I just dont think I have what it takes

reardoc007

Now you may think i'm jumping the gun here, I haven't even purchased my drum kit yet, but I have purchased a practise pad and have been putting in hours of practise over the past few days.
I am 22, so i'm starting later than most, i dont know whether that has anything to do with it. I started playing round with paradiddles, the first thing you are taught, possibly the easiest thing. Once i start speeding up slightly I always mess up, its infuriating, i dont seem to be getting much better no matter how much I practice.
I know i'll probably be told dont run before you can walk but I have put in many hours of practise over the past few days and seem to be getting nowhere.
I'm sure alot of you people took to it like duck to water, but are their any people here who perhaps aren't natural drummers but have come along way through practise. Your stories of when you first started learning would be much appreciated. Cheers.

spazdrummergirl

you know what? i've only been playing for about a year. and i think every drummer or any musician really, starts off really enthusiastic and then realizing that its not exactly easy to grasp things, they start losing hop and thinking they're hopeless. the solution? time and practise.. if ur not musically inclinded then A LOT of practise. and its never too late to start something. good luck! lemme know how it goes :)

screamkevin

I understand your frustration, reardoc007, but you can't expect drastic improvement in just a few days. You're learning from the beginning. You're asking your muscles to do things that they have never done before, and don't know how to do. Your brain is trying to assimilate all these new and wonderful things like sticks, drums, cymbals, and practice pads.

Step back, and take a deep breath. There, isn't that better? I honestly would suggest purchasing a decent metronome for practicing. And remember, it's not about speed, it's about consistency. Try to play your paradiddles or whatever rudiments you're working on at a consistent speed, keeping each stroke the same.

You'll get it, man. But in getting frustrated, you've discovered the very nature of why drums exist: it's the most violent thing you can do without hurting someone. :lol:

Hang in there! :wink:

Gaddabout

reardoc007":1jym7602 said:
but I have put in many hours of practise over the past few days and seem to be getting nowhere.
That says it all right there. I wasn't even allowed to touch the drum with a stroke the first three weeks of my rudiment education. I had to practice 5 levels of stickings, going from rest to stick height to rest position.

There's no way you're going to have anything to show for it in a few days. Honestly, it takes about 200 to 250 hours of practice -- consistent, earnest practice, not sloppy practice -- to be able to play the basic rudiments at about 100 BPM. That's an hour a day every day for about 6 to 8 months.

You can't hyper obsess over the process. You can't look at your progress each day and determine whether it's worth it or not. You have to go VERY SLOWLY (I always start my students at 40 bpm), focusing on the details of every stroke, and trust the time-tested process will eventually get you where you want to be. That's a big key, really, is trusting the process. If you have faith that you're not going down some new path, that everyone felt as insecure as you did when they started, you can put it out of your mind and just turn your attention to the details of learning.

So stop worrying about how fast you're learning, pick up your sticks, and go back to work. I've taught about 40 new students in my life, and none of them learned the rudiments in less than 3 mos. The ones that did in 3 to 4 months were the kids that had four hours a day to kill and that's all they did every day.

You're not weird or unusual. I'd say it sounds like your experience is very typical!

fuzionman

ever heard of a band called Lamb of God? their drummer started at 21! it doesn't matter when you start...as long as you have the drive. of course you're not going to get instantly good after practicing a few days!!! you have to hack at it for MONTHS if not YEARS before seeing results. you're human...not a machine. your human brain will take its time assimilating all that new information. it will take time for your hands and feet to get stronger. thats why you do the excercises.
i was 18 when i started. i was 20 when i got my first kit. i'm 27 now and i still play and practice everyday. sure its discouraging sometimes. i busted my left hand in a bike accident one year after i got my kit. i had to switch to traditional grip playing because i couldn't do matched anymore due to the nature of the fracture. didn't stop me. i still played...i still practiced. music is a fever man...you have to express it. don't give up no matter how discouraged you feel!!!!!!

meta L ucas

if you never stop practicing, people will tell the more they hear you play. get a metronome and start at about 150 bpm and practice your paradiddles for about a half an hour.

reardoc007

Cheers for the reply's guys. Its nice to hear from people who know what their talking about. I've got my first drum lesson tomorrow with an excellent and really experienced drummer, i'm sure that will help me greatly. I'm just gonna chill out, keep on practicing away and see where I end up!

hxc_adie

i hav a quick little story... i started drums in 5th grade in my elementry school. i HATED it. i wanted to play trombone, but my teacher sed "you have strong hands, im signing you up for drums". like i sed i hated it. hated every waking moment i had ot practice it. all because i couldnt play a single stroke. A SINGLE STROKE !! i could double fine, just not single. and god it was the most frustrating thing ever ! i sat in school and cried almost everytime i had lessons. then i got it. and now being a junior in HS im going to college for a major in music education minor in classic percussion/jazz. i mean it just all humps. and what i owuld suggest before you give up or continue on, get the basics down like second nature. after that everything else will come to you soo easily

mouse

reardoc007":jhxgdtv0 said:
Cheers for the reply's guys. Its nice to hear from people who know what their talking about. I've got my first drum lesson tomorrow with an excellent and really experienced drummer, i'm sure that will help me greatly. I'm just gonna chill out, keep on practicing away and see where I end up!
how did your lesson go? :D

And you have to remember, it's harder to pick things up straight away when you first start. You haven't got the muscle memory there like someone who's been playing for significantly longer. So as you said, just chill out, keep practicing and most importantly- enjoy it! 8)

Also please remember, that you are the closest person to hear what you're playing. You've heard all the ups and downs of your learning, but I'm sure if someone saw you playing now, then came back a week later after you've been practicing, would see a significate improvement in your playing, even if you can't. If you want to see it for yourself, how about making a little recording/ video of you playing (maybe with a digital camera, or leaving yourself and answerphone message on your mobile, so you can listen to it later). That way you can watch/ listento it at a later date and see the difference in your playing for youself :D

Have faith though. I've been playing 9 years now and my paradiddles are still appauling, lol :lol:

Sarah x

WhiteOleander

yep I remember i first sat down and tried to play the basic rockbeat.. I felt hopeless and much like an elephant trying to iceskate.. eventually i took to it though, and now i feel as though playing the drums is the most natural thing in the world =) keep in there

Wintersongs

Best bet, hook up with a local teacher. It may help correct problems you are having, and always be a source of things for you to work towards.
Books and DVDs are fine, but they can't correct you if you are doing something wrong. Having someone qualified to watch over and guide you is always the best bet.

justin headley

i started young, about 5 and i just kinda hit the things, it was'nt till about 9 or 10 i actually tried to learn and practice. I never had lessons so i had a rough start, and i practiced hours a day for months and never seemed like i got better and then one day everything clicked and it was all so easy, so dont give up and i'm sure it will all fall together for you.

if you need any help with anything or have any questions feel free to ask, i'm pretty sure and drummers in the D.M.L. community would love to help you out

mlumpkin13

Hey man, keep this in mind. Nothing is as easy as it looks, but it takes more than days. It takes years. There is no set time as to how long it should take someone to learn how to play drums, hell I've been playing for 20 years and there are still alot of things I need to learn and I do learn everyday. Bottom line is this, If you think you can, then you can, but if you think you can't, then you're probably right.

Flatliner

Stick with it, it will click one day and make sense. You might want to get used to not being able to do stuff right away because you'll probably find that the rest of your drumming career will involve mastering something new and then feeling like you can't do something and mastering and that and starting the cycle over again as something else becomes your goal.

Gaddabout

Flatliner":1y638cw5 said:
Stick with it, it will click one day and make sense. You might want to get used to not being able to do stuff right away because you'll probably find that the rest of your drumming career will involve mastering something new and then feeling like you can't do something and mastering and that and starting the cycle over again as something else becomes your goal.
This is the truth. I remember once feeling a little to assured that I had a grasp on drumming until I saw Vinnie. For many years after that, every time I saw him or heard him, I wanted to break my sticks in two and give up. Now that I've spent some time studying his playing, it's nice that I'm actually able to play some of his signature phrasings ... although you do this enough and it removes a lot of mystery and wonder from drumming that keeps you practicing in the first place!

XIxPxGX

yea ive only been playing for almost 3 years and i just started to notice that im not half bad. and i know what you mean the bass pedal rolll and triplets really got me angry cause it took me a while to learn but i eventually did. but yea stick in there and just practice. try things you cant do and do them till you can.

dougthedrummer

I am 30,and didnt sit behind a drum set ubtil 2 years ago.I was a sound tech for a group and their drummer didnt show for practice.They asked meto just hit snare a few times to get a beat for new song.I sat back there and thought(no offense to drummers)it cant be that hard to play drums.I just started playing..wasnt pretty at first,but I was playing.I am now drummer for that group.Its been going on 3 years now.I am not great by any means..but I have a blast doing it,and I get better everytime I sit back there.Dont give up yet...

hovis21

reardoc007":2e3kjxca said:
Your stories of when you first started learning would be much appreciated. Cheers.
22 ain't that bad! I'm 31 and just starting. Fitting in practice on a kit that has pads on it 99.99% of the time with a full time job and a host of other stuff ain't that easy. Add in a left hand that WILL JUST NOT do what it is told to do and it's a whole new world of hurt for me.

But, and it's a big but, i will get there because I have what it takes. And so will you if you believe it. I've wanted to call myself a drummer since i was 12 or 13 and the 'evil parents' vetoed the idea of a kit....so now is my chance.

So, whatever despair you feel at knacking up those paradiddles, don't worry too much. There's someone over here doing exactly the same and wondering when he's gonna get it right. Keep practicing, do the rudiments till they stick and it will come. It's hard work but it'll come.

Now repeat after me: right left right right left right left left

Tom

Anyone ever hear track Four on the first Matrix soundtrack?

Took me three months before I could play that damn beat!!!! I can't remember how many times I sat in my room crying 'cause I couldn't do it! I had to prposfully mess it up to get it to sound somewhat right, then it just clicked. I'm not naturally good at anything, drawing, drumming, writing, EVERYTHING has taken me YEARS of practice, eight and a half years later....I have a reputation for being one of the best drummers in my local area! And there are plenty of guys better than me.

Moral of the story....don't let time discourage you....you're the drummer, you ARE thew time. Just relax! it'll click. And getting a metronome is probably the BEST investment ANY musician can make!!!! No One on this site picked up a pair of sticks and started playing "Scarrified" by Racer X. We all practiced to Metallica and Korn first (and fucked that up too!!!!)

Just keep in there!!!!