I am goin to MURDER...

Multibomber

the person responsible for the shitty throw-off on my 13" Yamaha Musashi snare!! I've replaced it 3 times already and its breaking again!! The same thing happens everytime. The lever starts getting loose and wobbles left and right and then will disengage and then you have to use 2 hands to fix it. I thought of buying a Trick throwoff but I'd have to drill holes and line it up right and all kinds of other shit which I'm terrible at. Does anybody know where I can get a throwoff that will fit right in and I wont have to drill any holes in my snare?

Multibomber + power tools = Emergency Room

Steaky

Thats not like Yamaha, they must be dropping their standards. Yamaha have always made dependable gear that survives well into the years of use and abuse. You should never need to "after market" Yammy snare throws.
My Abso Maple snare is suffering chrome flaking off the rims that actually gave me a painful splinter not long ago. What is going on with them???

Multibomber

The snare sounds beautiful but they put crappy hardware on it on purpose so they could make a good sounding snare that was inexpensive. I mean I bought it new from Guitar Center for $180. I'll pay a lot of money for certain things, but a snare drum isnt one of them.

vincemie

quick question multibomber... i respect your desire not to pay a lot for a snare drum but im curious as to why you wont spend a lot on a snare but you will on other stuff, and what that stuff is. for me personally ill throw down a few hundred on a snare drum if its what i want/need, because i know ill be using it an awful lot when i play. im also aware that you can get good snare drum sounds without spending a lot of money.

Multibomber

I cant find one single drum related thing that warrents a huge price tag. I dont think any one thing on my drums cost more than $200, even though the total cost with drums, paint, cymbals, racks, hardware, pedals, and heads was around $2700. I've just noticed that stuff thats really expensive doesnt sound better than things that arent. All my cymbals were between $90 and $190. I even got my Handsonic for $199 because the screen was broken. Cost me $45 to replace the screen! I have played tons and tons of snare drums and have never ever ever found one that sounded so great that it justified its $500 price tag. I personally think that unless drums are defective and poorly made, you can get any set to sound great with proper heads and tuning. The only drum related thing I would pay over $300 for would be some Axis Longboards and either a Sabian Fierce Ride or Sabian Paragon Ride (all on Ebay of course)

kplante069

Sometimes you do get what you pay for though. I don't disagree that alot of stuff costs more than I would want to spend. However When you spend $180 on a new snare from GC most of the time it's not going to have the same quality of hardware as a $500 drum. You might not hear a big difference but as you found out the throw is junk or maybe the lugs strip out after a while. Just sayin. :)

vincemie

also more expensive materials and construction can make the higher price worth the while in overall quality, sound, playability, enjoyability, and length of time before it needs to be fixed. for example i paid $600 for a craviotto unlimited series maple solid shell snare drum. solid shell drums are very different than all other drums and anyone who has played one knows what i am talking about and what that difference is, and all solid shell drums start out at a more expensive price range. while i totally agree you can get good and even GREAT sounds from lower and moderate priced drums with proper tuning and head selection, your never going to get the quality and experience you can potentially get with some higher priced drums. but hats off to you frugal one, you have more money in your pocket after you leave the drum shop.

Multibomber

Yeah, I have thought long and hard about getting a Craviotto snare because they do sound friggin sweet. Played an $800 one at GC and was in love. Thats what inspired me to crank the my snare to new tensions previously thought impossible. And I was well aware of the fact that my snare had cheap hardware, just didnt know to what extent... although the finish is quite nice! Black translucent laquer over oak looks really nice!