Im looking into some alternate percussion what should i get?

drummert2k

theres about 142 million things you could get. everything from shakers to bells to guiros to tambourines to effect ctmbals to differant types of effect drums to a bunch of hand drums. lots and lots and lots to choose from. i guess the question is, what genre are you really looking to use these in. you working on african rythms, latin, salsa, samba, greek dance, cuban, afro cuban, baiao.

world music is a very broad spectrum. lots and lots of differant percussive instruments are the staples of cirtain world genres. so if theres a specific genre then you just have to find out what the main instruments used in that genre

break the prism

temple block, blast blocks, jam blocks, washboards, modules, bells, pieces of concert percussion (xylophone pads, marimba pads), african or latin percussion like djembes, bongos, congas, or tumbas

skitch

COnga and bongos. Learn to play them right and you can also be a percussionist and have another job opportunity! Don't overlook getting some tambourines! It isn't just for the drunk chick to play badly; tastefully played tambourine can really add to a band's sound or a song. Just listen to any motown song or any Johnny A track!

FelterSkelter

I have expanded my set with some Treeworks chimes, Toca timbale snare, Toca jingle snare, some jam blocks, a tapon cowbell, an UDU, a cajon, vibraslap, flex-a-tone.....
I'm still trying to figure out a comfortable setup to use it all consecutively.
There is a world of stuff offered from LP alone to expand your tonal flavors.
Have fun!

andybfrank

and a whole truck load of marching percussion instruments and a bunch of slaves who will play them all in unison at your command!

skitch

andybfrank":6ti631n2 said:
and a whole truck load of marching percussion instruments and a bunch of slaves who will play them all in unison at your command!
LOL!

Wouldn't this make you a band director?

Piddywiffle

Shalaq":2yeo2bar said:
Look around for some coctail kit. They add a lot of new colours to normal playing.
only cocktail kits ive seen were done by yamaha... and OMG are they overpriced.

But I see what you mean, cocktail kits look like a lot of fun

andybfrank":gg8ou3yu said:
Dude, you should get a five octave marimba and a set of 5 timpani.
I hope you have a very large bank account.
I think you should get a blast block, Octobans or a small set of timbales, or my personal favorite a triangle! :wink:

antiunderscores

I love Cheese and drums":2w7zixfe said:
andybfrank":2w7zixfe said:
Dude, you should get a five octave marimba and a set of 5 timpani.
I hope you have a very large bank account.
I think you should get a blast block, Octobans or a small set of timbales, or my personal favorite a triangle! :wink:
what about the electric triangle?