i'm thinking that my 22" bass drum is too high

redrumba

i play a pdp cx fusion kit maple. i love it. it sounds awesome with my ec clears and superkick on the bass.. the issue i'm running into is my setup. i have my two toms mounted on the kick drum (as it was designed) and the toms just seem like they're set too high and out of reach. i play mainly traditional grip and some matched grip and am exploring a number of styles (rock, funk, jazz/bebop, world beat). i'm not a big person. i'm 5' 4".

i have tried to mount my 10" tom on a cymbal stand at a more comfortable height, then it is placed just left of the kick...but then i can't place my 12" tom anywhere that feels right (plus everythign looked a bit awkward) ;) so now i'm thinking about selling this kit and finding something with a 20" bass drum.... i'm not someone who cares so much about making EXTREMELY LOUD music... i'm more concerned about being comfortable, musical, and play over a long period of time with least fatigue.

recently, i've been raising my seat height quite a bit (i know a lot of drummers play in a higher seating position) which has helped a little, but i don't know if this is a solution...

has anyone run into this issue? how did you resolve it? thx
:)

redrumba

SGarrett":3fgm0d4s said:
Are you sitting really low?
i am sitting more on the high side. in other words, when i sit, my thighs are at a downward angle.. i basically have adjusted my seat as high as i can go without falling forward...

SGarrett

redrumba":3ihqvqkt said:
SGarrett":3ihqvqkt said:
i am sitting more on the high side. in other words, when i sit, my thighs are at a downward angle.. i basically have adjusted my seat as high as i can go without falling forward...
Your legs should be at an approximate 45* angle at the knees.

Are your toms really tilted? I play an LX and little kids are able to play on my kit.

edit:
Bah. I typed that too fast. 45* would be a ridiculous angle. I meant 135* which is 45* past 90*.

Drumosaurus

I had that same problem. I solved it by mounting both toms off to the left on cymbal stands, like where they would be on a double bass kit

break the prism

i remember having that exact problem. mine was especially difficult because i had a standard. i sit at a normal height, with my legs at a reasonable obtuse angle. but i was still too low. i tried raising it so i could play them but it killed my back and legs. so i ended switching to one tom up and two toms down.

FelterSkelter

I've always had a problem with tom placement so I decided to just ditch my 12" tom. I just use the 10" off of a cymbal stand to the left and my 14" floor is mounted on my ride stand.

Alcyon

Raising the tom posts and tilting towards you is a good fix... But I did the same thing as you and both my toms are on the left cymbal stand. Only problem is they look sort of lopsided now. But oh well, whatever works right?

kErmit vOn zOmbie

it doesn't matter if your kit looks awkward, it matters that you are comfortable when playing it. as mentioned earlier hang them both off a cymbal stand or tom stand and get them off of the kick drum. If that doesn't work out for you for any reason, then try a 20" kick and see if that works for you. or you could always try standup!

SuNoAnBuKi

Why not just buy a Pacific Double Tom Stand for $100, mount those bad boys on it and stick 'em off of the left side of the bass drum? I'm a fairly small dude (5'5") so I've run into this same issue and it's one of the main reasons why I don't normally play with two rack toms. Although I don't currently own one I can see a double tom stand quickly resolving this issue.

xdoseonex

SGarrett":3615emba said:
redrumba":3615emba said:
SGarrett":3615emba said:

Are your toms really tilted? I play an LX and little kids are able to play on my kit.

edit:
Bah. I typed that too fast. 45* would be a ridiculous angle. I meant 135* which is 45* past 90*.
i was about to say a 45 degree angle is tottally wrong. in reality your legs are sposed to be almost parralel t the ground when your sitting "properly". but in my oppinion theres nothing more important than being comfortable wen you sit down a your set. so i think you should do whats comfortable. The story of my like is trying to posiion toms over a 22" bass drum. you have to get it just right. i can have my tomsa mounted out of my bassdrum. its just too much of a pain in the ass for me. you just cant move them. you gonna have to bring everything on you kit up a little and sit a bit higher

SGarrett

xdoseonex":1w93m70n said:
SGarrett":1w93m70n said:
redrumba":1w93m70n said:
SGarrett":1w93m70n said:

edit:
i was about to say a 45 degree angle is tottally wrong. in reality your legs are sposed to be almost parralel t the ground when your sitting "properly". but in my oppinion theres nothing more important than being comfortable wen you sit down a your set. so i think you should do whats comfortable. The story of my like is trying to posiion toms over a 22" bass drum. you have to get it just right. i can have my tomsa mounted out of my bassdrum. its just too much of a pain in the ass for me. you just cant move them. you gonna have to bring everything on you kit up a little and sit a bit higher
Anywhere between 90* and 135* is acceptable but closer to 135* is technically correct. Your snare should also be waist high, to be technically correct. Past that use what works for you and how you play. That said, playing close to technically correct should make playing significantly easier.

phil-drummer

you always buy a smaller bass drums, or shove the toms on stands and buy an electric bass drum pad.

id probly choose the 1st one...or just change grip