hybrid kit users?

m

seems like few people are gigging w/ full E-kits, so I'm wondering who out there is using a hybrid A/E kit for gigs?
I'd like to see your config if you're using that approach.

I'm about to reconfigure my setup for the next tour, just thought I might take a peek at how anybody else is doing it.

I use a hybrid.
Acoustic:
Tama bass drum 22x20"
Tom 12"
Tom 18"
Tom 25"
Sabian B8 series rock crash
Sabian B8 series rock ride
Sabian B8 series rock hats
Electric:
Roland TD-6V brain
Pintech Mesh heads
V-Kick bass pad trigger
Pintech PC series rubber cymbals and hats
Hardware:
Tama standard straight cymbal stand x2
Tama standard hi-hat stand
Gibralter hi-hat stand
Gibralter double bass pedal
Gibralter single bass pedal
Gibralter standard V-rack
Gibralter swivel throne

m":36t433vp said:
seems like few people are gigging w/ full E-kits, so I'm wondering who out there is using a hybrid A/E kit for gigs?

I'm about to reconfigure my setup for the next tour, just thought I might take a peek at how anybody else is doing it.
My setup is a simple pattern
From left to right

A/crash E/crash
A/tom1 A/Tom2 E/Tom1 E/tom 2A/ride
A/hats A/snare E/hats A/tom 3 E/ride
E/snare E/Bass Throne A/bass E/tom3

vgarate

m":10yujiqg said:

Well, I'm been wondering how it would be better for using a comfortable kit during club gigs, I don't know if it'll work just because I still don't dare to bring the set as I describe:

A/Cymbals
A/Snare
E/Kick and Toms

I don't know if this will work, anyone has experienced this kind of set up? any advices?

m

vgarate":2pvehqwf said:
Well, I'm been wondering how it would be better for using a comfortable kit during club gigs, I don't know if it'll work just because I still don't dare to bring the set as I describe:

A/Cymbals
A/Snare
E/Kick and Toms

I don't know if this will work, anyone has experienced this kind of set up? any advices?
that's pretty much what I did for the past year, except I used an acoustic bass.
However, the bass was triggered, not miked, so thru the PA I basically had E-toms and bass, w/ acoustic snare and cymbals. There are some compromises to be made for this to run smoothly, but overall it's a very convenient approach, I felt.
I'm still trying to decide how I will approach it next tour, but I think it will always include some E-aspects; the hybrid factor is just too useful to abandon.

sjdrummerboy

I use a Hybrid Kit

I use a Custom Tama Artstar Artist series Kit (MY own)
2 22 x 18 Kicks
1 8 x 10
1 9.5 x 12
1 10.5 x 13
1 13 x 14 suspended Floor
1 16 x 16 suspended Floor
1 18 x 20 suspended floor
1 7 x 14 Brass
1 6.5 x 14 Chrome

3 10" Pintech concertcast Pads
2 12" Pintech concast pads
2 Pintech Bass Pads
1 Tama 3.5 x 14 w/ DDrum trigger

Electronics are running through a Yamaha DTX 2.0
and a EMU Procussion module
also running with a Yamaha DTX Keyboard

Cymbals:

1 Pr Paiste Colorsound5 14" HH (RED)
1 Pr. Paiste Colorsound 13" HH (RED)
1 Paiste colorsound5 20" Heavy rock Ride (Black)
1 Paiste Colorsound5 16" Rock Crash (Black)
1 Paiste colorsound5 18" rock Crash (Black)
2 Paiste Colorsound 20" China's (RED)
for acoustic set up

Sabian AAx 16 18 20 Crashes
Sabian AAx 20 ride
sabian 18, 20 AAx China's

and I'm adding some various splashes and
Some dingbats to both sides of the kit

I will try getting some photos up once we complete the studio stuff

Forgot everything is mounted using a 2Gibraltar Full cages circa 1990 version. The true Power I believe it was called back then

The Duster

I'm just getting into hybrid kits as well. Still buying the parts, but the goal is to be able to switch back and forth between "looped" parts and "live" parts. We're fusing hard rock with trip-hop, drum & bass, etc.

Here's what I'm aiming toward:
5pc kit w/ a double kick pedal and a suspended floor tom. Then I'll add on a popcorn snare and possibly a second hi-hat, for a live drum & bass feel. For electronics, I'll have a Roland KD-7 kick pedal (the downward kind)to the right of my kick drum, under the suspended floor tom. I'll have a couple roland pads to play various hi-hat/snare/effects combinations. One of the pads will usually be set up to trigger the same sound as the kick drum, so i can in essence have a double kick on my E-kit as well, without extra pedals.

Should be lots of fun, and can't wait to start creating all sorts of weird shit with it.

I'll take a picture once it's all set up, and post here if anyone's interested.

dob?

id love to combine an electric kit with my acoustic... still keeping all of my acoustic stuff, just having some electric tom and cymbal pads for effects (kind of like neil peart)

Kaos

Im using a roland spd-s double triggering my bass drum and then using it for samples and effects. I have an alesis d4 and and some triggers but I prefer the accoustic sounds on my drums so Im getting rid of that stuff.

I use an Alesis dm5,midiverb 4, yamaha dtx 2,with DDrum redshots/Pro triggers

Tama Starclassic in "Rock Chrome"

10"x8" rack tom Evans black mesh heads

12"x9" rack tom Evans black mesh heads

16"x16" floor tom Evans black mesh heads

18"x24" bass drum x2 (2 bass drum triggers on each kick) Evans black mesh heads

and a set of 18"x22"'s x2(2 bass drum triggers on each kick) used seprate.

Evans black mesh heads

I wouldnt have it any other way

m

ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH":12cwde1h said:
I use an Alesis dm5,midiverb 4, yamaha dtx 2,with DDrum redshots/Pro triggers
2 bass drum triggers on each kick) used seprate.
Ok- you got me curious~
why 2 seperate triggers on each?