i am looking into saludas for a new versatile setup

pegleg

ok, so up until now i've been a Sabian man, i still am, but Saluda has been catching my eye(especially since i'm on a tight budget as a college student). going by some of Kevin's videos, they sounds just as good. so here's the thing...
i play in 3 very different bands. my church, the Baptist Student Union, and my band. and i need some cymbals that would work in all 3 settings.

church=older gospel and/or softer contemporary. i can cut loose on a *few* songs, like 3 of the ones we know

BSU=more recent and/or rockier contemporary(casting crowns, jeremy camp, stuff that's a little more rock-ish)

my band=between underoath, emery, and anberlin(best description i can give)

for the spec's i'm looking for...

hihat=nice clean sound closed, not extremely bright, but not dark either. i don't do a lot of open hat stuff, so the open sound doesn't really worry me too much, but nothing too trashy.

splash=as long as it gets the job done. my current is a simple 10" B8, which i really like and plan on keeping in the setup while adding a second. so preferably something that will work with the B8

crashes=i'm thinking 16" and 18". currents are 15 and 18" AAXplosions. i plan on keeping the 15 in the setup(for my band). so something that will work with it. i definitely want a raw bell on the 18. i use my xplosion's bell all the time, but it's too loud of a crash for my church and usually the BSU, so i at least need something with a fairly quick decay when i crash it. the 16" would probably be my chorus crash.

china= probably just for my band. maybe the BSU. no real specifications.

ride=a good bell, and a good sound for the different bands. i really don't like my rides to ring out very long.

the important upgrades are the hihats and ride. both of which a currently low grade. sabian B8s and zildjian ZBT (ok, so the ride isn't THAT bad)( i have a B8 rock ride too, but meh). i can hold off on the crashes/splash/china for a while.

all in all, i'll end up mixing sabian and saluda until one of them wants to endorse me :lol:

screamkevin

Pegleg,

Glad to hear that you're considering incorporating a selection of Saludas into your kit! I'll make a few suggestions for you, based on what you are looking for.

Hi-Hats:
nice clean sound closed, not extremely bright, but not dark either. i don't do a lot of open hat stuff, so the open sound doesn't really worry me too much, but nothing too trashy.
I'd suggest a set of 13" Glory Medium weight Hats. They have a nice, sweet tone, somewhat dry, and defined.
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/glory.php

Splash:
as long as it gets the job done. my current is a simple 10" B8, which i really like and plan on keeping in the setup while adding a second. so preferably something that will work with the B8
I'd suggest either a Mist-X 8" Thin Splash. That should play nicely with the B8, while providing a totally seperate sound so they don't blend too much.
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/mistx2.php

Crash(es):
crashes=i'm thinking 16" and 18". currents are 15 and 18" AAXplosions. i plan on keeping the 15 in the setup(for my band). so something that will work with it. i definitely want a raw bell on the 18. i use my xplosion's bell all the time, but it's too loud of a crash for my church and usually the BSU, so i at least need something with a fairly quick decay when i crash it. the 16" would probably be my chorus crash.
Here, I suggest selections from the Hybrid-X line. Very dark, very quick. You can get a custom made 18" with a raw bell easily, and you have the option to have them vented to your specifications. For the decay issues, make the weights either thin or medium-thin.
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/hybridx2.php

Ride
ride=a good bell, and a good sound for the different bands. i really don't like my rides to ring out very long.
May I recommend something from the Black Mist line? These are very complex cymbals, and perfect for what you are looking for. They are very dry, with an unlathed top side. The "ping" is a really cool complex tone that works well with all types of music. Something in a medium weight, 20" size should work for you.
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/emperorsedition2.php

If you have any more questions, just ask. Again, these are only my suggestions, you can get what you want. Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!!

pegleg

those crashes seem like they'd be good for the church, and some of the stuff we do at the BSU, but what about louder situations with my band. would those crashes, being darker, be able to cut through?

screamkevin

Absolutely. Remember, "dark" doesn't mean "quiet". I have an old 1988 16" Zildjian K Custom Dark Crash on display in my basement that'll tear your face off at 50 feet. "Dark" just refers to the tone (tuning, if you will) of the cymbal. Bright cymbals are more cutting, while dark cymbals have a smoky, mysterious tone. But you can still get plenty of volume with 'em!