Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More

• Less

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

65Premier

Just getting back into setting all the groundwork for giving lessons again. The first time I did not set "ground rules" for payment and I am also not sure on the rate I should charge. Any suggestions on what is reasonable?
Thanks!

drummert2k

in the area i live teachers usually charge between 10 and 15 bucks for a half hour lesson. i choose to charge the lesser amount just because i know when i used to want lessons years and years and years ago when i frst started i couldnt take them because i could never afford them. so i go with the lower price that is charged in my area.

i charge 25 an hour. i think musicians should be paid for what we do, since we have dedicated much of our lives to it. not many people can say they enjoy their work. most musicians live to work, and work to live. it's not work if you're enjoying it.

Flatliner

I'd say $10/half-hour is the lowest someone should charge for lessons, that is more than resonable, I've paid as much as $40 for half an hour and $65 for an hour.

demonicAngel

kevin owns at life":4osz7lo0 said:
i charge 25 an hour. i think musicians should be paid for what we do, since we have dedicated much of our lives to it. not many people can say they enjoy their work. most musicians live to work, and work to live. it's not work if you're enjoying it.
No offence but im pretty sure you charge too much... i dont know if it's just me, but you dont seem too knowledgeable.

In my town, Aaron Carter (not the kid singer) won the north american championships for snare drumming a few years in a row now. He charges 15$ a half hour, but he teaches from beginner to advanced, all styles. Dom Fabularo (world famous teacher) charges 90$ an hour. The ones that charge more, are suposed to be A LOT more experienced(but he's famous, and pretty busy). Find out how people charge in your town, and gadge it from there.

alex.

AngryGandhi

in CT i take lessons at Dynamic Percussion in Manchester, where they charge $20 a half hour... it's well worht it though, i am learning alot

James_85

Im thinkin of starting teaching, beginner level stuf tho cos iv never taught before and im doin it cos i need the money and wanna put my kit to more use. any uk teachers here? does £7 / hour sound reasonable?

demonicAngel":3gldipvh said:
kevin owns at life":3gldipvh said:
No offence but im pretty sure you charge too much... i dont know if it's just me, but you dont seem too knowledgeable.

In my town, Aaron Carter (not the kid singer) won the north american championships for snare drumming a few years in a row now. He charges 15$ a half hour, but he teaches from beginner to advanced, all styles. Dom Fabularo (world famous teacher) charges 90$ an hour. The ones that charge more, are suposed to be A LOT more experienced(but he's famous, and pretty busy). Find out how people charge in your town, and gadge it from there.

alex.

i'm sorry. if i posted more on here, would i be more knowledgeable? it's your call. i used to pay 30 dollars for half an hour of lessons.

A

Anonymous

"i charge 25 an hour. i think musicians should be paid for what we do, since we have dedicated much of our lives to it. not many people can say they enjoy their work. most musicians live to work, and work to live. it's not work if you're enjoying it."

thats what i charge here in MN for 30mins.......however for younger kids and beginners i charge bout 15 or 20 for a half hour

Timekeep69

I charge $10 for a half hour lesson. I haven't had any complaints.

I give lessons for fun and extra pocket cash, I don't see a need to charge any more.

llllarry

Wow I thought paying $18 for a half-hour was good for my lessons, now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting ripped off :D

josdrummer08

its already hard enough to afford the set for somone in college or high school and keeping it maintained. damn its all to expensive it makes drumming which is what i love seem like the rich mans hoby. i think that teachers should be more affordable

funkengrooven

My rate in Australia is Au$60 per hour ($30/half hour).
To put it in perspective, Queensland Music Teacher's Union rate is $52/hour.
I've paid anywhere between $70-$100 per hour for lessons with international-level pro's.

learndrumset

I charge $40.00 dollars U.S. an hour with the option of a $20.00 half hour session per week. The payment is due first lesson of the month and a $5.00 late fee is applied to the total payment if any money from the month is still due after the 12th day of the month. General Excise Tax of 4.16% is added in Hawaii bringing total payment to a minimum of $83.33 a month.
I give away a free half hour lesson to new students who either purchase their drums through me or give referal to a new student to me. For every referred student who signs up for a month or more of lessons my client recieves one free on the next lesson.
There are no refunds for lessons paid however I discount the following month accordingly when I or my students cancel within 24 hrs. Often a make up lesson will be a full hour in length so money does not need to change hands or change amounts the following month. If the studio charges more than $3.00 an hour the student is also charged for the rent of the studio. If it is a house call no additional money is charged to the student but rather the lesson is a mandatory hour long session bringing the price to $40.00 an hour + tax.
This is a good policy and if your interested in having me enforce it for you, you too can become a part of I.M.P.

drummer4thefreaks

Flatliner":3liedmiq said:
I'd say $10/half-hour is the lowest someone should charge for lessons, that is more than resonable, I've paid as much as $40 for half an hour and $65 for an hour.
i'd have to answer that by saying 'holy hell'. Expensivness, i hope that teacher was bloody good lol.

I think the general price in England is £10/ half hour, £20/hour, but im gunna ssume that most people on this forum are from somewhere outside the UK... That converts to $20/half hour and $40/hour lol o_O Looks more expensive like that :O

tchfunkta

josdrummer08":6pb1oog0 said:
its already hard enough to afford the set for somone in college or high school and keeping it maintained. damn its all to expensive it makes drumming which is what i love seem like the rich mans hoby. i think that teachers should be more affordable
For those who've spent their life working on their art and paid to get there, doesn't it only make sense for them to get paid for their time? Musicians get paid terribly as it is by crappy clubs and bars, so when giving one on one help, they should expect to be paid as a specially trained person.

funkengrooven

tchfunkta":35hnoph4 said:
josdrummer08":35hnoph4 said:
For those who've spent their life working on their art and paid to get there, doesn't it only make sense for them to get paid for their time? Musicians get paid terribly as it is by crappy clubs and bars, so when giving one on one help, they should expect to be paid as a specially trained person.
^^^^^ what he said.
Any professional who spends many years working to become highly trained and educated in his/her chosen field should be entitled to reap the rewards of their labour. Good musicians pay their dues, just like anyone else.
Sure, getting lessons from a pro is a sacrifice, but it is also an investment in your future and your life skills.