Which of these two grips are better?

• Traditional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matchstick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dani_olivan1990

Are there any books that can help in broadening my abilities to play different styles? I've been playing for at least a year now, and I have this certain tendency to play and play and play probably the same beats only jumbled over. And can anyone suggest some left hand, and independency exercises? Thanks :D

PS - For the books, if anyone from the Philippines can suggest books that CAN be found in the Philippines, I'd appreciate it ^_^

mortem

umm answering your question on the poll.. it's not about which one is better, it's about which one you are most comfortable playing with.

and about the books.. this may sound dull and you've probably heard about it already (since it's considered the Drum Bible by many) but I'd say Stick Control... I wish I knew about it's existence earlier during my newbie days hahah :\ but yeah, you can do an INFINITY of stuff with that book. So if you don't have it, get it asap.. trust me

Sway

If you want to expand your style you have to first and foremost approach the music you wanna learn as a music listener. You can get all the books in the world and it will help to do that also but you have to know how it sounds how different drummers interpret the same type of music. Like when i wanted to learn how to play hip hop electronic music i had to freakin listen to it 24/7! Then youll get an understanding of how it works your be like "Oh so most of electronic dance stuff is like fast past something to dance to!" ANd if you come across that realization yourself it expands your knowledge and mind alot more man.
For left hand independence. Well if you were in marching band they teach stick heights. So what i did was get a pillow and play just 8th notes at a moderate pace in unison with my right hand. You take both your hand from the wrist up as high as you can and then bring em down hard. Do this until your RIGHT hand starts to hurt. Then count 50 bars out. Thats so your doing 4 notes each bar but 50 bars. Thats total 200 AFTER it already starts to hurt. IF you feel serious pain though quit right away. You dont want to mess yourself up. If you do that with your feet to it works wonders! Oh and play everything you know left handed of course. That helps alot to.

john_bonham73

with regards to drumming...there is an infinite ways you can improve your playing styles.And I guarantee you ask 5 drummers,you are gonna get 5 different answers.And thats not a bad thing....its the art of drumming.Its like a fingerprint...no two are alike.For me.....I love playing rock! And as a drummer for over 25 years,I have settled in that type of genre.The big hurdles I have set myself to overcome are timing(always) left sided retardedness(always an issue) and trying to become creative in fills and playing style.

pearldrumer

i have always played with matchstick. From my beginning percussion classes and drumming. Then its marching band and you have to learn a whole new grip, traditional. Now for the first time this grip was extremely hard but i caught along but in my preference i will always choose matchstick

Robin Graves

i just got a book called the everything drum book. it starts out with very basic beats and progresses to all types of patterns including different styles of music. i got it at books-a-million which i know they have online. it's pretty basic stuff, but it's a start.

Homki890

I have to explain my vote and preferred grip, since they are two different things.

I voted Matched. Why? Because it is the most versatile. Learn matched, you can learn anything. Every percussion instrument can utilize the matched grip (exception of piano, certain toys, and 4-mallet playing). You can play it all with matched, it really the best grip for any purpose.

Traditional Grip is the old fashioned way to play snare drum on slings. The drum slanted that way, and the stick had to be help at the Traditional angle to play the drum. Now, drums are flat, and there really is no need to play Traditional.

However, there is one benefit about Traditional Grip. It is different from the right hand. Therefore, there is no worrying about having a uniform grip in both hands, as with Matched. There are two different hand positions, and can be developed separately, which makes for an easier technique to grasp.

I play Traditional on set and snare, and matched for everything else. I know both to cover all bases. I'm more comfy in Traditional, and I know it best.

Homki890