I'm watching a band play right now.

disrupt13

And it got me to thinking, I wanna go join a cover band, I'd like to play out more, make some money and go have fun,

I'm sick of playing in two bands that one does well and the other flounders,

And watching this band makes me think that the guy drumming is showboating to much, he keeps trying to show off and he's losing his sticks and going off beat,

I'm not one to knock anyone,but you should be able to keep playing before you start stick tricks and messing up.

I don't know maybe its just me,

And another hilarious thing is we are watching from our 4th floor room, and at the angle the hi hats are blocking the snare, and my fiancee's like, his snare is loose, look at it its rippling

I laughed so hard my head exploded, figuratively speaking,

Nights in white satin, never meaning the end

ive been wanting to start/join a cover band also. im kinda torn over whether i wanna play songs that i like and probably not get paid too much or go for something that will pay a little better. another thing is that if i start my own i can control who comes in, at first anyways, but putting together a good group of musicians that gel isnt necessarily easy. i am yet to experience what its like to join an already established band or a cover band for that matter.

disrupt13

What I have noticed in my personal experience joining bands, I don't get to write what I want, they always decide for me,

It sucks, I have no creative control,
And I'm not getting paid either, so its a losing situation all around

SINISTER

It's not the dog in the fight, it's the FIGHT in the do, don't ever let someone tell you your business and not stand up for yourself :wink:

disrupt13

I just try and show them what I feel suits the song we are playing, and seeing as I play drums I might know what I'm talking about, but its all 2's and 4's,

I don't feel its much to ask to play how I feel neccesary,

Alan_

yeah, but it's always good to get an idea what the songwriter is feeling.

I give 100% to and believe in the songwriter's vision. If I have any ideas, I bring those to the table. I always give the songwriter veto power. I take the same role with songs I bring to the table.

we ARE talking about a cover band tho, right? I generally try to capture the essence of the song if not cover it outright. if you're playing in an original band and doing a cover, or if you're playing in a band that's raison d'etre is playing cover songs in an individual style, that's a totally different ballgame.

MasterShake89

I like bands that take songs and cover them with their own twists
most recent examples that are cool i can think of are

Sea of treachery - misery business
A day to remember - Since U Been gone
go check them both out, theyre on the bands myspace pages.

I would love to play more cover songs with my band, but we're "out to make it on our own worth, and make our own name"
covers are just outright fun if you love the music to begin with, especially if you get wedding gigs, weddings pay mad dough.

Assback

I been wanting to start a cover band forever. An oldies coverband. Bust out some Temptations and Ritchie Valens :D

I think I could make some okay money. Who doesnt like oldies?

MasterShake89

Assback":1xknovq8 said:
I been wanting to start a cover band forever. An oldies coverband. Bust out some Temptations and Ritchie Valens :D

I think I could make some okay money. Who doesnt like oldies?

gangstas

Brother_Bong

I've already copywrited my cover bands name. It will be a 80's hair metal band called "Mullet-top Cocktail"
Cover bands are a good way to have fun and get payed.

zen_drummer

Brother_Bong":2dh1fpeq said:
I've already copywrited my cover bands name. It will be a 80's hair metal band called "Mullet-top Cocktail"

OM FREAKING GOD!

That is the BEST 80's hair metal band name I have EVER heard!

Did you TRADEMARK or Copyright that?

BR523

speaking of cover bands that put their own twist on another band's music...I have to mention this band which I had the pleasure of seeing live a few months ago. One of funniest/coolest things I ever saw.

http://www.myspace.com/letsmaketragedyhappen

Heavy metal tribute to the Bee Gees

sorry to be off topic, I just wanted to share that

Brother_Bong

zen_drummer":2c9g5j0o said:
Brother_Bong":2c9g5j0o said:
I've already copyrighted my cover bands name. It will be a 80's hair metal band called "Mullet-top Cocktail"

OM FREAKING GOD!

That is the BEST 80's hair metal band name I have EVER heard!

Did you TRADEMARK or Copyright that?
I didn't mention that one to ya Mike?
I'll talk to you off forum about your question.

disrupt13":2lgrqssx said:
I just try and show them what I feel suits the song we are playing, and seeing as I play drums I might know what I'm talking about, but its all 2's and 4's,

I don't feel its much to ask to play how I feel neccesary,

have your ever tried introducing an idea when your going over songs at practice rather than discussing it first? i find that trying to discuss things first can sometimes turn someone off to what you're trying to do before they even hear it. there have also been times where i have changed things without mentioning it and no one notices. worst case scenario is everyone stops in the middle of the song and the writer vetoes you.

another thing that might help is to make sure you nail whatever it is you want to suggest. i have had ideas for parts and when i couldn't translate them to the kit after a couple of tries, it would be veto'd or we would move on.

back your ideas with theory, if possible. for example, "there is a lot of tension in this phrase and i think X helps it build better than Y."

disrupt13

Alan_":qnsazi18 said:
yeah, but it's always good to get an idea what the songwriter is feeling.

I give 100% to and believe in the songwriter's vision. If I have any ideas, I bring those to the table. I always give the songwriter veto power. I take the same role with songs I bring to the table.

we ARE talking about a cover band tho, right? I generally try to capture the essence of the song if not cover it outright. if you're playing in an original band and doing a cover, or if you're playing in a band that's raison d'etre is playing cover songs in an individual style, that's a totally different ballgame.

no this is my original band im complaining about,
what i dont get is, how am i gonna promote a cd that im not playing on and be expect to sell it, when they recorded it with a drum machine even though i was in the band.

maybe its just me but thats bogus.