I need your help!!!

simon19

Ok well i been drumming for just over a year and a half now and i pretty much try to get in about 30-45 min on average or maybe 1hr but that not as often. I play most days of the week, if im working and back home late then its a bit more tricky but anyway.

At the risk of sounding like a pleb, does anyone else just get so frustrated and feel as if they have made no progress the last month or two? I have been feeling like these for about 2 months. It could be that since my new job i havent had a drum lesson in bout 7 weeks or so but it really sucks. i still play regularly but i feel like im stuck and i dont know how to progress. Am i right in assuming that most if not all drummers go through bad patches? I was thinking of putting my kit in for new drum heads so might be a gd idea to do that and take a break for a week or so?

All im saying is ...when i first started to play, i enjoyed it so much more. recently i only seem to enjoy it when im playing along with my band.

So any experiences?

Thanks

BillRayDrums

As you get better at what you are doing at any given moment and things start to feel stagnant, it's because your level of awareness on that concept is growing. You are progressing, it';s just that you are starting to realize the weaknesses in your performance. When they say "Ignorance is bliss" it is this paradigm of which they speak.

When you feel as if you are taking steps backwards, it's only to get a running start.

So....it sounds like you are getting better to me. You ought to see an instructor. I mean go SEE one, don't just YouTube something. A vine can grow on it's own but in directions that it might not want to go. When another more experienced hand steps in to direct (not control) the growth, then you can start to forge ahead in a solid direction, and not grow out over the road and get flattened by car tires. Trust one who has the tread marks in his ass to prove it!!

Make sense?

dwtoast72

BillRayDrums":rhtvlmh6 said:
As you get better at what you are doing at any given moment and things start to feel stagnant, it's because your level of awareness on that concept is growing. You are progressing, it';s just that you are starting to realize the weaknesses in your performance. When they say "Ignorance is bliss" it is this paradigm of which they speak.

When you feel as if you are taking steps backwards, it's only to get a running start.

So....it sounds like you are getting better to me. You ought to see an instructor. I mean go SEE one, don't just YouTube something. A vine can grow on it's own but in directions that it might not want to go. When another more experienced hand steps in to direct (not control) the growth, then you can start to forge ahead in a solid direction, and not grow out over the road and get flattened by car tires. Trust one who has the tread marks in his ass to prove it!!

Make sense?
We can go ahead and close this thread now....you've just recieved the best advice that you'll ever recieve on this subject....
Bill....
dude...
you're the man....
the mentor...
Play Hard

Rob Crisp

I have good days and bad days. On those days where my head is just not "there" I tend to put the sticks down. With technique especially, practicing incorrectly for one day can mess up weeks of hard work.

Don't get those "not there" days confused with "hard" days. The hard days are when you are about to break through a new concept or idea and things are really pushing you and about to fall into place. When those days come it's great as everything seems to make sense again.. for a little while anyway.

As usual Bill is spot on!

Where are you from by the way?

simon19

yea that is really good advice and yes that makes sense to me. I have an instructor , i just havent seen him in a while and it been xmas and that recently he taken time off and my work gettin in the way has just not been good at all i think. I think once i get back into the routine of things it will be better again but the fact that im not alone on this topic also helps :D Not sure weather you meant me or bill but if you meant me then im from southern england.

Thanks guys and thanks bill, don't think you could have put that advice any better

Much appreciated 8)