I'm in a shitty band.....

IcantDrum

I started drumming a few months ago. I played guitar for a few years before that. anyway, I just joined a band last week. the guy is cool, he's the first person in my area wanting to do music as serious as I do and doesn't mind giving me a ride(I'm 24 and don't drive. it's a long story). ....but his singing sucks. the style music does too, but when I play drums I don't really care about the style music, I just want to beat the hell out of my drums. we've already had our guitarist leave(she joined about a week before I did) what should I do? should I stick with it since I told him I'm staying until the end? suck it up, tell him the truth and leave? ...this is only my second band, but my first one that sucked. and I don't know how to handle it. I apologize if this sounds stupid, but I'm not good with communicating with people and have very limited experience with bands and would like some advice from anyone who's dealt with this kind of thing before....

thanks in advance for any help.

GypoDrummer

ok now im only gonna give you suggestions, maybe tell you what i would do...

so maybe suggest getting a better singer? or maybe try a different style? i wouldn't leave so soon either... a good band can sometimes take time to create, my band sucked crap when we first got together, but i'm actually quite impressed by the stuff we play nowadays - nearly a year later...

also, are you taking lessons? is the other person/people in your band taking lessons? if not, i would highly advise to take a least some lessons, whether it be for a month, a year, or whenever...

skitch

GypoDrummer":17vyqmmu said:
ok now im only gonna give you suggestions, maybe tell you what i would do...

so maybe suggest getting a better singer? or maybe try a different style? i wouldn't leave so soon either... a good band can sometimes take time to create, my band sucked crap when we first got together, but i'm actually quite impressed by the stuff we play nowadays - nearly a year later...

also, are you taking lessons? is the other person/people in your band taking lessons? if not, i would highly advise to take a least some lessons, whether it be for a month, a year, or whenever...
Well, I thought that these were excellent suggestions!

dwtoast72

He's what I would do: (i have no idea what you schedule is like, but.......) as previously mentioned, get lessons!! It could be once a week for an hour or once every 2 weeks for 2-3 hours per session!! You can play guitar and that's a VALUABLE TOOL!!! It'll show when you start to actually write music, so don't put that guitar by any means, but don't lose focus on the drums either. Plug into your stereo or ipod and play along, that makes the best personal practice session in my eyes. Find a pre-established band (dedictated members who write and have written music together and have a direction). If the band plays a genre of music that you've never played before then I would say download some of their recommendations for that style/genre and play to it. And lastly, keep your current establishment in your back pocket; you never what could happen with those guys, you know?

dwtoast72

oh, one more thing......try not to be terribly concerned with the style of music that the band you join is playing. If it's totally diferent from what you're used to or you've never played it before it'll help you in the long run. It'll help you become a verstitle and well rounded drummer.....

Toad

Brother I feel your pain. I am starting a new project with some guys I know and man do we suck right now. We aren't replacing anyone and we don't have any personality or artistic conflicts at the moment. We just keep practicing and playing for the love of music. We are serious about the music and we take ourselves as individuals very lightly. We are not planning on touring or getting the big contract we just play for the love of it.
Brother have fun and laugh at yourself. Most of all take the other advice from the other drummers and keep practicing!

stump

Get out! Don't string things along if the vibe isn't there. If you do then you are setting yourself up for failure. Peace on ya!

JAdrums2k

Never turn down a jam w/ a free ride!!!

Practice, practice, practice.... you'll only get better in the meantime

xdoseonex

dwtoast72":2ahzc6sl said:
oh, one more thing......try not to be terribly concerned with the style of music that the band you join is playing. If it's totally diferent from what you're used to or you've never played it before it'll help you in the long run. It'll help you become a verstitle and well rounded drummer.....
how can you not be concerned what type of music your playing?

Rockula!

I'll back X up on this one
I agree that you are going to have to wade through a lot of shit to get to the point where you want to be but haven't we all?
Besides, you may not like this type of music forever
I know that I don't play anything near what I played 5 years ago
I do agree with the people who tell you to practice but I would say that experience is just as valuable as practice
In fact, I think it counts for more because you see successful people all the time that you know you could personally run over
Yes, it maters if you are a good musician but it matters more if you are a good player
And you are never going to become a better player slogging it out with music you don't enjoy

The more gigs you play, the more people are going to see you at those gigs
If you are good enough, people will want to steal you from a band just like you would steal some poor slob's girlfriend
Most people don't have the luxury of starting their own great band (especially drummers) so you may have to jump in on one
Just make sure you communicate from the get go that you are in a business and any parting of the ways isn't personal
In fact, don't take ANY business personal (that includes recieving attitude from just about EVERYONE you meet on the elevated side of the stage)
If you make yourself a commodity, then people will percieve you to be one
So
Play the style you want but try to allign yourself with the best possible musicians in your field
Network by going to shows
Hang out with the big fish in your little pond
Ask questions
Study what they did to get all of those people to pay to get into a club and drink overpriced drinks
My Space is an INCREDIBLE resource tool for musicians
Do whatever you can do to get your face out there
It doesn't matter one bit how good you are if no one gets a chance to see it
If you create enough opportunities to prove it, you will also create more opportunities to advance

The other thing you might want to do is spend your money on your equipment
Nothing is wrong with partying and taking your girlfriend out but you gotsta have a decent rig (unless she's a stripper and buying it for you)
Shitty equipment is the sign of an amateur, be they a newbie or someone who just pretends to be a musician
Everyone but rich kids start out with amateur equipment but you don't have to be an amateur forever
Besides, building your own rig is much more personal and satisfying

As long as you keep your eyes on the immediate future, you can allow yourself to fantasize about the big time
I'm not saying it can't happen
Just don't let it take your focus off immediate plans
That's the difference between something real and just another local band

JAdrums2k

Rockula!":jlz6gqgq said:
I'll back X up on this one
I agree that you are going to have to wade through a lot of shit to get to the point where you want to be but haven't we all?
Besides, you may not like this type of music forever
I know that I don't play anything near what I played 5 years ago
I do agree with the people who tell you to practice but I would say that experience is just as valuable as practice
In fact, I think it counts for more because you see successful people all the time that you know you could personally run over
Yes, it maters if you are a good musician but it matters more if you are a good player
And you are never going to become a better player slogging it out with music you don't enjoy

The more gigs you play, the more people are going to see you at those gigs
If you are good enough, people will want to steal you from a band just like you would steal some poor slob's girlfriend
Most people don't have the luxury of starting their own great band (especially drummers) so you may have to jump in on one
Just make sure you communicate from the get go that you are in a business and any parting of the ways isn't personal
In fact, don't take ANY business personal (that includes recieving attitude from just about EVERYONE you meet on the elevated side of the stage)
If you make yourself a commodity, then people will percieve you to be one
So
Play the style you want but try to allign yourself with the best possible musicians in your field
Network by going to shows
Hang out with the big fish in your little pond
Ask questions
Study what they did to get all of those people to pay to get into a club and drink overpriced drinks
My Space is an INCREDIBLE resource tool for musicians
Do whatever you can do to get your face out there
It doesn't matter one bit how good you are if no one gets a chance to see it
If you create enough opportunities to prove it, you will also create more opportunities to advance

The other thing you might want to do is spend your money on your equipment
Nothing is wrong with partying and taking your girlfriend out but you gotsta have a decent rig (unless she's a stripper and buying it for you)
Shitty equipment is the sign of an amateur, be they a newbie or someone who just pretends to be a musician
Everyone but rich kids start out with amateur equipment but you don't have to be an amateur forever
Besides, building your own rig is much more personal and satisfying

As long as you keep your eyes on the immediate future, you can allow yourself to fantasize about the big time
I'm not saying it can't happen
Just don't let it take your focus off immediate plans
That's the difference between something real and just another local band
excellent!

dwtoast72

xdoseonex":wvvky5mc said:
dwtoast72":wvvky5mc said:
did you NOT get the point I was tryin to get across??? I have a style that I'm preferential to but I'm not picky. A picky and concieted attitude only closes doors.... I'm just tryin to reinforce that

dwtoast72

dwtoast72":v1739tp4 said:
xdoseonex":v1739tp4 said:
dwtoast72":v1739tp4 said:
did you NOT get the point I was tryin to get across??? I have a style that I'm preferential to but I'm not picky. A picky and concieted attitude only closes doors.... I'm just tryin to reinforce that
....your attitude is wrong, dude

Martybabes

Play what you need to pay the bills man.

Who cares if it's not what you wana play, it's good experience in the long run.

That's the way i see it.

Rockula!

Then you may as well get a job at Guitar Center and give up
No one picks up an instrument and says "I can't wait to become average"

IcantDrum

I don't mind playing that style music, I just want to play drums. it's his singing that's making me second guess it. although I guess it could be worse, we could be sounding like one of the 50 emo/screamo bands in our area.

GypoDrummer

IcantDrum":v60w7tuz said:
I don't mind playing that style music, I just want to play drums. it's his singing that's making me second guess it. although I guess it could be worse, we could be sounding like one of the 50 emo/screamo bands in our area.
have you suggested talking about auditioning a singer? or suggested the singer take some singing lessons?

just my ideas...

IcantDrum

GypoDrummer":onlid3fk said:
IcantDrum":onlid3fk said:
have you suggested talking about auditioning a singer? or suggested the singer take some singing lessons?

just my ideas...
the guitarist that left mentioned it and he didn't like the idea. after she left he kept telling me "I can't believe she though I needed singing lessons". and he's always saying "I'm not the kind of guy to toot my own horn...." but for not being "that kind of guy" he sure does it a lot....