im a drummer therefore i must be rich and spoilt ?

phil-drummer

has anyone ever had these kind of remarks of non drummers, it annoys me when ppl say " oh your spoilt cause you hav a big expensive drum kit "
or " your family's rich " , well im not spoilt n my family is nt rich , i just like to play drums.

any one ever get these naive comments ?

Yeah, I get those comments too. It gets annoying. My usual reply was "No, I'm not spoiled, but drums are my life so I work my ass off at crap jobs to be able to afford the kind of equipment I want", but I got sick of saying all that lol. My reply to that now is "Yeah, I'm real spoiled" coupled with an eye roll lol.

Eiren

I think in England it can be very true, to be honest. It's very hard to find a place to play drums in England, as everything is so squashed and everyone has to live so close together. So to live in a place that is far away enough from neighbours, you need a fair bit of money (in general, obviously that doesn't apply to all).

Plus drumming is NOT cheap :lol:

screamBRYAN

I've never recieved that comment, because everybody knows how little money my family has. My sister and her boyfriend bought me the kit for christmas, by now I would've given up all hope on ever getting my drums until I was 20. The day somebody calls me spoilt and rich, I'll laugh in their face and invite them to chill in my cramped little apartment sometime...

wombat_drums

I wish i was rich and spoiled! wouldnt of had to work my arse off as much to get a decent kit. My response to that is "no, imagine how big it would be if i was."

TheYardstick

Ya, my family has a bunch of money, but they never use it. I had to work to get my drumset and I have to get my own money for any extras I want for the set.

pilsnerfan

I have three kids from three different moms, child support ain't cheap (although i def do not mind paying that bill, obviously), and yet, i own a drum kit....i most certainly am not rich, or spoiled, but i am certainly blessed with beautiful children and sweet friggen hobby...i'm happiest when i can sit at my kit with my son and let him bang away....

PatternsInTheIvy

I live in Hawaii and I own a nice set. I get those comments all the time. I also invite them to come to live in my house for a bit. There opinions will be revised and reiterated. Hehe

Flatliner

I always got the opposite in my younger school days since the majority of the musicians I hung out with played classical instruments and didn't realize how much drums can cost be the time you add everything needed to play them.

Kustom56Merc

Actually England has a lot of country side to it where most of the concentration of the population is in London. As well as here in the U.S. it is hard play accoustic drums in places such as down town LA, and NYC. London is no where near as populated as U.S. major cities, and not to mention have some of the best music schools.

Eiren

Kustom56Merc":1ep4eu3a said:
Actually England has a lot of country side to it where most of the concentration of the population is in London. As well as here in the U.S. it is hard play accoustic drums in places such as down town LA, and NYC. London is no where near as populated as U.S. major cities, and not to mention have some of the best music schools.
If you can find a place in London, where you can practice drums, that you don't have to pay a fortune to rent or buy... then you're a talented guy.

As far as lots of country side goes... the houses with lots of space, cost lots of money. Houses in the UK are generally tiny. I've been to house in the USA, and even in the projects they have a lot of space. Houses in the UK are mostly terraced or semi-detached.

We have a lot of people living in a very limited space. So it's very hard to be able to find a good home in which you can practice without annoying your neighbours.

blackreign

I don't get comments about being spoiled about my drum kit...
but when they see that my basement is a fairly good recording studio they make the obvious "your parents are rich and spoil you" comment, until I tell them that Im completely broke, and still paying off the studio... everything (including the amps, and instruments sans a few guitars) is mine, that I spent years to be able to afford... kind of... they still try to convince me that im spoiled though...

its not my fault that I invest every penny into music, now if I could just afford a new drum kit I would be incredibly happy... also, im almost debt free, so that could be soon.

I love how people assume musicians are spoiled by their parents, even if your older, and have your own house...