i'm looking for a new cymbal

pegleg

my setup is all sabian. B8 14 hats, 20 ride, 16 crash, and 10 splash and an 15 AAXplosion crash. i wanna get a bigger crash to replace the B8, probably 18 in. i was thinking another AAXplosion, but i'm wondering if there's another crash out there that some of you'd suggest.
it doesn't matter if it's sabian, as long as it sounds good with what i've already got

anavrinIV

i have the 18" aaxplosion and it sounds amazing. if you like your 15" then i highly suggest getting the 18", espcially if you have the money. i have the 14" one and they are a great pair of crashes.

pegleg

the way i see it, my AAXplosion is easily the best cymbal i have, but i'm looking for a cymbal that's not so dark. something like an AA you'd find on a jazz set.

what i'm doing is gradually replacing my B8s with better cymbals.

...hooray for not having money

anavrinIV

aaxplosions are pretty bright...if youre looking for anything much brighter then look at the vault crashes...those things are like shattering glass. i personally want some darker cymbals for my setup so i guess were working in opposite directions here, but take a look at the vaults.

NO... BAD... Sabians are crap... you don't like crap now, do you? Go with Zildjian A's or A Customs. They are expensive, but you won't have to buy one for another the rest of your life.

pegleg

betterdrummerthanyou":31qukc85 said:
NO... BAD... Sabians are crap... you don't like crap now, do you? Go with Zildjian A's or A Customs. They are expensive, but you won't have to buy one for another the rest of your life.
i know i'm new on this forum, but i have a feeling i'm going to completely ignore most of what you say

Howepirate

pegleg":3859diwl said:
betterdrummerthanyou":3859diwl said:
i know i'm new on this forum, but i have a feeling i'm going to completely ignore most of what you say
pegleg trust me...thats one of your wisest decisions ...this kid does not display the utmost brilliance on this board....and besides i know people who crack A customs like they crack smiles .... not a good saying but oh well

pegleg

anavrinIV":30woddxi said:
aaxplosions are pretty bright...if youre looking for anything much brighter then look at the vault crashes...those things are like shattering glass. i personally want some darker cymbals for my setup so i guess were working in opposite directions here, but take a look at the vaults.
i guess it's just my AAX. when it decays, it's got kind of a dark undertone.

i'll probably just get another AAX. that was my first idea anyway.

how much of a sound difference is there between the 15 and 18 inch models?

vgarate

betterdrummerthanyou":25n5vno3 said:
Everyone decides what's better for himself, you don't have to go around saying that this or that brand is crap...

I hardly decide wich is better, but I stick to Sabian for example, because they sign up as endorsers the most newcomes on the industry (I hope to be one of them) and they can make custom cymbals to your like, no other company does this...

Zildjian has most of drum legends (most, not all)... bust also Paiste and Sabian... and about good cymbals, you're forgetting Meinl, Saluda, Turkish, Istambul, UFIP and so good companies that make excellent cymbals but are underrated just because they're not used by famous top billboard band's drummers.

Enough said...

----

Well, to aur friend pegleg... as I see, you still have your B8's. They're bright and your mixing them with AAXplosions... seems coherent to me.

AAXplosions are just fantastic cymbals, they are very responsive and fairly bright. I'll follow the majority's advice: I'll go to the 18" AAXplosion.

But you should decide, and I recomend to do it from now... wich sound would you like to have on your cymbals are wich are the styles you're going to play most of the times.

I like not so bright cymbals and darker ones... I use a mix of AAX dark (big sizes because they tend to have short sustain) and HHX. They blend perfect and are usefull in all styles I'm playing (electronic, jazz, ska, latin jazz, latin, rock, pop...)

It's all on your like too... hit as much cymbals as you can and go with someone who crash them so you can hear them from far away, so you'll have a round evaluation both as a drummer and audience.

Hope this to be helpfull. :)

anavrinIV

pegleg":14rlntfq said:
anavrinIV":14rlntfq said:
i guess it's just my AAX. when it decays, it's got kind of a dark undertone.

i'll probably just get another AAX. that was my first idea anyway.

how much of a sound difference is there between the 15 and 18 inch models?
they do have some darker undertones but only you will notice that. if you hit the cymbal and ignore the undertones you will notice a peak high note about half way through the "explosion" part, before the decay hits. i personally really like the bright/dark combination.

as for the sound difference, it is quite a noticable one. my 18" is darker than my 14" but not in a bad way. because the 2 cymbals have similar sound characteristics (being from the same line and all) they blend very well together. the bigger cymbal will ring longer than the smaller one and it will be a little darker but its louder. and if you ride your crashes a lot, this one works great, unless youre doing something with death metal speed.

the reason i got the aaxplosion in the first place was because i was trying to match something with an 18" paiste signature full crash (almost twice as much as the aaxplosion). i was a little irritated that i couldnt find anything that compared in sound for a good price and i started playing every crash on the wall in rapid succesion, but when i hit this cymbal i just stopped. i pulled it off the shelf, set it up next to the paiste, hit them both a couple times and bought that cymbal on the spot. right now i have them set up next to each other and they sound almost identical (not necessarily a good thing, but for half the price i would much rather buy more aaxplosions than a bunch of sigs).

so yeah. play it if you can. then let your ears decide. i know that i havent regretted it yet, over a year and a half into owning it.