How to tell a bad kit from a good one???

Brian L

My friend was asking me if I knew how to tell a bad kit from a good one. I can only say that from my experience it seemed that the cheaper drumsets had bigger toms. like 12 and 13 toms, and the good ones usually came with 10 and 12. what do you guys think and is there anymore suggestions? I was just wondering.

SGarrett

So a Pearl Masters with 12" and 13" toms is cheap? ;)

Look at the shells, the bearing edges, the hardware, the wrap if applicable, and the overall manufacturing. Cheap drums will have poorly cut bearing edges and use pot metal for the hardware.

phil-drummer

my beginner kit came with 10"&12" , my advice would be to " play the kit " or " check out how empty your wallet is after you buy one "

skitch

Brian L":2gqantbi said:
My friend was asking me if I knew how to tell a bad kit from a good one. I can only say that from my experience it seemed that the cheaper drumsets had bigger toms. like 12 and 13 toms, and the good ones usually came with 10 and 12. what do you guys think and is there anymore suggestions? I was just wondering.
The sizes are irrelevant - you need to play it and, if possible, take one the drums apart and look for flaws in the construction.

Martybabes

A good way to test how good the bearing edges are, is to take the skins of the drum, place the drum on a totally flat surface, and shine a light inside the drum, if any of the light shows outside the shell on the surface, the bearing edges are uneven, with good quality shells, no light should leak out.

phil-drummer

Martybabes":1vhjt30b said:
shine a light inside the drum, if any of the light shows outside the shell on the surface, the bearing edges are uneven, with good quality shells, no light should leak out.
with the exception of vent holes,

Martybabes

phil-drummer":3i92x0uj said:
Martybabes":3i92x0uj said:
shine a light inside the drum, if any of the light shows outside the shell on the surface, the bearing edges are uneven, with good quality shells, no light should leak out.
with the exception of vent holes,
Ahh thanks for that. My mistake

mattcore

A realy easy way is to find out what kind of wood it is made out of. For example you cant go wrong with maple or birch. If it is a mystery wood its usually not going to be that great of a kit. Also look at the price if it cost $10,000 theres obviously somethin good about it.

Homki890

If the kit, hardware, pedal, cymbals, sticks and throne can fit inside a box made for a 27'' TV, something isn't fitting.

Homki890

devilspain

yeah i can usually tell when the price says its above a grand. also check if it has the tom holders not goin into the shell of your toms then its prob a decent kit.