I got a problem with holding the drumstick

mutantpotato

Hi.

A few years ago, I had a accident. I damaged my hand really bad. And now the little finger on my right hand is really weak because I damaged many nerves and muscles in the finger. When I hold the drumstick, my little finger is too weak to hold the drumstick in place. The drumstick is sliding away from my hand, and I can only play for about 20 seconds before I have to stop to find a better grip on the drumstick, otherwise it will slide out of my hand.

Do you got any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

wak

zildjian dip-sticks may help

pretty cheap (about £8 or £9) i tried them when i was in my "unable to keep hold of a drumstick" period, not that i've passed it now, i just don't like zildjian sticks anyway

i dont even know if i use my little finger to be honest, ive never thought of that, i dont think i do as mine are really stubby anyway, and probab;y couldnt reach the damn thing

DrummerByron

The Heel":2k6dl3fu said:
I also recomend the Ahead Stick tape.
I agree that wrapping your sticks may help, But the AHEAD grip tape costs $4 a pop, and 1 package will only wrap 2 sticks. I suggest that you go to your local sporting goods store (or Wal-Mart) and pick up some Wilson Grip Tape in the tennis racket section. It’s the same kind tape as the AHEAD tape but it comes in packages of 3 and you can wrap a pair of sticks with one roll of tape. You will have to cut one roll in half to wrap a pair of sticks. It’s made for sports equipment that is high impact, so it’s perfect for drumming.
And the Wilson tape costs $4, and 1 package will wrap 6 sticks. You can cut the tape in half too so you can tape the ends. Here is a picture of the tape:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... ting-goods

That sucks about your hand. I broke both of my wrist bones in my left hand in a skating accident when I was 20 and I thought my drumming career was over; I was very lucky that I had no nerve damage and a great physical therapist.

Mattayo

wak":bm6vwyo9 said:
i dont even know if i use my little finger to be honest, ive never thought of that, i dont think i do as mine are really stubby anyway, and probab;y couldnt reach the damn thing

I dont really use my little finger either.. its only there for support when going into fast fillins.. lets you bounce your sticks that much smoother around the kit..
dont want to sound mean but you might have a pretty bad technique.
when you first strarted drumming did you just pick up the sticks and hit the drums or did you have someone tell you that you might be better off in the future holding them "this way"?

Will

What you might want to do is get a Gripmaster or similar thing (the things guitarists use to warm up their fingers before a gig etc).

I got one so I could warm up my fingers before a gig but found out it actually helped to strengthen my grip and each finger individually.
Now my little finger is just as strong as any other finger.

Heres a pic for you

hxc_adie

technically if you have a proper grip you could play without your middle, ring, and pinkie fingers. the force for the grip has to come fromthe meaty muscle on ur hand at the base of the fold where your thumb meets ur hand. it hurts kidna at first and is awkward,but once you build it up you can holdonto a stick for ever. for fun i somtimes play marching snare just holding it there and no other fingers on the stick lol. and i can say since i got the grip, i havent dropped one stick.

80'smetaljoe

yea i also would tell you to try stick tape ...then jus put more on where ur pinky is or get ape snot (i think its called) its a lil can n its sticky shit you put on stick that works great

mouse

hxc_adie":1j9rzx6z said:
technically if you have a proper grip you could play without your middle, ring, and pinkie fingers.
not totally true. My new teacher's been turning that on it's head with me, with the main grip coming from the thumb and middle finger. Sounds (and feels) weird (at first), but try it. Really allows you to relax your hands and keep better control (in my humble opinion anyway)

But yes, to the person originally posting this topic, what is your grip like? If you're holding your stick with your little finger, then you might need to alter your technique. None of your fingers should be gripping on for dear life, so loosen up. The little fingers there as a 'guide' rather than part of the playing. (If any of that makes sense, lol?)

Sarah x

m

I've heard examples of all different kinds of grips; some jazz guys even use their pinky as their primary grip- so it's hard to say what's right or wrong.

Have you thought of trying a 'traditional grip' with your right hand?
If you're right-handed, it might feel a little awkward at first, but it's something you can get used to. I've practiced the grip with both hands and my right hand seems to pick it up quicker for some reason.

If rehabilitating the pinky isn't really an option, trying the traditional grip will definitely take it out of the equation.

Gaddabout

Finger control, finger control, finger control. Go find an instructor who teaches finger control. They'll help you develop a comfortable fulcrum between your thumb and pinky, show you how to use your middle and ring fingers to guide the stick to pivot, and allow you to use your arm so the inertia of the stick does most of the work for you. Your pinky doesn't ever have to come into the equation. Hard hitters and light hitters alike have been using this longer than you and I have been alive combined.

MRSTICKSTUFF

mutantpotato":1vqmy05m said:
Hi.

A few years ago, I had a accident. I damaged my hand really bad. And now the little finger on my right hand is really weak because I damaged many nerves and muscles in the finger. When I hold the drumstick, my little finger is too weak to hold the drumstick in place. The drumstick is sliding away from my hand, and I can only play for about 20 seconds before I have to stop to find a better grip on the drumstick, otherwise it will slide out of my hand.

Do you got any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
STICKSTUFFGRIP.com has a clear Black light glow that was developed for Sporting Equipment that my work for you. Sold in 18 oz jars, you can dip your drumstick of choice adding a great rubberized grip!

MIke

Chris Z

I used to have problems with sticks sliding out of my hands, usually due to sweat or whatever liquid may have been thrown on me at that time! one day I got out my pocket knife and simply started smacking the knife in a downwad direction (towards the bottom of the stick). this provided a nice textured "grip" on the stick, and this idea cost nothing! and what I did with my mallets was, I went to Home Depot and bought some tool dip, you simply dunk your sticks or mallets in there and it gives you another type of "grip". now a word of warning that if you like to twirl your sticks like me, if you use the tool dip stuff on your sticks and get the stick backwards this stuff will make a mess of your cymbals.

Best of Luck!

Damagedrummer

Hi, I also had alot of trouble holding my sticks, especially when playing live. you're under heavyduty light and sweat breaks out even when you just putting your pedals together. I tried zildjian dipsticks, and they ripped my entire hands open, due to too much grip. I had blisters for weeks. Because of that I bought some zildjian drumming gloves, but it just didn't work out quit aswell as I hoped. Later I thought it was because they we're a little bit too small. So a couple of weeks ago I bought some magnesium. You can just buy the stuff at your local sportshop for a few bucks. The women at the counter ensured my it wouldn't cause blisters. ( I asked 'cause of my experience with the dipsticks) So the next gig I burried my hand in the crumbled block of magnesium and started playing. When we were trough the first song I felt the blisters coming trough. BUT! it does work. Just make sure you use a little bit and your hands will stay dry and you WILL have great grip, so you can play relaxed, without cramping your hands and wrists.