im bad at fills

invision

so ive been playing about 6 months now, i can play the bass and snare pretty well, i can kick some funky beats and mix up some off set snares and bass beats while throwing in some cymbals and hi-hat stuff but for the life of me i just suck at fills. i just dont know where to place them, and mixing up the toms rather going high to low seems impossible to do, i can go hi-low alright but nothing fancy basicly im pulling a lars and it sucks.

speed also seems to be a fill issue, slows fills (when i seem to place them right) are pretty simple but anything with speed makes me clang sticks,hit rims, hit myself, miss cymbals, and so on......... i dont know......i still love playing but i need to learn to be creative and im stuck.

SmellsLikeIan

All it takes is time and effort. Use a metronome and improvise over it, play along with CDs and the radio, jam down with other people you know. Six months isn't a long time in the evolution of one's musical abilities. You'll get better at it the more you play. There are honestly no shortcuts.

bapudi

if you listen to alot of hendrix you can hear how to piece fills and work them.

not to copy mitch but try to learn to just grab sounds and put them on the drums.

break the prism

bapudi":x8al07ft said:
if you listen to alot of hendrix you can hear how to piece fills and work them.

not to copy mitch but try to learn to just grab sounds and put them on the drums.
that's who i learned from when i started to play rock. i played jazz for a long while before i got into rock drumming.

Nessmaster

invision":3q14lbo9 said:
so ive been playing about 6 months now, i can play the bass and snare pretty well, i can kick some funky beats and mix up some off set snares and bass beats while throwing in some cymbals and hi-hat stuff but for the life of me i just suck at fills. i just dont know where to place them, and mixing up the toms rather going high to low seems impossible to do, i can go hi-low alright but nothing fancy basicly im pulling a lars and it sucks.

speed also seems to be a fill issue, slows fills (when i seem to place them right) are pretty simple but anything with speed makes me clang sticks,hit rims, hit myself, miss cymbals, and so on......... i dont know......i still love playing but i need to learn to be creative and im stuck.
I know how you feel, I used to be the same, and as lame as it sounds, one day I just started placing the toms in the right place and started missing the rims less and hitting the heads more. I listen to ALOT of Hendrix and Mitch is my fav drummer (check out my avatar). So far, what I've learned from drumming is that you just have to keep doing it and you'll get better.

Hack_and_Slash

It will come to you naturally when you start playing along with music. When I first started with the basic beats, I could never find out when to begin and end a fill.

break the prism

the hardest thing for me when i started playing rock was remembering to not play a fill in swung time in a song that was not in swung time.

okjohne

six months is nuthin.. It'll take years of serious study to do the things you hear on the radio. Last week I practiced over 8 hours and I've been at this for 28 years. Sure listen to hendrix or green day or the beatles for your fills. You might think some lessons sre in order. A good teacher will give you lessons to help build the skills needed for fills. The only short cut to geting good is to be born good.

NG1284

Practice your rudiments a lot. Nothing helps getting fills down more than having good stick control.

break the prism

i've been playing drum set for about seven years and i still come across fills that sound great in my head, but i can't quite get right on the kit.

skitch

FInd a song that has a fill you like. take that fill and learn it as it was recorded. Then, take that fill and find as many different ways to play as you can think of. For instance, the song "Dazz" has an intro fill that you can hear and it is very simple. Take that fill....learn it just like it is. Then take that rhythm and apply the fill all on the snare, all on the toms, between the snare and the toms, between the toms , snare, and hi hat....and so on. Pretty soon you have a multitude of ways of playing the same rhythm but expressing it differenly

Rob Crisp

See how you said you get it right more when you play slowly THAT THERE is the key to getting better. Play slowly and consistently and the speed will come and at the same time your accuracy will develop.

It's hard to be creative when you're blazing round the kit, you need to think slow break down the time (space) where you want to fill and play what feels cool. Then gradually speed it up. Eventually it'll come a lot easier.

As the guys have said, you can pick up all kinds of licks and tricks from listening to drummers.

Another thing you might find handy is re-adjusting your kit.

Try closing your eyes and playing it. Does everything sit where you have the kit in your minds eye? Try and move things so they fit where you feel they should be as opposed to where looks cool or you think they should be.

JonBarber

I also sucked at drum fills till my old drum teacher introduced me to a little album called Moving Pictures by Rush, it changed my life. 12 years later the fills are sounding great.

m

JonBarber":2rg76w3y said:
I also sucked at drum fills till my old drum teacher introduced me to a little album called Moving Pictures by Rush, it changed my life. 12 years later the fills are sounding great.
well, since you brought him up, I'm going to agree- Neil's fills can make you look at them a little differently.

I like to think of a fill as a little mini-song inside the song. It should express something and have intent/purpose and meaningful structure.
It takes some time to get comfortable with them, but like everything else about the artform it comes if you work hard on it (after getting comfortable with the basics.)

46&2

i think the best way is to just start in time signatures...just do a basic 4/4 rock beat and do a slow quarter note fill around ur toms..and get back on the 1...just keeping doing this at different speeds then change up the time signatures or beats.....its good to count out the fill while ur doing it when u first start.

Mistajohn

Welcome to drumming!

Let's begin by reprogramming your mind. You mention "being bad at fills." The firststep is to change your mind's perception of what you are capable of. Do not define yourself so conclusively. You NEW definition:

"I am getting better at fills...everyday."

See, you're better already.

Next step. Walking technique.

When you are walking to the store, or to school, or to where ever, your steps will create a rhythm. How convenient this is for you! It's a METRONOME that will allow you to make the most of your time in transition from one place to another.

While you walk, imagine that you are in that mythical dream world where everything is possible. You can be any drummer there has ever been. To start, think of your fav drummer, or even just be yourself...but remember, in the dreamworld, you can do ANYTHING you want (ever have a dream where you could fly? Same concept...only you are taking part in directing the action now).

So, as you walk, imagine the coolest, most fun fills you can. Think of easy fills. Fills with one hand. Odd beats that sound cool. As you do so, allow yourself to "sing the fills you like." with your mouth.

It's best if you are alone, as your friends who hear you might think you are crazy. But go ahead, and sing those fills. Use your imagination and have FUN!

Do this everyday for a month, at least 10 times a day. Let yourself be influenced by what you see! Interpret the world around you as drum fills.

Do that, and then apply those ideas to the kit. Be sure to relax and be in a good mood. Don't get nervouos when the time to play the fill arrives. Think of how pleasant your walks were.

In another six months, you will be amazed at your progress. And more than likely, your fills will develop a playful nature about them...but remember to relax and don't worry about anything.

And always, use you ears more than your hands...

Mista John

peripsy

SmellsLikeIan":37475h8z said:
All it takes is time and effort. Use a metronome and improvise over it, play along with CDs and the radio, jam down with other people you know. Six months isn't a long time in the evolution of one's musical abilities. You'll get better at it the more you play. There are honestly no shortcuts.

This the true.Nothing can help you now.You must play a lot to achieve this with your fills, there is no shortcut

racefan33

A good thing is to take a basic pattern like a paradidle RLRR LRLL and then apply it in different parts of your kit. Try every combination you can think of. Then try playing time and taking a fill with one of those combinations then another and so on.

break the prism

i once met a drummer who had been playing drum set for seven years and couldn't coordinate her fills to fit a song. she always just did a RLRLRLRL descending tom fill.

all you need to do is work with transitions in songs, play along to a metronome and improvise some beats and coordinate fills to the rhythm.