I feel as if I got ripped off

automaster31

I recieved a 6 pc Pulse Pro Lacquer set in natural finish, but it was missing another tom arm. So, on Saturday, I went downtown to the only music shop in Oneida and they had exactly what I needed for once. There was only one in stock.

http://www.drumsmylife.com/buy/gibralta ... 34-inches/

They charged $30 for it and I just remembered to check if they matched competitor's prices. doubt that they do... Bad price?

BillRayDrums

automaster31":2p8z1gwf said:
I recieved a 6 pc Pulse Pro Lacquer set in natural finish, but it was missing another tom arm. So, on Saturday, I went downtown to the only music shop in Oneida and they had exactly what I needed for once. There was only one in stock.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Tom-Arm?sku=445982

They charged $30 for it and I just remembered to check if they matched competitor's prices. doubt that they do... Bad price?

#1. They had it, you needed it.
#2. You would have paid for shipping anyway
#3. Supporting your local drum shop is ALWAYS a good thing. Because of Musician's Friends, GC, etc., the local shops are all going away and that's bad.

Next time you will be mail ordering it, because there won't BE a drum shop there.

Remember, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Rockula!

Many music stores have a price matching guarantee as part of their return policy
This means that if you find it for less within the normal 30 day return period, you can recive a refund of the difference
Or, you can try this one
Ask for the difference,and if they don't wanna give it to you, then return the item for a full refund
Even if you didn't keep your recipt, even the smallest stores have your transaction on a computer (provided that your info is on the system and it was not a "quick cash" transaction)
Most stores and salesmen would rather move the item than take it back (I hate doing it myself but I will do whatever I can to save the sale)
They are still going to make some kind of profit from you, just not as big of one
The only way they would refuse is if they have to take a loss against the cost of the item

BillRayDrums

Rockula!":2bn6whdv said:
Many music stores have a price matching guarantee as part of their return policy
This means that if you find it for less within the normal 30 day return period, you can recive a refund of the difference
Or, you can try this one
Ask for the difference,and if they don't wanna give it to you, then return the item for a full refund
Even if you didn't keep your recipt, even the smallest stores have your transaction on a computer (provided that your info is on the system and it was not a "quick cash" transaction)
Most stores and salesmen would rather move the item than take it back (I hate doing it myself but I will do whatever I can to save the sale)
They are still going to make some kind of profit from you, just not as big of one
The only way they would refuse is if they have to take a loss against the cost of the item

This is all true, but at what length are you going to go in order to save $5?
Little story for ya- I used to work in a shop and had this ANNOYING customer who would always grind me down to PENNIES. I mean, homey would come in for a drumhead and pitch a bitch if I charged him $.25 over what he thought it ought to be. And yes, he had his mail-order catalog in hand, every time.

One day I was cleaning the parts bins and came across a rarity- the cast frame for a Rogers Dyna-sonic snare mount. A very rare item indeed!! Guess who walked in like 10 minutes later, and guess what he was looking for? Coincidence huh?

If homes had been a bit cooler, I'd have given him the damn thing.
I split the $75 with my boss, because he too could not believe I fetched so much for a piece of metal that was otherwise going to end up in the garbage.

Sure, in the smaller drumshops you will pay about $5 more but look at it this way- They have it THEN AND THERE. Is saving $5-10 worth the 5 days in shipping? To me it's worth the extra price to have said shop still operating to where if there is an emergency, I'm covered. Plus, if I really was in a bind, I could call my guy Franc Uberti at Music Mart in Solana Beach, Ca on his cell phone and he would go to the shop, get what I need, and bring it to me without as much as one gripe.

Service- it's what you really pay for.

Rockula!

Billy Ray speaks of the the pain that all of us in the music retail business have to suffer
Thanks to places like GC and now Best Buy, the focus is now on price instead of getting the right piece for the job
One of the last places I worked in Dallas had a customer that I will refer to as "J.B."
He had that typical New York/New Jersey aggressive attitude (which works in NY or NJ but not in Dallas)
He would walk in and waste everyone's time asking for unreasonably low prices and be quite a jerk about it then leaving without purchasng anythingIf he did end up buying something, he usualy returned it about 29 days later (we stopped that with the good ole' "re-stocking fee")
We couldn't ban him from the store but it was funny to watch everyone all of a sudden become busy with project or tak a bathroom break just as soon as this guy walked through the door
My boss used to joke that more side work got done while JB was in the store and he was going to hire him to annoy us all

BillRayDrums

Rockula!":2ap0sq1l said:
Billy Ray speaks of the the pain that all of us in the music retail business have to suffer
Thanks to places like GC and now Best Buy, the focus is now on price instead of getting the right piece for the job
One of the last places I worked in Dallas had a customer that I will refer to as "J.B."
He had that typical New York/New Jersey aggressive attitude
He would walk in and waste everyone's time asking for unreasonably low prices and be quite a jerk about it then leaving without purchasng anythingIf he did end up buying something, he usualy returned it about 29 days later (we stopped that with the good ole' "re-stocking fee")
We couldn't ban him from the store but it was funny to watch everyone all of a sudden become busy with project or tak a bathroom break just as soon as this guy walked through the door
My boss used to joke that more side work got done while JB was in the store and he was going to hire him to annoy us all

ROTFL!! My boss did the same thing with another "helicopter" customer (Would come in and hover all day).

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":2sgadlqx said:
Rockula!":2sgadlqx said:
Or, you can try this one

Little story for ya- I used to work in a shop and had this ANNOYING customer who would always grind me down to PENNIES. I mean, homey would come in for a drumhead and pitch a bitch if I charged him $.25 over what he thought it ought to be. And yes, he had his mail-order catalog in hand, every time.

One day I was cleaning the parts bins and came across a rarity- the cast frame for a Rogers Dyna-sonic snare mount. A very rare item indeed!! Guess who walked in like 10 minutes later, and guess what he was looking for? Coincidence huh?

I split the $75 with my boss, because he too could not believe I fetched so much for a piece of metal that was otherwise going to end up in the garbage.

Sure, in the smaller drumshops you will pay about $5 more but look at it this way- They have it THEN AND THERE. Is saving $5-10 worth the 5 days in shipping? To me it's worth the extra price to have said shop still operating to where if there is an emergency, I'm covered. Plus, if I really was in a bind, I could call my guy Franc Uberti at Music Mart in Solana Beach, Ca on his cell phone and he would go to the shop, get what I need, and bring it to me without as much as one gripe.

Did you ever have a customer grind you like that and then pull out fat roll of $20s? That pissed me right off.

Speaking of "then and there". I got a call from a guy one day looking for something or another. He started complaining about needing for his gig that night but we were a whole 20 minute drive away. Bitch, moan, complain, gripe. I finally said, "do you need it tonight or not? If you do, the sooner you get in your car the sooner you'll be going back home."

Seriously, support your local drum shops. Yeah, I know, the guys can be real pricks at times. Cut 'em some slack though, they go through a lot of crap to make peanuts in those shops. And, in all honesty, the help is really bad at times because the store just can't afford good help...because nobody's shopping with them. It's a vicious circle that ultimately hurts both small business owners and consumers alike. When all the small shops are gone from an area, you better believe GC will jack their prices up. Why? Because you need it "then and there" for tonight's gig.

BillRayDrums

SGarrett":3ff3ikwd said:
BillRayDrums":3ff3ikwd said:
Rockula!":3ff3ikwd said:
Or, you can try this one

Did you ever have a customer grind you like that and then pull out fat roll of $20s? That pissed me right off.

Speaking of "then and there". I got a call from a guy one day looking for something or another. He started complaining about needing for his gig that night but we were a whole 20 minute drive away. Bitch, moan, complain, gripe. I finally said, "do you need it tonight or not? If you do, the sooner you get in your car the sooner you'll be going back home."

Seriously, support your local drum shops. Yeah, I know, the guys can be real pricks at times. Cut 'em some slack though, they go through a lot of crap to make peanuts in those shops. And, in all honesty, the help is really bad at times because the store just can't afford good help...because nobody's shopping with them. It's a vicious circle that ultimately hurts both small business owners and consumers alike. When all the small shops are gone from an area, you better believe GC will jack their prices up. Why? Because you need it "then and there" for tonight's gig.

Aside from the Rogers Dyna-Sonic guy the other most memorable customer flare-up was this:
Retail guys- we know that the boss is always trying to up the bottom line and what a customer asks for sets the tone of the sale.

Guy walks in, asks for the drumhead special "two for one". That usually works like this- Buy one head at regular list price, get the cheaper of the two for free. SO dude asks for 10" 12" 14" 16". He gets charged for the 12" and the 16". Sound fair? Came out to like $40.00

He calls back 30 minutes AFTER THE FACT and starts railing on me for overcharging him "I wanted half off"> I said "No, you asked for 2 for 1". Anyhow, he complained to my boss enough and the boss cut him the slack. Mind you, I was not on commission at all but had to CONSTANTLY endure the beratings for undercharging people. Now the boss completely undermined my "Authoritiah".
When that guy would come in after that it was common practice for me to pass him down to another salesperson. I mean, I would have the guitar guys handle him before I would.

Ahhhh retail, don't you just love it?

DrumsPlus

I have to admit you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I am just opening a small shop, and there really isn't a whole lot in my area, but from the way you guys make this sound, all anyone is looking for anymore is price... The reason I am opening the shop is because I believe that most of the shops in my area have forgotten about good old customer service. Do you guys think that is enough to sustain a shop now a days?

BillRayDrums

DrumsPlus":y7waovfg said:
I have to admit you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I am just opening a small shop, and there really isn't a whole lot in my area, but from the way you guys make this sound, all anyone is looking for anymore is price... The reason I am opening the shop is because I believe that most of the shops in my area have forgotten about good old customer service. Do you guys think that is enough to sustain a shop now a days?

Hey man you are FORTUNATE to see what is really out there by reading our crap stories.
Yes, the 14 year old with "Joey Jordison on the brain" is goingto grind the bejeezuz out of you, then not buy it from you. Rather, they will come in 2 weeks later with "it", broken (of course) and ask you to fix it. (can I get an AMEN, retail guys?)

Having a storefront is great!! Being able to hang out and have your peeps become regulars will be a great thing. But it's also very difficult to survive as just a storefront.

Check out http://georgesdrumshop.com (George Lawrence is the reason I became a professional drummer...I was 4 years old when I saw him play and from that moment on I knew why I was put on earth)

For as many horror stories as you will read about here, there are many triumphs in having a store.

Howepirate

BillRayDrums":37gqy8fp said:
automaster31":37gqy8fp said:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Tom-Arm?sku=445982

#1. They had it, you needed it.
#2. You would have paid for shipping anyway
#3. Supporting your local drum shop is ALWAYS a good thing. Because of Musician's Friends, GC, etc., the local shops are all going away and that's bad.

Next time you will be mail ordering it, because there won't BE a drum shop there.

Remember, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

No other posts should be in this topic, other than this one. This is the perfect answer. Shops require upkeep and need to pay often, very high utility bills hence, why they charge a bit more.

DrumsPlus

BillRayDrums":ip69o0lg said:
DrumsPlus":ip69o0lg said:

Hey man you are FORTUNATE to see what is really out there by reading our crap stories.
Yes, the 14 year old with "Joey Jordison on the brain" is goingto grind the bejeezuz out of you, then not buy it from you. Rather, they will come in 2 weeks later with "it", broken (of course) and ask you to fix it. (can I get an AMEN, retail guys?)

Having a storefront is great!! Being able to hang out and have your peeps become regulars will be a great thing. But it's also very difficult to survive as just a storefront.

Check out http://georgesdrumshop.com (George Lawrence is the reason I became a professional drummer...I was 4 years old when I saw him play and from that moment on I knew why I was put on earth)

For as many horror stories as you will read about here, there are many triumphs in having a store.

I started because of a little shop in Santa Clara, CA who took the time with me and showed me the ropes when I was 8. My son who is 11 went into 3 stores with $300 in cash in his pocket with me to get a snare drum, and yes he wanted the Joey Jordison snare, but only one of those stores let him even touch a drum with me around and I've been buying gear from them for years. He ended up not liking Joey's snare but we had to drive 2 and a half hours to get a shop that would let him try things out. That is when I decided that I wanted my own shop. It may not be perfect, and I will get a lot of lookers, but I think it's wrong to turn anyone away.

Rockula!

Yup
Then there's the guy who ground me on a STRAT PACK!!!!!!!!????????
He even asked me to carry it out to his car which was turned out to be a giant white SUV (with a "Dubya" sticker on it)
What a fuckass
I don't mind peoploe who are always "just looking" or the hangers on
That's fine, as long as they don't take up the time that I could be selling to someone else (i.e. making money)
I have never worked a music store that didn't rely on commission
Judging by my attitude on many of these threads, you can guess that I am not the most pleasant person to work with
My boses don't seem to care about my attitude as much when I deliver top level sales numbers, it is usually the other employees that can get a bit bitchy
I wouldn't care one bit if someone ground me on a price or kept me hovering if I was just making an hourly

Here's a word for PLUS
Please open a shop
Even if it fails
At least you will be providing an alternative to GC and Best Buy
The secret is involvment in the community
Ellis Drum Shop here in St Paul is the coolest place in the Twin Cities
They treat me with respect
They even yell "ROCKULA!" when I walk in, which makes me feel like Norm from Cheers
They have things that GC would never stock (like my recent 22 inch Han Chi Chineese cymbal I bought)
You are never going to be able to steal all of the "Joey Jordison on the brain's" from those lowest common denominator stores but you can cultivate the real musicians in your community
After all, most of those kids will fall by he wayside
The lifers are your target audience and they cannot be so easily swayed by a $5 price difference

I know Ellis has their own line of drums and they give "Artist" sponsorships to high profile locals (paying cost for a drumkit, as long as you keep the ELLIS DRUMSHOP logo on your front head)
I've often heard Tim say "If you're gonna be on somthing like Conan, Letterman or Leno, I will GIVE you a kit for free"
This is a great time to be an indie because the backlash has begun and it is gaining momentum
I see it in every costomer's face who realises they bouht an instrument that is one step above a toy from Best Buy or something that they didn't need from some guy trying to make a sale at GC

Trust is a valuable commodity
Indies live and die by that trust

SGarrett

AMEN brotha Billy. AMEN!!!

Here are two of my favorite customer blow-up stories.

1) I'd been working in the store for about a week when I get a call from a guy who was waiting for his lefty DW5002 double pedal. Apparently he'd been waiting for a while and it was entirely my fault. I tried to explain that we didn't have any control over what DW did or when they shipped their products out. He started yelling at me saying "well, you took my money didn't you?" "I just started working here last week." "Ok, your store took my money, RIGHT?!" "Yes, and we still don't have any control over Drum Workshop." He started yelling something else and I said, "whoa, dude, calm down...we can give you a refund if it's that big a deal." I shizz you not, he got this low almost growling tone in his voice and said "I'm your duuuuuuude." I said, "let me transfer you to my manager." Take a guess what I did? You got it, I "missed" the transfer button. Bastard.

2) This one was great. I'd talked to this guy a time or two about a Mapex steel piccolo. So he comes in one day with 4 or 5 year old son in tow to buy something he needed that night... and why not the snare while he was there. Now, I was already giving this guy a sweet deal below our daily 40% discount but he didn't have the bread. He needed something like $20 more dollars. This grown man, in his 30s and in front of his child, got beat red and started throwing a fit. He was saying "but I want it, I want it, I want it!!!" I was shocked. :shock: WTF mate? He was about to get it instead of what he needed that night. I tried to reason with him saying that it'd still be there the next day and finally got him calmed down enough to get out the door. I'm so glad my manager was there to see it. We actually looked right at each other while dude was wigging. You know, that kind of movie "WTF" look. Ah, god that was a great one. :D

Two of my least favorite time wasters.

1) This professional in his 40s decided to pick up drumming and was looking at a new kit. I spent literally three to four hours with him over five different visits. What does the bastard do? Buys the kit off of eBay for $50 cheaper after shipping. He called me about it and apologized but seriously. I told him that I could've given him the same price, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told my manager and he got that company busted for selling below MAP (minimum advertised pricing, for those of you who've never been in retail.), so that at least felt good.

2) Some guy in his 30s was picking drums back up after around ten years off. He wanted a Tama kit with the works. I spent two or three hours with him plus a few hours of research time on my own, looking stuff up and talking to the Hoshino rep. Dude called me one day and said that GC was going to give him a kit similar for about $100 less, on a $2500 setup. I was like, "man, c'com...how much time did I spend with you, educating you, helping you make up your mind?" He said, "well, I'm already here...blah, blah, blah" Yeah, "already here" was fifteen minutes away. Lazy bastard.

Three of my favorite "this job was worth it" stories.

1) It was a the end of a long day, about 20 minutes before closing, when this kid comes walking in with his dad. I'm guessing he was around eight or nine. You guessed it, he wanted a drum set. He pulled out the jar of change and I'll be damned if I didn't have to count out $250-ish in change right there. But the smile on that kid's face when he got his kit, man. No beating that. He just got one of cheapo $200-complete kit but I took extra time in tuning it up for him and telling dad what to do for muffling. Of course, seeing the look on the face of the manager who had to count me out for the night was pretty freaking great, too.

2) This guy had been coming in and just flat annoying the crap out of him, but I still answered his questions with a smile. He didn't really mean to be annoying and I couldn't really hold it against him because it was the "side effect" of a motorcycle accident he had. We were setting him up with a Starclassic Maple and Lars snare with all A Custom cymbals, yadda, yadda, yadda. Sadly, he didn't get the kind of money he should've gotten because the driver who hit him had a better lawyer. So, he had to back out of the sale. It didn't stop him from bothering me a few more times. The last time he left he stopped about half way down the stairs and walked back up until just his head was over the counter. He looked me right in the eye and said, "you know, you have a really good attitude". I just kind of chuckled because I thought he was joking around with me. But no, he got all serious on me and told me how nobody treated him like a person anymore. Another one of those moments that melted my heart.

3) There was kid named Sean who was taking lessons with Mike Johnston and patterning himself after Jose Pasillas. He was around 15 or 16 and really good drummer, but also really annoying. I was the only person who'd deal with him because I was the only person who could talk him out of his bad ideas. One day we got around to playing volume and he and his dad a little thing about how hard he hit. I just sat down on a kit and played the same volume he plays with less effort, using Moeller strokes. He was blown away. Gaddzooks. Well, he was off to his lesson but dad stuck around and thanked me for the amount of time I took with him, and for what I'd just shown him. Sadly, after I left the store he got ridiculed out the new crop of asshole salesmen, to becoming a GC customer.

4) And then there was the Ice Cream Man. No really. Dude was a frozen food driver and outstanding drummer who always brought us ice cream and frozen pizzas, just because we let him hang out as much as he wanted. The freezer in the store was always packed with stuff for us and nobody else could touch it! Muahahaha! The guitar guys hated that. I mean, really hated it. Go figure. Hahaha.

BillRayDrums

SGarrett":30jq9376 said:
AMEN brotha Billy. AMEN!!!

Here are two of my favorite customer blow-up stories.

1) I'd been working in the store for about a week when I get a call from a guy who was waiting for his lefty DW5002 double pedal. Apparently he'd been waiting for a while and it was entirely my fault. I tried to explain that we didn't have any control over what DW did or when they shipped their products out. He started yelling at me saying "well, you took my money didn't you?" "I just started working here last week." "Ok, your store took my money, RIGHT?!" "Yes, and we still don't have any control over Drum Workshop." He started yelling something else and I said, "whoa, dude, calm down...we can give you a refund if it's that big a deal." I shizz you not, he got this low almost growling tone in his voice and said "I'm your duuuuuuude." I said, "let me transfer you to my manager." Take a guess what I did? You got it, I "missed" the transfer button. Bastard.

2) This one was great. I'd talked to this guy a time or two about a Mapex steel piccolo. So he comes in one day with 4 or 5 year old son in tow to buy something he needed that night... and why not the snare while he was there. Now, I was already giving this guy a sweet deal below our daily 40% discount but he didn't have the bread. He needed something like $20 more dollars. This grown man, in his 30s and in front of his child, got beat red and started throwing a fit. He was saying "but I want it, I want it, I want it!!!" I was shocked. :shock: WTF mate? He was about to get it instead of what he needed that night. I tried to reason with him saying that it'd still be there the next day and finally got him calmed down enough to get out the door. I'm so glad my manager was there to see it. We actually looked right at each other while dude was wigging. You know, that kind of movie "WTF" look. Ah, god that was a great one. :D

Two of my least favorite time wasters.

1) This professional in his 40s decided to pick up drumming and was looking at a new kit. I spent literally three to four hours with him over five different visits. What does the bastard do? Buys the kit off of eBay for $50 cheaper after shipping. He called me about it and apologized but seriously. I told him that I could've given him the same price, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told my manager and he got that company busted for selling below MAP (minimum advertised pricing, for those of you who've never been in retail.), so that at least felt good.

2) Some guy in his 30s was picking drums back up after around ten years off. He wanted a Tama kit with the works. I spent two or three hours with him plus a few hours of research time on my own, looking stuff up and talking to the Hoshino rep. Dude called me one day and said that GC was going to give him a kit similar for about $100 less, on a $2500 setup. I was like, "man, c'com...how much time did I spend with you, educating you, helping you make up your mind?" He said, "well, I'm already here...blah, blah, blah" Yeah, "already here" was fifteen minutes away. Lazy bastard.

Three of my favorite "this job was worth it" stories.

1) It was a the end of a long day, about 20 minutes before closing, when this kid comes walking in with his dad. I'm guessing he was around eight or nine. You guessed it, he wanted a drum set. He pulled out the jar of change and I'll be damned if I didn't have to count out $250-ish in change right there. But the smile on that kid's face when he got his kit, man. No beating that. He just got one of cheapo $200-complete kit but I took extra time in tuning it up for him and telling dad what to do for muffling. Of course, seeing the look on the face of the manager who had to count me out for the night was pretty freaking great, too.

2) This guy had been coming in and just flat annoying the crap out of him, but I still answered his questions with a smile. He didn't really mean to be annoying and I couldn't really hold it against him because it was the "side effect" of a motorcycle accident he had. We were setting him up with a Starclassic Maple and Lars snare with all A Custom cymbals, yadda, yadda, yadda. Sadly, he didn't get the kind of money he should've gotten because the driver who hit him had a better lawyer. So, he had to back out of the sale. It didn't stop him from bothering me a few more times. The last time he left he stopped about half way down the stairs and walked back up until just his head was over the counter. He looked me right in the eye and said, "you know, you have a really good attitude". I just kind of chuckled because I thought he was joking around with me. But no, he got all serious on me and told me how nobody treated him like a person anymore. Another one of those moments that melted my heart.

3) There was kid named Sean who was taking lessons with Mike Johnston and patterning himself after Jose Pasillas. He was around 15 or 16 and really good drummer, but also really annoying. I was the only person who'd deal with him because I was the only person who could talk him out of his bad ideas. One day we got around to playing volume and he and his dad a little thing about how hard he hit. I just sat down on a kit and played the same volume he plays with less effort, using Moeller strokes. He was blown away. Gaddzooks. Well, he was off to his lesson but dad stuck around and thanked me for the amount of time I took with him, and for what I'd just shown him. Sadly, after I left the store he got ridiculed out the new crop of asshole salesmen, to becoming a GC customer.

4) And then there was the Ice Cream Man. No really. Dude was a frozen food driver and outstanding drummer who always brought us ice cream and frozen pizzas, just because we let him hang out as much as he wanted. The freezer in the store was always packed with stuff for us and nobody else could touch it! Muahahaha! The guitar guys hated that. I mean, really hated it. Go figure. Hahaha.

Geez those are great stories. We too had a guy who would bring food to us from Sam's Cheesecake Factory in San Diego. Just AWESOME stuff. Dude would bring in about 10 cheesecakes and just drop 'em off! And we are talking GOURMET stuff. Oh man we got so sick of cheesecake that we eventually ended up giving them away to customers!!
Imagine the delight when a customer would come in for sticks or strings, and ends up walking out with a $30 cheesecake? Now THAT'S service!! I'mm bet Musician's Friends wouldn't do that....

Atmerrill

DrumsPlus":2wj7or9a said:

I'd drive out of my way (and often do) for the shops who are as much about servicing the customer as they are about making "the sale." Bill Ray spoke about Franc Uberti in San Diego. Talk about customer service: About 13 years ago I was playing a gig at the Del Mar Fair. I had just picked up a batch of heads for a kit I had recovered, and had a custom artwork front bass head made. Take the bass out of the case at the fair and the batter head (an Evans) had pulled out of the hoop. I was stunned and it was a brand new head. Franc gets in his car, fights the traffic, and brings me a new batter head (at 4:00 pm) for the show. Talk about customer appreciation and customer service.

The folks who will drive you down for the extra buck are annoying, and its sad for the small guys. Yet, I've seen small stores across the country who maintain brisk business just because they do what you're intending. Sometimes folks need to be reminded of why you're there - I'd tell them. Treat your customer base right, you'll never need to. Good luck with your store. We need more of you.

BillRayDrums

Atmerrill":p77bce32 said:
DrumsPlus":p77bce32 said:

I'd drive out of my way (and often do) for the shops who are as much about servicing the customer as they are about making "the sale." Bill Ray spoke about Franc Uberti in San Diego. Talk about customer service: About 13 years ago I was playing a gig at the Del Mar Fair. I had just picked up a batch of heads for a kit I had recovered, and had a custom artwork front bass head made. Take the bass out of the case at the fair and the batter head (an Evans) had pulled out of the hoop. I was stunned and it was a brand new head. Franc gets in his car, fights the traffic, and brings me a new batter head (at 4:00 pm) for the show. Talk about customer appreciation and customer service.

The folks who will drive you down for the extra buck are annoying, and its sad for the small guys. Yet, I've seen small stores across the country who maintain brisk business just because they do what you're intending. Sometimes folks need to be reminded of why you're there - I'd tell them. Treat your customer base right, you'll never need to. Good luck with your store. We need more of you.

Not to mention negotiating that clusterthing that is the Del Mar Fair.....sheesh he could have charged you a "pain in the ass fee" just for getting anywhere near there!!

Franc is the bomb. Here's their site. Send him a message and tell him just how badass he is. :)

http://www.musicmartusa.com/

Rockula!

I can completely understand the positive aspect of being a salesman
You guys may have to deal with my pig headednes and my fellow salespeople may have to deal with my aggressive sales personality but I try to NEVER talk down to a customer

Here's my story
I was a little kid that was very heavy into KISS
I went into the Melody Shop and saw a black Flying V with a white pickguard and asked the guy behind the counter if I could hold it for a second
He replied "PPPPPFFFFFFTTTTT.....NO!" while looking down his nose at me
It made me feel smaller than I already was

I always indulge kids if they really are excited about a piece and I have the time to make sure it doesn't get damaged
One of my biggest single sales was because I handed some 13 year old a 57 Les Paul Custom reissue and plugged him into a Marshall half stack
I ended up selling him both plus a Taylor and some DJ equipment
He paid the $8500 purchase in $100 bills
Then I caried his stuff out to the parking lot
I realised that his dad was some NASCAR driver because he was signing autographs in front of this huge ass car trailer
"Looks like you finally got your gear" says the dad
"Yeah, this guy was the first one who didn't treat me like a little kid" says the little kid

I try not to give my opinions on the type of music that kids listen to
In fact, the salesman that can talk to a kid on their level and give insight into how the music they love is made is the salesman that will be #1 at the end of the month
No matter how much I wanna tell that kid how much his favorite band sucks, it would be the dumbest thing in the world
Plus, I don't wanna be THAT GUY
I'm sure that KISS really did suck to that guy who made me feel small

DrumsPlus

Rockula!":305f5hyw said:
I can completely understand the positive aspect of being a salesman
You guys may have to deal with my pig headednes and my fellow salespeople may have to deal with my aggressive sales personality but I try to NEVER talk down to a customer

Here's my story
I was a little kid that was very heavy into KISS
I went into the Melody Shop and saw a black Flying V with a white pickguard and asked the guy behind the counter if I could hold it for a second
He replied "PPPPPFFFFFFTTTTT.....NO!" while looking down his nose at me
It made me feel smaller than I already was

I always indulge kids if they really are excited about a piece and I have the time to make sure it doesn't get damaged
One of my biggest single sales was because I handed some 13 year old a 57 Les Paul Custom reissue and plugged him into a Marshall half stack
I ended up selling him both plus a Taylor and some DJ equipment
He paid the $8500 purchase in $100 bills
Then I caried his stuff out to the parking lot
I realised that his dad was some NASCAR driver because he was signing autographs in front of this huge ass car trailer
"Looks like you finally got your gear" says the dad
"Yeah, this guy was the first one who didn't treat me like a little kid" says the little kid

I try not to give my opinions on the type of music that kids listen to
In fact, the salesman that can talk to a kid on their level and give insight into how the music they love is made is the salesman that will be #1 at the end of the month
No matter how much I wanna tell that kid how much his favorite band sucks, it would be the dumbest thing in the world
Plus, I don't wanna be THAT GUY
I'm sure that KISS really did suck to that guy who made me feel small

I was a sales manager for 7 years and two things I have always taught to my guys is to respect everyone that walks in the door and just plan listen. We all have different taste and go about doing things differently, I just feel that a lot of places these days don't pay attention to their customers.

Also, my son did buy his first snare at Ellis Drum shop. It was the only place that would give him the time of day. My business model looks like theirs...