i dont like the sound of my tom heads at all

i have a 2005 tama superstar drum set and i use coated remo pinstripes on my 2 rack toms and floor tom. i rele dont like the sound, i want em kinda low but its tooo flat. i had coated evans g2s and i didnt lik em and not i got the pimstripes last month and it sounds better than the g2s but i still dont like the sound. i know so many people that have great sounding drums. how can i get that sound?

Rockaflodge

try useing clear pinstrips, I have used them for 10 year, The coated heads have a deep tone but sound dry and flate to me.

RogersDrummer

Remo Fiberskyn. I cant stress that enough. if you want your drums to sound full, fat, get those. they will also last you a very long time.
They have a very natural sound.

rob

Rockaflodge

and another thing, get ride of those moon gels, the remo sound rings work alot better. the moon gels just never cut it for me and its a bicth trying to kept them clean. I hope that helps too.

screamkevin

I use MoonGels sparingly, but I don't have a problem cleaning them. I just toss my sets (I have 2 sets of 4 that I rotate) into a small vented bag and into the washer they go.

scrubs

Jesus, man! Pinstripes + MoonGel = Dead sounding. Can't get much more cardboard box than that.

Try some single ply heads. Clear or coated ambassadors are generally a safe bet. Try to get the right sound through tuning alone and only use moongels if absolutely needed.

Oh, and moongels can be washed with warm soapy water - just air dry them, since towel lint will stick to them.

drumjo7182

i use remo emporor clean on top and any single ply clear evans on the bottom and always get a killer sound out of any kit.

pooJken

I have a superstar kit too
I use remo pinstripe as batter heads, and tune them not to tight
for bottem heads I once played withe orginial TAMA ones, they are good, but clear ambassadors are better,

tune the bottom heads a little higher than the batter ones, it gives you a nice low attack and a nice sustain, wich is not to long

rusty4u2

tama drums and bmx rule":i9rvglj1 said:
i have a 2005 tama superstar drum set and i use coated remo pinstripes on my 2 rack toms and floor tom. i rele dont like the sound, i want em kinda low but its tooo flat. i had coated evans g2s and i didnt lik em and not i got the pimstripes last month and it sounds better than the g2s but i still dont like the sound. i know so many people that have great sounding drums. how can i get that sound?

It's all to do with the damping and tuning.

You could have amazing remo heads that sound rubbish
and you could get rubbish heads that sound amazing

because of the tunning and damping but good heads such as remo and evans have more of a dry sound to it.

But you have to think to yourself what sound you want from your heads.

Do you want a fat wet sound?
Or a dry sound?,A metal sound or jazzy sound?