I'm playing at the Whiskey!!!

McForman

So my band is playing at the Whiskey in LA on April 17 with thrash legend Sabbat (not the Japanese Sabbat, the U.K. Sabbat) . If anyone is in the area and wants to drop in it's gonna be a great show.

This is going to be our first show with a bigger band and we're really excited, so if anyone is interested then send me a message and I'll get more details to you.

McForman

Timekeep69":85ni4wnn said:
Congrats! Did you have to pay the $800 fee to play there?

well the four of us each have to sell $300 worth of tickets to play, and if we can't sell them all, we'll have to cover the rest or they'll take what we have and tell us to go home.

SmellsLikeIan

McForman":3155mgag said:
Timekeep69":3155mgag said:

well the four of us each have to sell $300 worth of tickets to play, and if we can't sell them all, we'll have to cover the rest or they'll take what we have and tell us to go home.

That is truly F**d up. To hell with whoever came up with that scam.

On another note, have fun!
:mrgreen:

mute

playin the whiskey has always been a scam for small bands. and they're not nice about you not coming up with the fee. "take what you have and tell you to go home" is not how i've seen it happen before.

m

SmellsLikeIan":18as6qb9 said:
That is truly F**d up. To hell with whoever came up with that scam.

I think that's pretty much how most of the established venues on the West Coast work, isn't it? That's where the term 'pay to play' comes from.
You don't have a lot of choice but to play by their rules out there and try to build a following fast.
I'm glad it's not like that down here, but then again decent venues are kinda few and far between...

Alan_

here in austin, you don't have to pay TO play, but getting paid an appreciable amount FOR playing is difficult due to the number of bands and venues in town.

McForman":12yx1o2p said:
Timekeep69":12yx1o2p said:

that's ridiculous.

paying a venue $300 (or is it $300 / member?) to play a show is insanity. especially when the show will get you NOTHING.

sure you might make a few new fans... and you're going to have a blast... but that's about it.

don't get me wrong... sweet deal that you got a show there... but that's insane.

i've been lucky enough to play some of the midwest's "coolest", biggest clubs opening for some decent national acts and if i were asked to pay a dime for any of it, i would have not-so-politely told them how far up their asses they could shove their show.

most of the time local, unknown openers are met with indifference anyway.

yikes.

sorry to be a bummer.

Alan_

But seriously, if you play a great set, connect with the audience, and have some merch, it could be a good thing in the end.

mute

it's just how the game works there. but the venue is pretty great. sounds great and has a pretty good layout, so assuming you come up with the cash, you'll have a great time!

Alan_

when I've toured through LA (3x), I was playing in a powerviolence/grindcore band, and we'd end up playing a show thrown in some cheap warehouse or another to a couple hundred craaazy hardcore kids. Both times were GREAT.

mute":38t2h4ys said:
it's just how the game works there. but the venue is pretty great. sounds great and has a pretty good layout, so assuming you come up with the cash, you'll have a great time!

i'm sure... but is that night worth that kinda money?

sorry to sound so crass, but seriously...

fuck l.a.

McForman

yeah it kinda sucks, but if we're lucky then Sabbat will pull a huge crowd and we'll get a lot of exposure. And that means being able to sell some merch. We're not make a profit, but if we can get more fans and wow some folks then it will all be worth it.

zen_drummer

mute":3cgdfc07 said:

I think the place is a dump... But it's a dump with a long history of bands being "discovered" there. CBGB's in NYC had the same "pay to play" thing going for decades.

If your band is ready for it, and you can sell 1200 bucks worth of tickets you'll make some dough on merchandise, if you have the swag to sling. If you can't go in there and break even at least, hold off until you can!

Playing at a classic historical bar like the Whisky can put a band on the map, but it can just as easily finish you off if you go in unprepared and don't make the most o the opportunity.

REMEMBER: Playing at the Whisky is a promotional effort, not a paying gig. If you fall a little short on the ticket sales and have to make up the difference out of pocket you CAN write the loss off on your taxes as an advertising expense.