Ideas for Snare

!CALEB!

Well I have a 14X6 pdp MXR snare and it sounded bad so I recut the edges and it sounds better, but I've been thinking about cutting the shell in half and buying a peice of 2" acrylic and use it to make a 14X8 Hybrid. I would sand off he ebony stain and most likely wrap it and buy some nice tube lugs. I've done my of research and know how to do it and my friend has most of the equipment I need to do this.

So do you think this is a good idea. any tips or comments

!CALEB!

I was going to get the lugs from drum foundry and I'm decicing between gold N times or RCI for the acrylic

!CALEB!

It shouldn't be that hard. I would need to cut the shell in half, Use an epoxy resin as well as create a step or rebate in the two shell sections for them to overlap on and join the shells, then wait for the epoxy to dry, then put the lugs on.

Mitchell I was going to wrap the 2 wood sections

Mitchell?

!CALEB!":3ia5rzjo said:
It shouldn't be that hard. I would need to cut the shell in half, Use an epoxy resin as well as create a step or rebate in the two shell sections for them to overlap on and join the shells, then wait for the epoxy to dry, then put the lugs on.

Mitchell I was going to wrap the 2 wood sections
Ahh, I see. That is acceptable.

Cheerful-Bear

Or you could get custom Ego tube lugs that have a spot in the middle of the lug to hold the acrylic shell. So pretty much you have to drill 3 holes then.

!CALEB!

Cheerful-Bear":36z5f5fi said:
Or you could get custom Ego tube lugs that have a spot in the middle of the lug to hold the acrylic shell. So pretty much you have to drill 3 holes then.
Yeah, I'd rather not.

A)I don't think they can even make those
B)It wouldn't hold well enough
C)And it would look lame

Cheerful-Bear

A)I've seen pictures of a snare like that and it looks amazing, I'm just not good at descripting
B)Sure it would hold it. How do you think split-shell snares work?
C)You're definition of lame must be different than mine

(Wow! This is a very Zen-influenced thing I just said!)

Timekeep69

!CALEB!":f1nuy10c said:
That's exactly what you do.

Cheerful-Bear

Timekeep69":31upo9qm said:
!CALEB!":31upo9qm said:
You can really do it both ways. Whatever works for you. I'd just rather never put epoxy on my drums. That's just me.

Mitchell?

Cheerful-Bear":3hfs89gt said:
Timekeep69":3hfs89gt said:
!CALEB!":3hfs89gt said:
You can really do it both ways. Whatever works for you. I'd just rather never put epoxy on my drums. That's just me.
Except for that layer in between each ply of wood... :)

zen_drummer

Mitchell?":22ompjq7 said:
Cheerful-Bear":22ompjq7 said:
Timekeep69":22ompjq7 said:
!CALEB!":22ompjq7 said:
Except for that layer in between each ply of wood... :)
And that he's acting like an expert and he's made two freaking drums, neither of which were a hybrid, so he's talking out of his @ss

Kaos

The 60 min epoxy works really well to put the pieces of shell together. As for acrylic shells I would go with the RCI shell becouse they don't use the ugly seam tab. Thats my preferance anyway. I usually use a 45 degree angle to join the pieces it gives maximum glueing surface. I've got one in the shop now that I'm working on Ill try and get some pics up.

kplante069

Cheerful-Bear":ghei1loq said:
Timekeep69":ghei1loq said:
!CALEB!":ghei1loq said:
WOW! Trying to contradict Timekeep! That's some balls!!!

zen_drummer

kplante069":3f1g3o69 said:
Cheerful-Bear":3f1g3o69 said:
Timekeep69":3f1g3o69 said:
!CALEB!":3f1g3o69 said:
WOW! Trying to contradict Timekeep! That's some balls!!!
have you seen his most recent signature line? The little punk has balls as big as church bells.

Timekeep69

I'm thinking someone might need a vacation. I don't mind him acting stupid but now he's getting downright disrespectful. Am I alone in this?