i'm a punk drummer

mute

New member
anyone else out there?

music is a hobby for me, so (at the risk of playing into the dumb stereotype of the punk musician) technique and correct practice is not my thing. i play for fun and learn by playing along to cds (i prefer albums to songs).

here are some that i enjoy now or have enjoyed. any suggestions for others?

Lagwagon - Hoss
Thrice - The Illusion of Safety
Inspection 12 - In Recovery
Rx Bandits - Progress
Unwritten Law - Blue Room
 

drummert2k

New member
mute":3qzj44wf said:
technique and correct practice is not my thing. i play for fun and learn by playing along to cds (i prefer albums to songs).
not trying to start a big long arguement here or anything but hearing stuff like this makes it really hard to respect you're point.

as someone who does take pride in playing my instrument, i know practice and technique are very important.

im not saying anyone who doesnt practice technique and rudiments and stuff sucks, im just saying have some pride in your instrument and learn the foundation. if you love playing the drums why would you not want to be the best you can be?

and maybe think about calling your self "a drummer in a punk band" rather than a "punk drummer". it kinda makes you sound really close minded and only able to play one style of music.

not trying to be rude or bash you but just take pride in what you do. work on good practicing and technique and posture and rudiments. you're only hurting yourself by not knowing them. and if you love drumming i dont understand why you would limit yourself so much with your knowledge.
 

mute

New member
ugh.

ok first. your wrong usage of "you're" vs. "your" makes it hard for me to respect your point. second, i wasn't making a point; i was just telling you guys how i play and looking for some suggestions on other albums to enjoy. however, i'll respond.

i do take pride in my music, so get off your horse. yes, i realize that rudiments and fundamentals are important but i don't care. i don't have time to fine tune my playing and, frankly, i don't have the motivation. as i said, music is my hobby, not a profession.

and i'm not in a punk band right now and neither is that the only style of music that i play, so i'll define myself, thanks. i'm new here and i appreciate the discussions here, but i have felt that they've been lopsided on a few things, the two biggest being double-kicks and how best to jack yourself off through the drums. I was just trying to start a different conversation about enjoying music and less about what i can do and how much better.
 

drummert2k

New member
mute":gibpnb16 said:
ugh.

ok first. your wrong usage of "you're" vs. "your" makes it hard for me to respect your point.
great, i see this thread will be going nowhere. seems like im dealing with a middleschooler who is mad because the band teacher wont let them play rimshots in orchestra band.

sorry if i miss spelled anything. feel free to call me out on spelling again.
 

mute

New member
wah wah. thanks for stopping by, t2k.

anyway, the point of the thread is for good punk albums to play to, not lectures. if there are no punk drummers, maybe it is going nowhere.
 

drummert2k

New member
im gonna keep my eye on this one. sounds like it might get interesting. i doubt anyone will learn anything from it but going by the level of immaturity in his responses this just might turn into one of those 13 page long threads
 

screamkevin

New member
Anything by Rancid, Bouncing Souls, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Velvet Underground, The Voidoids, MC5, Pere Ubu, New York Dolls, The Stranglers, X, Black Flag, Middle Class, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, Dead Milkmen, Dead Kennedys, Husker Du, Agnostic Front, The Cro-Mags, Subhumans, The Minutemen, Sonic Youth, and Fugazi. That should get you started.

Just remember that bands like Sum 41, Good Charlotte, and that ilk are NOT punk. They are pop wannabes.
 

mute

New member
i couldn't agree more, kevin (about bands like sum41, good charlotte, etc). however, i do enjoy playing along with some of blink-182's albums, even after they ditched their first drummer. i also learned the drums mostly by playing to dookie. not really punk, but fun stuff and good for beginners.

also, good call on the pere ubu!

you seem to like the old-school, straight up punk. while i love all or most of those bands and that style, i personally prefer to play to more melodic stuff; i generally play a lot of "skate-punk."

out of those bands, do you play to any particular albums? i've played to fresh fruit for rotting veggies. that's pretty fun.
 

screamkevin

New member
My personal list of punk required practicing/shedding albums:

1. "A Diamond Hidden in the Mouth of a Corpse" - Husker Du (1985)
2. "Tie One On!" - Bouncing Souls (1998)
3. "New Picnic Time" - Pere Ubu (1979)
4. "Complete Discography" - Minor Threat (1990)
5. "Double Nickels On The Dime" - The Minutemen (1990)
6. "Damaged" - Black Flag (1981)
7. "New York Dolls" - New York Dolls (1973)
8. "Kick Out The Jams" - MC5 (1969)
9. "White Light/White Heat" - The Velvet Underground (1968)
10. "Steady Diet Of Nothing" - Fugazi (1991)
 

Rockula!

New member
No one can touch Earl Hudson from the Bad Brains!
Sorry, any time you put the word "pop" in front of the word "punk" it's a double negative like saying "irregardless"

Oh Yeah

YOU GUYS ARE DOODY HEADS!!!!
 

mute

New member
i never really play to straight-ahead punk like that, but i'll give some of those a try. thanks kevin!

here's a couple other new one's i've been hitting up:

a wilhelm scream - ruiner
rise against - revolutions per minute
avenged sevenfold - sounding the seventh trumpet (just wetting my feet. never used a double kick before)
NoFX - the decline
 

ChrisNichols

New member
Whoa, settle it down a bit, mute. He's just giving you a couple suggestions is all. And I personally agree with him, it is important to learn your technique and all that jazz as well as having fun with it and playing actual songs.

Anyway, as for punk, my personal favourite has to be the Clash. And the drums are pretty fun to play along to.
 

m

New member
Rockula!":130vevi5 said:
No one can touch Earl Hudson from the Bad Brains!
thank you!
that, to me, is 'punk drumming.'

I Against I should be required listening for any band, no matter what genre.
Those gentlemen were pioneers.

'punk' is a tough term find a consensus on, I find. Every 10 years or so it seems to mean something else.

I also agree with the Fugazi recommendation, that is some groove-based funkypunk there.
 

mute

New member
hey chris, i'm actually quite settled, thanks. i agree with you that technique can be important and all. i appreciate the advice that people give here and i have asked and will probably ask for it. this wasn't the thread for a paternalistic, "don't box yourself in" speech, though. didn't intend to hurt the poor guy's feelings.

couldn't agree more about the clash! an old band of mine used to cover a couple of their songs. there is great drum stuff there! it's been awhile. i should revisit them.

i also agree, m, that punk is not easy to nail down. that's what this discussion is for! i haven't heard i against i. i will look into them. thanks!
 

m

New member
mute":1hibfnci said:
hey chris, i'm actually quite settled, thanks. i agree with you that technique can be important and all. i appreciate the advice that people give here and i have asked and will probably ask for it. this wasn't the thread for a paternalistic, "don't box yourself in" speech, though. didn't intend to hurt the poor guy's feelings.


i also agree, m, that punk is not easy to nail down. that's what this discussion is for! i haven't heard i against i. i will look into them. thanks!
I played in a 'hardcore,' or 'punk' band in my earlier days, I don't know what you'd really call it these days- and I'm out of the loop as to what's authentic these days, but I listen to what I like, no matter what style it falls under. I won't say I like every style of music, but I've still got a place in me for punk. :)

and to aid in your search, "I against I" is the name of Bad Brains' seminal album. They're earlier stuff was probably more 'punk,' technically, but dang if I against I isn't a masterpiece for the ages, whatever style it may really fall under-
 

Howepirate

New member
screamkevin":863gxxs4 said:
Anything by Rancid, Bouncing Souls, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Velvet Underground, The Voidoids, MC5, Pere Ubu, New York Dolls, The Stranglers, X, Black Flag, Middle Class, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, Dead Milkmen, Dead Kennedys, Husker Du, Agnostic Front, The Cro-Mags, Subhumans, The Minutemen, Sonic Youth, and Fugazi. That should get you started.

Just remember that bands like Sum 41, Good Charlotte, and that ilk are NOT punk. They are pop wannabes.
Byah ... Amen!
 

mute

New member
m":3ftjsys5 said:
I played in a 'hardcore,' or 'punk' band in my earlier days, I don't know what you'd really call it these days- and I'm out of the loop as to what's authentic these days, but I listen to what I like, no matter what style it falls under. I won't say I like every style of music, but I've still got a place in me for punk. :)

and to aid in your search, "I against I" is the name of Bad Brains' seminal album. They're earlier stuff was probably more 'punk,' technically, but dang if I against I isn't a masterpiece for the ages, whatever style it may really fall under-
oh, it's an album. i've heard some bad brains but not much. i'll look for that album. thanks again!
 

break the prism

New member
all of Anti-Flag's albums have decent drums. Pat Thetic is a pretty underrated drummer.

i still think you should try to find other music to play along to, even if it's only every once in a while.

and don't listen to the people that say rudiments are everything. half of the world's most influential drummers can only remember half of the "neccessary" rudiments. if you have soul in your playing, then you're a good drummer.
 

PatternsInTheIvy

New member
Absolutely EVERYTHING that has been said in this thread is a horrible, terrible, and EVIL LIE!!! NO ONE LOOK HERE!!! YOUR EYES WILL EXPLODE!!
 

Benhamin

New member
i hope somebody said the casualites.
if not this thread is pointless
i think a punk beat it easy
but fills and making it sound good
its just as much of a challenge as anyother music
now bassist that want play punk
they have an uphill battle
 
Top