If you had to choose...

FatherTime

If you had to choose one kit from this list, what would it be?

Mapex Saturn
Pearl MCX
Tama Starclassic birch/bubinga
Gretsch renown maple

I'm asking because I have recently sold a bunch of toys and I'm a firm believer that toy money should stay with toys whenever possible. That said I'm looking to spend $2000- $2500 and I really don't need hardware.

I'm looking for a two up two down configuration and I prefer a virgin BD but that's not a deal killer. I play classic rock and some heavier stuff. Like Tool or disturbed or Godsmack.

I know at this level it's a coin toss and comes down to personal preference. I just thought I'd get some other opinions.

PDP9000

I think you should get the Tama Starclassic birch/bubinga set it caught
my eye in the gitar center and it sounded really good and its worth the
money.

drummerduba

i think i will be the only one to say Mapex Saturn. Think of the low end you will be able to achieve with the walnut plies!!! 8)

FatherTime

The B/B starclassic is a definate contender again I'm concerned with resale value... any thoughts. Kind of soon to tell if it will be a new standard or a flash in the pan.

Timekeep69":3suh83vn said:
The Bubinga kits have caught my eye.

If you're interested, I could probably make you something.
Yeah well I'm a bit of a puss whn it comes to steping outside the mainstream. Not without reason. My satisfaction span is notoriously short. So there is no doubt when I buy that I will be reselling at some point. The point is I have to keep in mind ease of resale and resale value. 'By all accounts a kit from you would be stellar, but when I turn stuff over I want it to be quick. The big names give that warm fuzzy that makes that happen.

On the other hand, depending where I end up here I may hit you up on that bubinga or walnut snare we talked about. :D

FatherTime

drummerduba":1ixw7b1r said:
i think i will be the only one to say Mapex Saturn. Think of the low end you will be able to achieve with the walnut plies!!! 8)
And yeah I agree. I've actually touched the Saturn with ec2 heads and it was a monster. Plus I absolutely love that Laser Canary color.

That Mapex is really the one I keep comparing everything else to.

Empyrean Drums

For me it's between the Mapex and the Tama, slightly in favor of the Mapex

Choose, but choose wisely--for the right kit will grant you ever-lasting licks, while the wrong one will take it from you
:)

SGarrett

Given your playing and resale criteria, I'd go for the Pearl. First, they sound killer. Second, we all know Pearl's reputation. And third, Masters maple kits almost always have good resale value because of 1 and 2.

Aside from that, I'd go with the Gretsch. While not quite as big a name in today's mainstream market, they're very popular with engineers so you have a good resale value there.

rufus4dagruv

If Timekeep can do something for you in your price range, that would be my first suggestion.

If resale value is a major concern, then the Pearl is a very logical choice. I have not played or heard the Tama b/b, but I'm sure they're not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I have a set of Renown maples and I have been very pleased with them.

mjs4878

i just bought the Gretsch renown maple a few days ago and i put ec2's on it and i love it. Best sounding kit ive played.

ThePloughman

If resale value is a consideration, I would shop used. Find something that suits your current fancy, and which can be offed with a higher retention pecentage in a year or two. Because otherwise, if you are buying knowing that you WILL sell at some not so distant future time, all you are doing is funding the respective manufacturers marketing program hype.

xdoseonex

I have a renown maple and its an amazing kit. But i want a starclassic bubinga kit so bad i would sell my soul for one.

AmnestysLowEnd

Man all are such nice kits! I have always loved Pearl since I started 7 yrs ago but I do love the starclassic B/B and it was so nice. The saturn is very cool esp with the walnut so really your not gooing to lose out with your chocies they will all sell well. And if you want to play it save maple is the standard for some reason.

FatherTime

xdoseonex":2f4okeq7 said:
I have a renown maple and its an amazing kit. But i want a starclassic bubinga kit so bad i would sell my soul for one.
Really?? Call me at 666-7734 :twisted: