Ideal Drummer's Vehicle?

woodshed

...I'm looking for a new car/suv to transport the kit around town...looking for some suggestions and drummer reviews...

...looking for something just large enough for a 6-pc (just to be safe) and a co-pilot...

...also preferably one that gets half-way decent fuel economy...

...reliability, price/value, etc. are also factors here to some extent (will probably buy "slightly used" '06 or '07, but would still consider as old as '02)...

...a small suv is fine, but obviously the above excludes some huge Hummer/Expidition, etc....

...right now, considering a few like the Scion xB (the 'mighty toaster' as my gf likes to call it) and the Chevy HHR (the PT look-alike), but I also like the Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav 4, Honda Element, Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, etc...

...any ideas and/or first-hand opionions??

(fwiw, had a '98 Saturn wagon w/ 133k that just died en route to a gig during rush-hour...engine is toast.) :x

Thanks,

Dominic

clay_wise

I just found the perfect vehicle! It's a Kia Rio hatchback. It's got incledible gas mileage (28 to 29mpg even when full of drums), plenty of space to hold a drum kit, and it still looks pretty sporty with it's sleek design. Best of all, since it's Kia, it's really really cheap, and good quality. I plan on having cars like this until I become successful enough to buy Porsches and Jaguars lol!

The Alien Drummer

I have a suburban and a small mazda wagon, both will hold my kit. HOWEVER, if you are playing alot then I would suggest buying a trailer and keeping your gig kit in it. It's nice when you're not loading and unloading everytime at home and also you don't have to worry about space at home to store it.

infiznitch

I currently drive a 93' ford taurus wagon with 158k plus. Lately I've been looking into the Dodge Magnum. 21 - 30mpg on a 5.7litre Hemi... can't beat that. Plus the interior is sick... you'd easily hold your entire kit. Even if those two things don't catch your eye, the looks will. I gotta say this car looks better than any SUV i've seen on the road! anyway do some research for yourself and see what you think!

countb1ah

I have a Toyota Matrix that holds my 7 piece with bags and hardware nicely. It also gets pretty good gas mileage and maintenance is pretty cheap too.

ombudsman

My Toyota highlander is great. I put a 7pc (double kick) in there with ease. However, most of my kits have fit in small economy cars. I would recommend some soft cases if you are going to go this route.

mouse

The Alien Drummer":gppqrb95 said:
I have a suburban and a small mazda wagon, both will hold my kit. HOWEVER, if you are playing alot then I would suggest buying a trailer and keeping your gig kit in it. It's nice when you're not loading and unloading everytime at home and also you don't have to worry about space at home to store it.
be careful with leaving your kit in there though! I've got a Fiat Ducato medium wheel-based van and use to leave my kit in it.

Until some prick decided to try and break into it. Luckily they failed.

So started taking the gear out everytime to be sure.

They only went and tried to break into it again the other week. Almost want them to succeed as it's as empty as anything inside- lmao!

Still, they're awful burglers as they still haven't managed it. Keep damaging the locks on the van though :cry:

Sarah x

Spydr2000

I got a mrs spyder which totally sucks because you can't haul nothing in it. And I use 26" kick drums.

I'm looking for a used mini van just to carry my drums in.

Dillface

I drive a 99 Dodge Caravan and it's incredible. I recommend it :) highly.
Tons of room in the back, and a seat for your girl in the front :D

blackreign

I can't afford a car so I bum rides from my parents...

I inherited a mini van (dodge caravan) but unfortunatly Im lazy and still after 4 years of putting it off, havn't gone to get my license...

Funny thing is I drive heavy machinery at work...
How I work there without a license, I have no clue...

I drive a 2000 Chevy Silverado with a hard cover on the back, and it's perfect for hauling my drums. Also the cover locks, so it's great when my band plays first and I want to hang around to see the other bands that are playing. I just put my drums in the back and lock it.

screamkevin

What's an ideal drummer's vehicle...

One that goes from Point A to Point B safely.

*Bad-dah BING*

Okay, seriously, my band just uses a trailer. But, I can haul a 6-piece kit safely in my 1996 Nissan Altima. Great car, great gas mileage, room to spare, and it's paid for. Sure, dudes driving their Escalades make fun of my car. But it's paid for in full, and I'd rather have that as my status than a car payment.

Oh, and I do drool over the Dodge Magnum.

rockdrummer2063

i drive a huge 1997 pontiac bonneville. i can fit the entire drum set (6 piece) in my trunk minus the bass drum and a couple of stands. then the bass goes in the back seat along with and the 2 other stands(and i have 6 cymbals, which=a lot of stands). then you can still fit a person in the fron and one in the back

KorySlow

2005 Chevy Colorado here. With Rhino liner and a sealed bed lid. Fits the band's guitar and bass amps, and my kit. Gas Mileage 25 to 30 as it is a 4 cyl. Vortek. Stylish plenty of room. Considered a mid-size pickup. Love it very reliable.

quikstang2

I had great results with my Ford Focus wagon but I wanted a RWD and frame rails so I traded it for a four cylinder Ford Ranger 6' bed with the extedned cab and I get better mileage too.
The Focus would easily fit a 6 piece. I also wanted more room for my 10 piece and other band gear.

Similar platforms:
Focus = Volvo V50 = Mazda3 and looks darn close to the Suzuki wagon.
Ranger = Mazda B series = Mazda Navajo = Ford Explorer up to 2001 for the 4 door and 2003 for the Sport.

Any compact pick up would work, but the Rangers get the best mileage.