i have a huge drumming problem, anyone help

iplaydrums1

eh, ok so ive been at a low point in my drumming for a while now, i havent really learned anything new in a long time. the way i practice goes like this : i hear music i like, if they have a good drummer i learn from them and see how they play and then i incorporate their playing into my style. problem being i dont have anyone to learn from and i dont know where to go, no one really impresses me and i dont know what to do really? the only way to impress people these days is to have 200 bpm double peddle skills and i dont play like that. i play like me.

its almost like i practice the same stuff over and over again every day and i need to break out of that, anyone have any pointers? any drummers who i can learn from?

i.e. not danny carey or mike portnoy

thank you all so much for your time and help

phoenix7289

Nicko McBrain. Listen to any 2006 songs by Iron Maiden (off the album called A Matter of Life and Death) and you will be amazed! Considering.... he uses a single kicker!!! And only has one bass!!! He is my idol let's just say!

scrubs

You don't really describe your style, but, try to get into styles that you are not that familiar with. Jazz, latin, big band/swing, etc. Immersing yourself in those styles can really open up your mind, creatively, regardless of whether or not you play that kind of music.

Rockaflodge

Man try and write your own stuff and I dont me just making stuff up out of the blue. sit dow and try to write a piece of music testing everything you know and the deffent kinds of music you play and you be surprised how hard it will be and in the process it will test the all the thing you already know and seeing how well you realy know them. This is also good for when you make solos and writr parts for demos and records. I hope it was so help.

baxtro

Listening to great drummers, and incorporating what they do into your playing is a good and fun way to better yourself. However, there are tons of books out there for the aspiring drummer. Blazing double bass drums isn't even cool if your groove and timing suck. Shed rudiments and Stick Control with a metronome til you puke, then add them into your grooves and fills.

iplaydrums1

thank you all, just for those who wanted to know, my style is kind of danny carey/dino(dredg)/josh freese- ish. so i think that if i use what you all suggested i will be on a good track, thank you all again

Flatliner

wasn't clear by you statement if there are any, but if anyone in your area teaches drum lessons I'd recommend you take some, the main reason being that you aren't teaching yourself and in that way you'll get ideas outside of what you may have thought of on your own and that in turn will give you a million other outlets to persue.

xdoseonex

Neal Peart
Virgil Donati
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Dennis Chambers
Ken Schalk
Derek Roddy
Elvin Jones
Billy Martin
Art Blakey
John Longstreth

drumtone

if youre looking for drummers to listen to, look no further than umphrey's mcgee drummer KRIS MYERS. if anyone hasnt seen/heard this guy, i recommend doing so. if youre bored with your style, pick up some books. learn some latin, jazz, even big band, and always be working those rudiments with a metronome. y'know what exercise always keeps me busy? the classic 3/4 waltz on your feet (one-bass drum, two/three hi-hats) and then explore other times with your hands (ive only gotten comfortable with 5's with my hands). i learned this from neil peart and its infintely difficult. fuck 200bpm on the double bass, thats not cool.

iplaydrums1

yea definately, im gonna check out that guy....ive always liked the idea of different timing signatures on different limbs, working independance and stuff. im frustrated with how drummers these days get recognition for being fast, but you throw a jazz book in front of them and theyre lost. i checked out some steve gadd solos, and some dave weckl and so on...ive always liked those guys but never went into their drumming. its completely how i want to play...my old teacher always pushed me in that direction but i needed to quit due to money and other reasons, so i think it would only be a natural progression to build my style off them.

thanks guys :twisted:

Dale

iplaydrums1":3ps1ah1m said:
eh, ok so ive been at a low point in my drumming for a while now, i havent really learned anything new in a long time. the way i practice goes like this : i hear music i like, if they have a good drummer i learn from them and see how they play and then i incorporate their playing into my style. problem being i dont have anyone to learn from and i dont know where to go, no one really impresses me and i dont know what to do really? the only way to impress people these days is to have 200 bpm double peddle skills and i dont play like that. i play like me.

its almost like i practice the same stuff over and over again every day and i need to break out of that, anyone have any pointers? any drummers who i can learn from?

I recomend you find a good teacher. If that is not an option, buy Gary Chester's book, The new breed. That will keep you busy for a while.

mouse

you thought about maybe buying some drum magazines? something new in there each month. Might help :)

xx

Mutchy

here is a tip: go out, pick any cd off the shelf in HMV or somewhere and buy it. then pick any track but not the first or last. look at what (if there is) the drummer is doing, what is he playing? then play it on your kit, and permutate the beat (play it backwards, or bass drum on different note). Then do the same with another track off some album. experiment using your imagination, twist and turn everything your ears pick up. being stuck and not being able to progress is the best thing that improves us as drummers, as it gives us time to focus and understand more about the drums and about what others drummers do.

dabigdrummer

Get in a band or something that way you get to develop an even more unique sound. Have you tried plaaying along with the new Avenged Sevenfold CD? I dont know how long youve been playing so I dont know HOW challenging it will be but the stuff is really fun to play nonetheless.

But really look into a band or something, it pushes you limits when you have to WRITE something instead of just copying it.

Practice rudiments til you can't stand it lol, and then apply them to the kit. Something like a paradiddle applied to the kit can open your mind to different things you can do. Try breaking out of the norm for fills, something I do is fill across a few toms, go back to the snare and the hit some cymbals like I'd hit toms in a fill. It can really surprise you with the things you can come up with!

Gaddabout

iplaydrums1":27c180h9 said:

If you can read, you should be able to find inspiration in some systematic book that will open doors for you to discover your own style ... maybe even invent your own style. Also, you don't go to a teacher because they impress you, you go to teacher because they help keep you accoutnable and inspire you. Find a teacher that inspires you. My first suggestion would be to call the college music program in your area and find out if the percussion instructor offers private music lessons. You should be able to find an advanced teacher if there's a college or community college anywhere near you.

If you can read, I heartily recommend picking up The Complete Modern Drum Set by Frank Briggs (a Mel Bay publication). Frank is a master drummer, and some of his exercises are downright groundbreaking ... not because they're overtly new, but because they get right to the heart of some of the most complicated playing many of us are trying to cop from other drummers. The first exercise in that book that gets you around the kit is one I will probably use as a warm-up the rest of my life. It can be very simple or it can make me sound like Vinnie Colaiuta!

iplaydrums1

yea ive been playing for 8 years, the reason why i have this problem is because i dont know HOW to challenge myself anymore..if that makes sense? ive been looking around for bands so..we'll see where that road takes me

grey_fox

The Heel":2pk4dm86 said:
Steve Gadd.
YES!

He is like god to my teacher! and i can see why he lays dowwn groovy beats and my teacher likes to give me sheet music on the fills he does! really worthwhile checking him out!

chachaman02

dabigdrummer":j0ptkuxx said:
Get in a band or something that way you get to develop an even more unique sound. Have you tried plaaying along with the new Avenged Sevenfold CD? I dont know how long youve been playing so I dont know HOW challenging it will be but the stuff is really fun to play nonetheless.

But really look into a band or something, it pushes you limits when you have to WRITE something instead of just copying it.

This is my favorite CD of 2005-07 so far. not only are the drums amazing, but this band is just awsome.

If ur lookin for good drummers (especially if you're one of the single bassing son-of-a-guns) listen to incubus' cd called science. also, listen to blink 182's latest CD. Travis Barker's ghost notes are amazing. If you really want to be impressed, listen to Cynic. Their drummer is amazing. Also, Thomas Lang is a god at drumming.