Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meinl

• I like more than just one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rufio32

So I have played drums for a couple years now, and I'm planning on getting a new drum set before too long. I've had the same drum set for the whole time I've been playing drums. I have a PDP right now. Don't know what kinda PDP, but it's decent. I know that I want paiste cymbals, so I'm good there, but I'm trying to decide what company to buy the actual set from. How do I know that what I'm buying is the kit I really want? I know the cymbals I want, cuz I get sound samples online, but most Drum companies don't give that feature online, so I don't really know what company I wanna go through. I don't know the companies very well. I just know my drum set well. I guess my real question is, how do I find "my sound"? Does anybody have any suggestions?

king_friday

go to your local music store and try some of them out. if you are looking for a lower level kit, ludwig and pearl have some pretty nice inexpensive kits.

SGarrett

Why is your poll about cymbals and your question about drums? Silly. :p

Your sound will come from the heads you use, the way you tune your drums, the cymbals you pick (not the brand, the specific cymbals themselves), and the way you play the gear. Your playing will sound the same on a Ludwig with Paistes, a DW with Sabians, a Pearl with Zildjians, a Gretsch with Istanbuls, or a Mapex with Saludas. When I was selling drums I'd usually ask people what their favorite drummer played, which company had the color options they liked, and which company had the tom mounting and hardware options they liked. Maple is louder and good for live while birch is punchy and good for the studio...but you can use either in either situation with great results. Don't just buy a logo. Buy something that you want.

For reference sake, Pearl won't endorse anyone who doesn't already love their gear. To keep it that way they pay very low in comparison to other companies. You have to want to play Pearl.

JasonS2C

I still firmly believe that value for price you really can't beat PDP drums for an entry level kit or a spare practice kit.

SGarrett

JasonS2C":36ohsdv2 said:
I still firmly believe that value for price you really can't beat PDP drums for an entry level kit or a spare practice kit.
Brooks Wackerman and Longineau Parsons don't play entry level kits. :)

ThePloughman

There should be another poll with the same respondants involved. In all those who voted, who plays High End Cymbals from whichever manufacturer and who is playing low end cymbals.

I just notice Sabian has a high percentage, I wonder if the voters are using upper end, or B8s

screamkevin

michiganice91":new5or91 said:
Howepirate":new5or91 said:
Saluda. Dammit.
sucks
Dude, don't be a douche. I'll put Saludas up against Meinl, Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste any day of the week. Saluda has more available lines than the rest, more options than the rest, complete customization unlike the rest, and lower prices. Period.

EOTE_drummer

well if drum companies had sound samples of the drums, then people would buy them and be very disappointed when they get the drums, because anybody (who knows what they are doing) can make a decent set sound great, a great set sound amazing, and a crap set sound decent.