I wish I had done this 5 years ago!!!

Multibomber

So I started playing with a good friend of mine who is a really good blues rock guitarist... really really good. I play metal, thats what I do, thats how I roll. I've been learning Gospel Drumming because it kicks fucking ass! Playing with someone who plays way different stuff than me has forced me to think a little different, and forced him to think a little different. And here's what I've learned:

1. I didnt realized how many different beats I could play. I'm playing stuff I never dreamed I could play just 3 weeks ago!
2. I didnt realize that coordination from one style would translate so well into coordination into another style. As I've become better at playing blues rock with some Gospel chops, my metal playing has gone through the freaking roof! Seriously, I've gone from having a wimpy left hand to being able to play open-handed pretty damn well in a very short period of time.
3. I wish I would have started playing completely different styles of music a long time ago. I've found a way to make it fun, and although I probably would never listen to the kind of music we're playing, I am thoroughly enjoying playing it... maybe its cuz I play blues rock a little "spicy."

Thoughts??

Alan_

in general, I agree, but it depends on what your focus is. look at andres segovia. for some people, diversity works to their advantage. for others, distilling down a very narrowly-focused style creates something awesome. I'm too ADD to just play one style myself, and I do think it's worked well in helping to create something unique.

johnny nobody

IT SEEMS TO APPLY TO song writing also. Sometimes I write a tune, lyrics&music, in a style I generally do not ID with, it just comes out that way. It still improves my performance. Don't let the IMAGE of a music style force you to make a life style out of it. Just like life, it all fades away and leaves you in vanity. Enjoy diversity while you can.

Mitchell?

Versatility is a great thing.

The more you get comfortable with a style, the more you get comfortable in any style, for me atleast.

AKdrum

I have no choice but to try to play everything cause here we got one bad ass jazz guy, two bad ass rock guys, three drunken punk guys, and 5000000 kids that want to be killswitch engage and 3000000 kids that want to be a mix of cannibal corpse and and witchblade. and i dont really like cannibal corpse and i dont want to be in killswitch haha.

Joezeppi

Gospel drummers are the shite they do great linear fills lightning fast and very clean. I find it has only helped me to be able to play different styles as it challenges me more than the normal music I play.
However I also agree with Alan's theory that sometimes narrowing down and focusing on one particular style/rhythm/genre can help you refine and create something more "original". Too many cooks spoil the stew as they say and sometimes I believe this can apply to music as well when it comes to styles. Think about some of the best musicians and most inspirations figures of our time, they weren't always the biggest technical masters of their instruments.
A guy who can play anything from classical guitar, to satriani, to malmsteen is a very talented, technical musician. But at the same time in a way it hinders his ability to be original and creative because he's all over the place and he has so many influences pointing him in so many directions. Where as a guy who can play mostly bar chords is forced to be more creative within his means so he has to work harder therefore more of his emphasis is on writing...and let's face it, the writing is really what sells first and foremost.

Davo-London

I would say that in the early phase you should check out as many genres as possible. But that doesn't stop you from micro-exploration of your favorite genre.

In my case, after 4 years tuition, I realised I needed a break and I needed to come up with my style of drumming etc.

That's what I've been doing since.

Davo