I feel just stuck.

ddrumbum

don't want to sound like a wiener, but man I just feel like my playing is going backwards, I feel like my creative juices have come to a screetchin holt, I am feeling very discouraged, and almost feel like throwing in the towel, I would never quit drumming, but man does anyone else ever feel this way? or am I just a complainer and need to just suck it up and keep going? IF so what have you done to respark the fire and get the creativity going again? I try and watch videos of my favorite drummer and then go play and that just makes it worse, HELP

i fell like this occasionally.

i'm in three bands right now and work 40+ hours a week. it's hard to find time to practice by myself.

maybe it's time to change your set-up, buy some new gear. trade some old gear. practice more. work on your chops by playing different genres of music than you're use to (i'm not a jazz fan or an r&b fan, but being well versed in all styles will only enhance your playing.)

good luck. don't throw in the towel.

ddrumbum

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":nr1kdq7s said:
i fell like this occasionally.

i'm in three bands right now and work 40+ hours a week. it's hard to find time to practice by myself.

maybe it's time to change your set-up, buy some new gear. trade some old gear. practice more. work on your chops by playing different genres of music than you're use to (i'm not a jazz fan or an r&b fan, but being well versed in all styles will only enhance your playing.)

good luck. don't throw in the towel.
Thanks, I wish I was in three bands, playing with other musicians is always inspiring, not to mention very fun. I have purchased a few new things I am waiting to arrive so we will see, anyway thanks for you help.

stump

It's called a slump dude! Everyone has them. Pro athletes, musicians and everyone else. Just stick with it and you will come out of it. I find that coming out of a slump actually helps me be more creative and I play better. Good luck!

ddrumbum

stump":1tziljdc said:
It's called a slump dude! Everyone has them. Pro athletes, musicians and everyone else. Just stick with it and you will come out of it. I find that coming out of a slump actually helps me be more creative and I play better. Good luck!
Thanks man. I am sure you are right.

BillRayDrums

You are at a plateau. In front of you is a big learning curve of sorts, and the few steps backwards you feel as if you are taking is just what you need to get a running start.

When you start realizing things such as "My left hand sucks" or "I feel too stiff when I play" it's because you have reached a level of awareness that comes through practice and growth. That being said, it's probably a good thing that you feel this way, as you can take steps to correct this feeling.

When you don't feel anything at all is when you should become worried. That means you acquiesce to your current level and in a sense, stop growing. I've danced on that edge several times and know well enought to stay far away from it.

An old legendary drummer of San Diego geography came up to me one night and said "How old are you?" I told him my age and he said "That's when I lost my 'snap'." So, I've constantly found ways to not lose my 'snap'.

ddrumbum

BillRayDrums":27ouw781 said:
You are at a plateau. In front of you is a big learning curve of sorts, and the few steps backwards you feel as if you are taking is just what you need to get a running start.

When you start realizing things such as "My left hand sucks" or "I feel too stiff when I play" it's because you have reached a level of awareness that comes through practice and growth. That being said, it's probably a good thing that you feel this way, as you can take steps to correct this feeling.

When you don't feel anything at all is when you should become worried. That means you acquiesce to your current level and in a sense, stop growing. I've danced on that edge several times and know well enought to stay far away from it.

An old legendary drummer of San Diego geography came up to me one night and said "How old are you?" I told him my age and he said "That's when I lost my 'snap'." So, I've constantly found ways to not lose my 'snap'.
Thank you very much.

MrBojengles

BillRayDrums":39pyb4x8 said:

that scares the shit outa me :O.

Beej

Man, hang in there. I think Stump hit it on the head(no pun intended) when he called it a slump. If it's something where you're looking for imrovement in your own ability, then find something you haven't been doing regularly in your drumming...step outside the box. I think buying new "toys" will only band aid what you're going through. It'll be cool and fun at first until the novelty of it wears off then you'll probably back to square one. Sometimes what I'll do is watch a DVD that came with one of my DRUM! magazines which feature so many awesome drummers from so many different genres that it really inspires me to play something other than what I play in my band. I also recommend getting some books with some cool patterns in them to show just how to play some of those different beats from different genres. I know there is another forum on teaching students from certain books. There are quite a few recommendations on that forum. Good luck and keep drumming!

screamkevin

The folks that are posting here are right. Everyone hits a slump or "plateau" occasionally. Try something wild.

Here's a thought that I usually reccommend when someone slumps and gets frustrated: Set up that DDrum kit opposite from the way you normally play (i.e. left-handed if you are a righty) and play that way for a month or so. It will seem awkward at first, but you'll soon get comfy with it, and when you switch back, it will open up some great sonic possibilities for patterns and leads you wouldn't have normally thought of. Plus, it will strengthen your weak side by forcing you to lead with that side.

Just a suggestion, but as said before, hang in there. You'll snap out of it sooner or later.

vahnn

screamkevin":2uki5b5r said:
Here's a thought that I usually reccommend when someone slumps and gets frustrated: Set up that DDrum kit opposite from the way you normally play (i.e. left-handed if you are a righty) and play that way for a month or so. It will seem awkward at first, but you'll soon get comfy with it, and when you switch back, it will open up some great sonic possibilities for patterns and leads you wouldn't have normally thought of. Plus, it will strengthen your weak side by forcing you to lead with that side.
This is a great idea. I first started drumming 'open haned' (playing lefty on a righty kit), and after a while, i seemed to reach my limit. I took a short break, then set up my drums normal righty (i used to have my ride and hi-hats both on the left, all my crashes were around the left side), and learned how to play that way. Now i'm able to switch playing like that on the fly, i feel it's allowed me to play a lot of stuff i wouldn't have been able to.

I hit another slump a couple years back, where i felt like i sucked every day, and it got worse and worse. I stopped playing for about a month, and took some time and listened to ALL KINDS of music, stuff i normally don't listen to, stuff i don't play. Even country. Man, i hate country. Even some rap (they have some kickass beats and grooves) and some techno-esque stuff (Aphex Twin, haha)...

So i had a bunch of great new ideas flowing through my head to work with, new styles to practice, and a new approach to the drums again! I played with a new vigor and enthusiasm i never had before, and i was constantly trying new things that i think helped my playing out a lot.

I'm at another slump, though, haha. I'm realizing my left leg isn't nearly as strong as i'd like it to be, which hampers my double-bass playing immensely. Now i'm working on strengthening that leg. It's coming, slowly but surely!

john_bonham73

everyone has those "slumps" that are being spoken of here. Just stay tough, keep on course and focused.There will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Listen to different tunes than you normally listen to for new ideas or new videos. SYNCOPATION by Ted Reed is a good resource book to help get out of that "funk."

drummer912

i know wht ur going through. im just getting out of it. everyone has them. i just keep on playin and practicing. btw ur ddrum kit is pretty cool.

balefullybenign

the state that you're in is all in your head and the more frustrated you get the worse you will feel. you need to just sit down at your kit and form a mental picture of everything going the way you want. just take some deep breaths and think positive. it works for me and hopefully it will work for you.