I have found the most awesome groove...

Homki890

"Conversations", by Spyro Gyra. Alex Acuna is playing drums. The Head of the tune is where it just gets down and dirty.

Homki890

drumur

I love Spyra Gyra stuff.
I saw them live and was blown away.
I haven't heard the one with Acuna

Homki890

Rob Crisp":1t8440nt said:
Thank you Homki, for introducing me to them!

Think I'll be on itunes later.....
Welcome, my friend, to my realm of drumming. Do come in, we do have jackets.

I'm currently working on a transcription of that groove in the opening section.

Homki890

Motley Tshirts

Homki890":3rqj7cpa said:
Ok, so I was very wrong. Alex was not the drummer as I thought. The drummer is none other than the legendary and my absolute drumming hero, Steve Gadd. Here's a link to the site where you can download the song.

http://www.spyrogyra.com/discography.php?num=7

The Album it is on is City Kids.
Thanks for the link!!! Yeah, those guys know how to groove, very cool. Even some of the newer stuff is sweet, I was looking around on that site for a bit. Nice... Thanks again.

drumur

I was just on that site and couldn't download the song.

I saw them with Joel Rosenblatt, the drummer who replaced Weckl with Michel Camillo

drumur

Try this with the left hand on snare

Ride.1...2.&.3....4.&
snar..e&2..a..e&.4..a
LeftF.1.&.2.&.3.&.4.&
RightF.e.a.e.a.e.a.e.a

Bazybeats

It was pretty sick...really awesome drumming. I really dig that old swing style "old school Jazz." He is really playing it fast too.

Awesome.

BzB :)

SmellsLikeIan

drumur":9mb1ou2x said:
I was just on that site and couldn't download the song.

I saw them with Joel Rosenblatt, the drummer who replaced Weckl with Michel Camillo
Yeah, I had a Spyro Gyra album that Rosenblatt played on. I don't know about their newer stuff, but I didn't think that particular album was that great. It sounded too much like elevator jazz or the music they play on the weather channel in the background during the 5 day forecast. Kenny G type of bullshit with occasional cheesy vocals . But that's just me, I don't like "smooth jazz". I think the album had a sandman and some stars on the cover and the title may have had something to do with dreaming/sleeping.

drumur

Yeah, I had a Spyro Gyra album that Rosenblatt played on. I don't know about their newer stuff, but I didn't think that particular album was that great. It sounded too much like elevator jazz or the music they play on the weather channel in the background during the 5 day forecast. Kenny G type of bullshit with occasional cheesy vocals . But that's just me, I don't like "smooth jazz". I think the album had a sandman and some stars on the cover and the title may have had something to do with dreaming/sleeping.
I never heard that one but he was great live in concert.