might have a face like the arse end of a bus doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered. They could be the greatest musician in the world, right?

Music first, image second.

andybfrank

Image is important to most people because most people are just casual listeners. The only music they hear is what happens to be on the radio. They listen to whatever is fed to them and don't care to seek out better music. That's fine for them, but not for most of us on this web site, because we are musicians and want more out of the music we listen to. I am comfortable with the fact that most of the music I listen to is by people I've never even seen a picture of and most people have never heard of. I'm also comfortable with the fact that most people will never hear my music, but the ones who do hear it will like or dislike it based on how it sounds, because they probably heard it over the internet and have never even seen what I look like. I'm glad most people will never hear my music because most of those people will just be giving it a casual listen and won't appreciate what went into it. Why should I throw my pearls before swine? (Don't let that last remark lead you to believe that I play christian rock.) Any music that becomes popular and widely listened to will inevitably carry with it an image. If you want your music to be popular you must consider what kind of image it will project and hopefully it will be an honest one that you are reasonably comfortable with. Otherwise you will just have to accept the fact that your music will not be as widely heard. But is that such a bad thing?

Instead of getting so hung up on all of the crappy music out there by really really rediculously good-looking people, turn it off and listen to something better, even if nobody else does. That, and take the initiative to make better music yourself, share it with your friends and post it on the internet. Then accept the fact that its not going to earn you a living and just enjoy the music.

Call me Gideon

Unfortunatly, image has become a big part of music today. My band members range in age from 24-33. We dont care how old you are as long as you can play. We play our gigs dressed the same way that we do every day of our lives but the bands, around here, that are gettin all the attention look like they "dress up" for their gigs.

Rockula!

Keep in mind that this is a forum for musicians
Therefore, we have a bias towards the musician
For the average joe, image is just as important
Especially if the listener is on the fringe