i NEVER knew this about tom tuning.

rundylanrunn

i've always mounted my rack tom off the cymbal stand with a clamp, the other day i got a new snare stand so i decided to play around with using the old one to hold the tom.

if you tighten the stand around the bottom of the tom at ALL, the intonation of the drum goes to crap. i thought i was going crazy for a while, it was frustrating. now i know not to tighten it down that much.

bapudi

ha you sat there and got that thing super tight didnt you.

on my toms i get it lil past finger tight.

Steaky

I never do my snare up very tight on the stand. I don't like the pressure on the bottom hoop. Also it's handy to pop the drum straight out and into the case at the end of the gig as part of my teardown and go plan.

xdoseonex

do you think it has the same effect whe you tighten the stand around a snare? my snare is REALLY tight in the basket

SGarrett

xdoseonex":1ymfdmj7 said:
do you think it has the same effect whe you tighten the stand around a snare? my snare is REALLY tight in the basket
It does, actually.

My basket's tight enough that I can pick the snare and stand up as one if I need to but there's still a fair amount of play.

Brother_Bong

xdoseonex said:
do you think it has the same effect whe you tighten the stand around a snare? my snare is REALLY tight in the basket[/quote
+1. I also set it in so the plastic strips that hold my snare belt is pinched by one of the three arms.

sefalik

Yea, I like to keep anything on my snare stands as loose as possible. Snare or tom, the tighter it is, the more "choked" the drum will sound. Of course, you can't have it so loose the dum wobbles around either, just find the happy medium. And it's that's still not good enough, get some suspension mounts. ;)

drumur

I knew about this phenomenon :)

The Pearl Eliminator snare stand is really good for toms.
You can set the size basket by inches with a drum key. It actually has a ruler engraved into all the sides.

rundylanrunn

i tighten my snare stand down enough to pick it up as one, but i think my snare sounds great. i guess it's not as big of a deal if the snare is choked.

i played my first show using the tom on a stand instead of mounting it last night. i really liked it, because i'm ocd about my tom being completly flat, it took 2 seconds to achieve that instead of longer like it usually takes me to adjust the mounting arm.

SGarrett

rundylanrunn":35cs3lsd said:
i tighten my snare stand down enough to pick it up as one, but i think my snare sounds great. i guess it's not as big of a deal if the snare is choked.

i played my first show using the tom on a stand instead of mounting it last night. i really liked it, because i'm ocd about my tom being completly flat, it took 2 seconds to achieve that instead of longer like it usually takes me to adjust the mounting arm.
Try unchocking the snare and see what a difference it makes. :)

xdoseonex

SGarrett":3p8no3x3 said:
rundylanrunn":3p8no3x3 said:

i will try that as well. on my ecx kit i have my snare mounted off the hihat stand. but I'm not drilling into my '68 supraphonic and i cant find a 10 lug RIMS mount

SGarrett

xdoseonex":z71y8qvz said:
SGarrett":z71y8qvz said:
rundylanrunn":z71y8qvz said:

i will try that as well. on my ecx kit i have my snare mounted off the hihat stand. but I'm not drilling into my '68 supraphonic and i cant find a 10 lug RIMS mount
Is that one in your avatar? That's an interesting setup. What kind of mounting do you use? Maybe a Pearl Optimount would work? Don't know if they make one that would be shallow enough for snare, though.