I notice alot of.........

Bowmanator

people asking whats good in bad in the drum spectrum. I have some 2 cents that might help. I worked at guitar center for a year and a half in fountain valley CA, and I learned to look for things in drum kits most drummer dont know about and I saved several people from buying a P.O.S. by making them aware. such the quality of the actual wood used in the kit theyre looking at, the tom mounting, reinforcment rings, and paint job which makes a HUGE difference obviously and subtly.

Disclaimer: this all opinion and my conclusions are drawn from my experience, feel free to agree to disagree, im just sharing stories.

Pearl is borderline garbage with their inconsistency......IMHO of course (everyones entitled), yamaha, DW, and Sonor, best 3 companies around. I had PACIFIC maple kits in the store that had better tone that the pearl masters maple, honestly. The reference are OK and sound hearty, cool idea in shell composition, but not extraordinary, especially for the price (4k w/o hardware for a 5 piece no snare). The only pearl kit I would play would be the masters studio, they seem to always sound good.

Ive looked at some of the pearl kits shells very closesly and could see how porous the shell plys were, (meaning they were not as solid, but brittle if you can imagine, which can eventually cause rattles and have no sustain or warmth). disgusting for a 2000 drum kit.

Yamaha is the best bang for the buck by far, especially the Oak customs and the Birch Customs, DW is the best sounding, just steep on the pocket book and hard to justify with 7 piece yamaha maple kits costing less that 5 piece DW maple kits, but Im glad I went the extra bill to get the deedubs, theyre like buying a mercedes benz, not about what you spend, but what you get. Same goes with Sonor kits. Gretsch is always great, their reknown maples are awesome, and the USA maples are fantastic, also very expensive.

Tama's starclassic range is great, but I saw some kits where the shells were splitting, but it was most likely due to poor care and transport. The performers sound fabulous, as I used to have a 5 piece before my DW's, they sound just as good as the maple kits, which is why go with yamaha maple before Tama maple.The Tama maples have gnarley attack, but not warmth or body to them, hard to get different sounds out of them. The Bubinga kits are in a class of their own OMG,,, f**kin amazing sound.
Pork Pie, always a best bet, you find a good deal on a prok pie kit in stock, take it. Ive met the owner Bill on several occasions, awesome drum maker. open, warm and clear toms, much like yamahas, and the kicks kick a55.

snares however, theyre a mystery,

every company makes good ones and bad ones
the good:
Pearl Chad Smith - Dennis Chambers - Ultracast Aluminum

DW: anything but the black brass w/black hardware you see on ebay. Edge is #1, Bronze #2, Solid maple #3 (any size), the 5x14 10+6 ply are kind of inconsistent, hard to get a good tune sometimes. I have a 13x6 which I love to death, but havent found one that i could get to sound like it.

Yamaha: STEVE JORDAN SIGNATURE!! THE BEST MAPLE SNARE I KNOW OF, maple cust in any size ,7x14 birch,7x14 brass or copper. Akira Jimbo Signature is also a highly desirable piece.

Tama: 6.5 x14 bell brass, 8x14 G-maple or Bronze, any of the new warlords, played them at NAMM 07', they rock! 6.5x14 Starclassic Maple

Gretsch 5x14 maple or 5x14 nickle steel

Noble and Cooley: 5.5 x14 aluminum (THE BEST ALL AROUND), if you can find a 7x14 solid maple, you cant go wrong.

Pork Pie: 7x13 little squiler, 7x13 piglite or 6x14 piglite, and 10
ply maple they make

never impressed with an OCDP vent or spaun..........EVER
they seem to be just gimmicks with big holes and flames and neon green..and.....yeah..whatever.

Fibes snare are sexy as well, just hard to find.

TEMPUS and ROCKET SHELLS: do not fear synthetic drum shells like carbon fiber or fiberglass, I feared them until i played an entire kit. They sound BEAUTIFUL. perfectly round and rival anything out there. You see one, play it, give it a try, you might like them. Im saving my pennies to get a tempus 1/2 carbon 1/2 fiberglass 8x14 snare.

cymbals........no comment, its alllllll up to you.

my 2 cents of drum retail experience

fire away with your responses, im sure alot of you will argue otherwise with my comments.

AJB

justinbetz

I agree with alot that you've said here....although I havent had the oppurtunity to play quite as many kits as you have. I've had problems in the past finding a snare that I loved until I recently bought the new line from TAMA-Metalworks. The 14x5 1/2 sounds incredible. Nice body and solid sound.

anavrinIV

i have a vented spaun and it may be your opinion that theyre no good but i love it. im looking for a loud, dry crack with a little depth and i get exactly what i want from my spaun. gimick or not, it works for me.

as far as dw goes, their whole line must be inconsistent by your description. i played a dw set furnished with remo emperor heads and it sounded like garbage compared to the pearl session customs with stock heads sitting right next to it. i am most definately a fan of brich over maple (except for in snares) but the difference was rediculous, especially considering that the pearl was a bigger set for easily less than half of the dws. this is all my opinion and i dont expect you to agree...but all these opinions were made in a guitar center where i do all my shopping. i agree that yamahas are amazing though...their birch custom absolutes are some of the best drums ive played (right up there with pearl reference)

Bowmanator

anavrinIV":15os2dol said:
i have a vented spaun and it may be your opinion that theyre no good but i love it. im looking for a loud, dry crack with a little depth and i get exactly what i want from my spaun. gimick or not, it works for me.

as far as dw goes, their whole line must be inconsistent by your description. i played a dw set furnished with remo emperor heads and it sounded like garbage compared to the pearl session customs with stock heads sitting right next to it. i am most definately a fan of brich over maple (except for in snares) but the difference was rediculous, especially considering that the pearl was a bigger set for easily less than half of the dws. this is all my opinion and i dont expect you to agree...but all these opinions were made in a guitar center where i do all my shopping. i agree that yamahas are amazing though...their birch custom absolutes are some of the best drums ive played (right up there with pearl reference)

I belive there are inconsistencies everywhere, theyre inevitable for each company. Emporer heads are terrible, i had a set that i beat through in 1/3 of the time of evans and aquarian, it was strange to me. Iv seriously had coated ambassadors last longer. Again inconsistencies. The DW with those heads could have had been a double whammy, or the kit alone, (or heads alone) were a specimen of this theory.
Could just have been poor tuning.
Im leaning more toward birch as well, im looking at a birch custom kit on ebay that would just work so well in my living room. Its hard to resist.

The session customs sound great right out of the box because of the pinstripe style heads they come with for a low end warm sound. put coated 1 plys and theyre poopy, the shells are too thick and the edges are terrible. Very 1 dimesional, but they sell because of it, the pearl rep told me this himslef, those are in the market to sell quick and build the brand. They have so many things to change on those kits, the paint chips away in huge chunks if they get scratched, the bass drum claws have no gaskets, so they cut right into the hoops, and the tom mount on the kick is weak, especially for two thick shelled toms. They make these adjustments and cut better edges, thos kits would be killer!

As for the spuan im assuming you have either the 13'' coke bottle vented snare or he 14x5 super thick clear one. The 13'' coke botle actually sounds good and crispy , especially for reggae and pop. There was an acrylic maple hybrid that fell apart completely, and 3 different maple snares where the wrap actually came off as we took it out of the box, just poor buid quality. Hence my opinion.

Now the OCDP stuff is blatantly overpriced and overated. They have creativity in their drums, but lost the concept of a good sounding drum in the mayhem of paint jobs, travis barker sandblasted acrylic kits, hybrids and so forth.

anavrinIV

Bowmanator":3nnk6sec said:
As for the spuan im assuming you have either the 13'' coke bottle vented snare or he 14x5 super thick clear one. The 13'' coke botle actually sounds good and crispy , especially for reggae and pop. There was an acrylic maple hybrid that fell apart completely, and 3 different maple snares where the wrap actually came off as we took it out of the box, just poor buid quality. Hence my opinion.
i actually have a 6x14 black gloss laquer maple, not an acrylic. i do really like the cokebottle and would easily buy one if i was looking for a new snare now but i like 14" snares a little more and mine is perfect for me. i understand that we have different opinions but for about 8 months this snare has given me no problems at all and you have to also understand that i came up from a swingstar snare, so no matter what i got it was a huge upgrade.

i agree that there are inconsistencies everywhere but i go by what my ears tell me and if i hear a $1300 set with stock heads sound better than the $5000 set with upgraded heads next to it, im going with what i heard that time. i havnet used all head combinations on all drums but i figure if those drums sounded good then, theyd sound good if i put on coated g2s and tuned them right. there are lots of people who adore dws but im not one of them. if you got a good set from them and can tune them well, more power to you.