I'm Looking Into A New Drum Set...

Mitchell?

Alright, lately I've decided that now that I've improved greatly over the past few years, I'm in a band that's playing out, and my current drum set blows goat, that it's time I upgraded.

I've been looking around, and I've kind've narrowed it down to two possibilities:

Gretsch Catalina Ash:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=445671

ddrum Dominion Dorian AMX:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=449394

The Gretsch set is all ash, the ddrum is maple with an outer ply of ash.

I've heard spotty things about BOTH companies actually, but the lowest rating for the Gretsch set on Musicians Friend is 4 stars, and the lowest rating for the ddrum is 4.5, which is pretty impressive.

Opinions? Advice? Comments?

By the way, I'm open to other shell packs. I don't need any hardware, so just shell packs please, unless a set is just awesome that isn't a shell pack.

The kind of music I play is basically British Invasion and everything heavier than that.
That ncludes grindcore, metalcore, deathcore and so on and so on...so pretty much the set needs to be pretty versatile sound-wise.

I should also mention my budget is basically anything under 900, the cheaper the better. But I still want quality, so I'm open to suggestion at 900 and such.

Mitchell?

Timekeep69":18ayvesn said:
Ever think about going custom? :mrgreen:
I'd love too, but I just don't have the cash... :(

But I do plan when I'm rich and famous after I get a PRS Hollowbody 2 and Mesa Boogie Triple Rec stack, to get a beautiful MM kit. :D

botcore69

im gettin my mapex saturn kit today so id say go for one of them :lol: does depend how much money youve got. have u played any of them?

Mitchell?

botcore69":25l6gg8v said:
im gettin my mapex saturn kit today so id say go for one of them :lol: does depend how much money youve got. have u played any of them?
Yeah, I'm on a busy schedule right now, so I probably won't be able to go to the GC here for a long time.

And I'm not even sure they have those kits....my GC is tiny, and have a limited drum set selection.

antiunderscores

Mitchell?":2c8mek30 said:
Timekeep69":2c8mek30 said:
Ever think about going custom? :mrgreen:
I'd love too, but I just don't have the cash... :(

But I do plan when I'm rich and famous after I get a PRS Hollowbody 2 and Mesa Boogie Triple Rec stack, to get a beautiful MM kit. :D
I would spend the money on tools so i could make my own guitar out of good stuff and have an Alder or Mahogany with maple top body with a payo ferro fret board a dimarzio super distortion in bridge and a warm sounding single coil in neck... yeh that'd be sweet...

vincemie

don't rule out pacific and yamaha stage customs for this price range, i work in a rehearsal studio where the drums get beaten on like you would not believe and they have held up well. recently i have seen yamaha stage customs with plastic lug set-ups. i would stay away from that. but i also owned stage customs and they did me REALLY GOOD for a REALLY LONG TIME. i've toured with them twice. made a pretty sweet homemade album with them too. they sound nice and they have a good build quailty for the price range. try them i bet you'll like them.

Mitchell?

Oh bollocks, I just had to drop some cash that I was planning to spend on a new set on some necessities.

Guess I'm going to have to scour the 'bay for a shell pack... :?

Mitchell?

Lol :D

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to go with a kit on eBay, it's a Pearl Session Custom kit with 10", 12", 14" and 22". No snare, but I've got an Acrolite. All-maple shells, and a beautiful fade on it.

vincemie

i wont im up to my nose in drums :) that looks pretty freaking sweet though i'll bet it'll sound nice with the acrolite. it says no mounting hardware though so theres a little extra dough you'll need to spend. but yeah i'd go for it man

vincemie

you have bass drum mounted toms? as long as the mounts are round i dont see why they wouldnt, i cant guarantee though i could be very wrong. the thickness of the brackets may not jive with the holes. anything can happen look at some pics see if you can dig something up.