I'm new =D

I Wear Emericas

Okay, basically I'm new here and I just had a few questions.

Well, one I'm a girl. Soooo I generally get alot of crap for drumming or even trying to be a musician at all. I alot of "you suck cause your a girl" and alot of "you arent as good as (insert name) because youre a girl" I personally think its a little shitty to bash someone and they way they play because of their gender you know? Unfair. But anyway, my point...got any advice on how to get past it because it is a little discouraging at times. I've been playing for 4 years so I cant suck incredibly =/

Moving on...I've noticed alot alot of drummers at my school play double bass. It's not really my thing. So, how would you go about making a regular old 5 piece set sound good?

flamdrag99

i am sorry for those jerks. shame on them. i think that is just awesome when i see girls drumming. anyways moving on, when i was going to school i started way late as compared to all of the other drummers in the band. so i was playing catch up to them for years. the only thing you can do is just push through it and one day they will see the light. just keep playing. eventualy they will respect you as a player. they did for me. and now i get called to go fill in for a couple of community orch/concert bands around town. that would never have happened if i let the other drummer discourage me from playing and becoming better. in fact i became a better player then most of the cats i went to school with. so yeah just push through it and keep playing and getting better. :wink:

anavrinIV

the way to get people to stop giving you crap is to show them all that you can play just as well if not better than them. and you dont have to play double bass to impress anyone, just learn to be fast on a single. listen to bonham and mcbrain to hear some blazing singles.

sylvie_jeff

i'm new on this forum. this is my first post. i've played shows with bands who've had girl drummers that have blown me away, so don't feel like you have something to prove. if you love playing drums... play drums. if you prefer playing with one kick drum pedal... then do that.

drumsforlife

Don't get a double pedal just because that's what other drummers are doing. Learn 16th note runs between the snare, toms, and bass anyway. No double kick required. Just start slow doing double kicks on your single. When you master that and if you decide to get a double kick anyway, you'll be able to do triples. Stay positive. And whenever I witness other male drummers giving the one and only girl drummer flack, I give them whatfor. I have a lot of respect for the female drummer crowd. Because of the flack, a lot I see are better than me...

drummert2k

do what you enjoy and what feels comfy to you. if someone gives you crap about being a girl drummer just tell them you have 2 hands and 2 feet just like them so you're capable of playing the same stuff. gender really shouldnt make a differance in music (except a singer) a female is just as capable as a male at whatever instrument they pick up. so dont let these people bug you. they obviously havent gotten past the point in their life where its about the music and not what the person looks like or the gear they use otr its its a guy or a girl. so just ignore them.

as for double pedal, if its not your thing than dont want to use it because other people do. down the road if you decide you want a double pedal, the years you spent developing your foot independence from high hat work will make playing double pedal a lot easier. i notice a lot of beginning drummers who only have been playing for a year or 2 play double pedal and use it for really simple doubles and stuff like that which can be done on one pedal with a little practice. and this will hurt their over all playing down the road. so if you're comfy with single kick than play single kick. dont worry about what someone says or uses. do what you like.

p.s. welcome to the forum!

CRAIGVT

Growing up my older brother played guitar and had a "band" lol. He had several drummers at one time or another. I think the best was a girl that was in his class (3 years ahead of me). She had a Pearl set, and I always wanted to be as good as her. I haven't seen her in years, but I'll never forget that girl that got me drumming. Look around you, you never know who's watching. :wink:

PerKuhShunIst

HI,
Usually people begin bashing others when they are intimidated or threatend. Understand this fact and when you hear them making remarks see past the surface of it and know they are unknowingly showing insecurity and weakness for doing it.

2ND
Out drum them! Challenge them to a drum off or something.
(As another guy on this site so eloquently stated in a different thread)Make their asses cash the check thier mouths wrote. But only if you feel the need to prove yourself.
Without hearing any of you play I already think by your state of mind and heart your a better drummer anyway.

My uncle was a congero in the Bay area of Calif during the days of the Santana blues band....he grew up playing with Pete Escovedo.
If you ever get a chance listen to Petes daughter (Sheila E) play either the drums or congas or timbales and as you watch her amazing capacity to hold time and solo like a blazing fire over the top of that....think of those very weak people that judged you for being a girl drummer ......and then smile and laugh at them and never worry about remarks like that again ;)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HunTCJ1Xl50"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HunTCJ1Xl50" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

mapexdrummer

hey! im sorry bout the jerks bashing you cuz your a girl..i know alot of girl drummers that are actually really good!! specially with mallet percussion as well as drumset percussion. ask for making ur 5 piece sound good..all it takes is sum good grooves, nice tuning, technique, and if you want learn how to do a double stroke with your foot [called diddles or ruffs] that will make it sound like you have a double pedal ;p

WhiteOleander

yeh I was getting shit for being a chick too, but I actually loved it because it encouraged me to really practice and become good.. since then they all have respect for me and go around telling people that im better than most guys they know.. so don't take it negatively, just prove them wrong ;)

Dee

Hey, welcome to the forum, Sorry you get shit for being a female drummer, that sucks, I haven't had any yet but i'd love to tell the jerks to go and F%ck themselves if they say anything!

Welcome to the forum!

Scott_Hurford

I Wear Emericas":26pw84dh said:

Well, one I'm a girl. Soooo I generally get alot of crap for drumming or even trying to be a musician at all. I alot of "you suck cause your a girl" and alot of "you arent as good as (insert name) because youre a girl" I personally think its a little shitty to bash someone and they way they play because of their gender you know? Unfair. But anyway, my point...got any advice on how to get past it because it is a little discouraging at times. I've been playing for 4 years so I cant suck incredibly =/

Moving on...I've noticed alot alot of drummers at my school play double bass. It's not really my thing. So, how would you go about making a regular old 5 piece set sound good?
first of all, say a MASSIVE F**K YOU to those ppl that put you down becoz your a female drummer!
who cares, drumming skills aint defined by the gender, play your heart out, and brush those nasty comments of your stong drummers back :wink:
try and impress ppl who play double bass, by showing them awsome single bass/hihat techniques 8)

My advice is to learn funk, jazz, and possibly some RnB/Reggae drumming, all are very groove realted and are suited for single bass/hihat work most of the time.
Master some of those genres' techniques, and your'll blow them away :)

P.S. i find its easier to acheive a better sound with less drums... simply becoz, if u have alot of drums, they can tend to be "Overused", imagine having 50 toms to the right of u at practice, it would make u wanna just thrash them all the time wouldnt it?
having less will make u experiment with what u got, and u can get down to the more techniqal side of things.
4 or 5 piece kits sounds perfect :wink:

Hope thats helped you in some way...let me know how things go.

~Scott~

Piddywiffle

Only people who are insecure about their own drumming, will make fun of other dummers. If I was you i'de carry a big ass mallet around... rubber or wood tip... and if they say anything do a few rudiments on their head. :wink:

As for the double kick i do have one. I'm also working each foot on their own. This way, on down the road, I will have two feet capable of awsome potential. All the doubles, triplets, 16th, and whatever else I want could be done with each foot.

Maybe one day i'll have an action figure of my feet with ninja like rudiment action. :lol:

Thats my 2 cents tho. You got two feet so you have twice the potential.

But as these other drum addicts said... It all comes down to what you want. Keyword: YOU.

I wish you the best, and dont forget to buy those big mallets :D

cheers
8)

matt

ha ha if any guy drummer gives u shit for being a girl
just say
"the only thing close that u'll get even CLOSE to banging
is ur drums"
hahaha

matt

also about ur 5 piece set . its not necessary to get a double pedal. if u play like rock or emo or pop or jazz . pretty much anything not metal
then u probably wont need a double pedal. unless ur like the drummer of saosin who uses double bass even tho he's in an emo band. but thats just his style of playing.

i have a double pedal. iron cobra actually. im buying axis soon :]] anyway. i play mainly death metal and grindcore. if u dont play any sort of metal then i dont see why you would need a double pedal. i mean you could always have it for badass fills and such. that, or get spead up on your single pedal. thats what i had to do until i could buy a double pedal. then again its all about preference.

i have a 6 piece set. i hardly use my 2nd floor tom. believe me u can make plenty of noise useing a 5 piece or lower piece set. drummers do it all the time. art blakey used a small set yet he's 1 of my most influental drummers of all time. dont ask how u mix jazz with death metal, you just do sometimes :]

Piddywiffle

matt":25qayfe0 said:
dont ask how u mix jazz with death metal, you just do sometimes :]
As an active metal advocate I see it a lot more then you might think. Lotta Blues beats too.

Still tho. If it sounds good to you, then rock it.

mattsmith

People who obsess about this girl drummer stuff are idiots. I really don't think people even see Cyndi Blackman, Terri Lynne Carrington or Sheila E as women anymore. I think they're just known as monster drummers...period.

Now I think it would be a different story if a woman drummer was trying to get a special break because of her sex, but I've just never seen that.

stump

For one, being a girl does not mean anything when it comes to being a musician. Welcome to the world of drumming. Look at Sheila E, awesome drummer. As far as double bass, it is not necessary to play DB to be a great drummer. There are many great drummers who dont use DB. As for making a standard 5 pc kit sound good, Practice and experiment. And don't let people tell you that girls can't be drummers.

I Wear Emericas":1q5ecc9p said:

double bass will open some doors for in the creative chops side. you dont have to use it like a metal player infact theres alot of modern jazz players out there now that are adding double pedal to their kits. use it for fills or rolls (do a cool roll on your feet and that frees your hands up n do some cool stick tricks or whatever and show people you mean business then break back into a cool beat). alot of people these days (unfortunately) dont like the showmanship idea and take it for showing off but ive played along side these drummers did they get people coming up to them n saying they were inspired by their playing or asking for advice? on stage you have got to have this character about you that makes people beleive that you were born to play the drums. on the making fun of you side of things i recomend you dont let it get to you n please dont become one of those girl drummers that loves being able to say "hey im a girl n im better than most guys so ner!" some sort of drumming version of shania twain or something haha!! simply just work hard and let your playing do the talking.